سكة حديد لندن وكرويدون

سكة حديد لندن وكرويدون

تم تفويض سكك حديد لندن وكرويدون من قبل البرلمان في عام 1835. وكان الخط الذي يبلغ طوله تسعة أميال يمتد من Corbetts Lane Junction على سكة حديد لندن وغرينتش إلى كرويدون تم افتتاحه في عام 1839. وبلغت التكلفة الإجمالية لبناء الخط 615،160 جنيهًا إسترلينيًا (70،240 جنيهًا إسترلينيًا لكل ميل) ).

من سبتمبر 1841 ، بدأت سكة حديد لندن وبرايتون باستخدام مسار لندن وكرويدون. بعد خمس سنوات اندمجت لندن وبرايتون مع لندن وكرويدون لتشكيل سكة حديد لندن وبرايتون وساوث كوست.


سكة حديد لندن وكرويدون - التاريخ

محاولة قيادة القطارات بضغط الهواء

على الرغم من أن القاطرة هي التي جعلت السكك الحديدية - التي لم تكن تمثل حتى الآن سوى عدد قليل من ترام المنجم - نجاحًا تجاريًا ، كان هناك من بين الرجال الرواد الذين تساءلوا عما إذا كان لا يمكن تشغيل القطارات بسرعة وكفاءة دون استخدام القاطرات على الإطلاق. في المقام الأول ، كان يُعتقد أن القاطرات لن تتمكن من تسلق التلال. كان برونل مستعدًا تمامًا ليجد أنه اضطر إلى توجيه القطارات إلى الضفة الطويلة عبر نفق الصندوق ، على الرغم من أنه كان يأمل في أن تطور محركاته ذات العيار العريض طاقة كبيرة. في هذه الحالة ، أثبتت أنها مساوية للصعود ، ولم يتم استخدام الكابلات مطلقًا في Box ، كما كانت في بعض المنحدرات الأخرى في البلاد. كانت الثقوب التي أغرقها برونيل من قمة التل إلى النفق ضرورية ، بعد كل شيء ، للتهوية التي ساعدت في إزالة الدخان الذي قال المتشائمون إنه سيخنق الركاب في ما كان آنذاك أطول نفق في العالم.

كان الدخان هو الاعتراض الثاني على القاطرة. ربما لم يكن أسوأ من الغبار على الطريق ، وبالتأكيد لم يكن سيئًا مثل الطين ، ولكن الانطباع بأن السكك الحديدية كانت قذرة. أخبرت ، أن ، من إطلاق النار. كان المزارعون خائفين من أن تحترق عرباتهم بسبب شرارات من المحركات المارة يخشى الناس في المدينة من خطر مماثل على منازلهم. سعت لندن إلى إبقاء القاطرة بعيدة إذا كان خط السكة الحديد يجب أن يدخل ضمن حدودها. صحيح أنها استخدمت المحركات في خطها الأول ، سكة حديد لندن وغرينتش ، التي تم افتتاح جزء منها في أواخر عام 1830 ، لكنها عملت على خطها الثاني ، سكة حديد بلاك وول ، التي لامست المدينة ، عن طريق الكابل. حتى أنه كان يعتقد أنه ضروري ، عندما تم فتح خط برمنغهام للقاطرات التي سيتم إقلاعها في كامدن وجرح القطارات داخل وخارج يوستون.

كان اللف ممارسة قديمة في منجم الفحم وربما كان أخرق إلى حد ما ولذا سرعان ما حاول المهندسون التفكير في طريقة أفضل لتشغيل الخط بدون قاطرات. على الرغم من أن القاطرات أظهرت أنها عملية ، إلا أنها لم تكن مشهورة تمامًا في الوقت الذي كان فيه المهتمون بحركة الخيول القديمة على الطريق مستعدين لنشر القصص ضدهم.

كانت هناك قوى أخرى غير البخار كان كل من الماء والهواء يستخدمها الإنسان بنجاح لعدة قرون. لم يتم استخدام الماء مطلقًا في عمل سكة حديدية إلا في حالة بعض خطوط الجرف ، وهي عبارة عن مصاعد بالفعل ، حيث ترسم سيارة واحدة بخزان ممتلئ ، سيارة أخرى بخزان فارغ. ولكن كان هناك اقتراح مبكر لبناء خط مرتفع إلى برايتون ، حيث يجب أن تنقل الرياح قطارات مزودة بأشرعة. بسبب تقلبات الريح ، لم يكن هذا خطًا يمكن الاحتفاظ به بأي نوع من الجدول الزمني ، ولم يكن أكثر من حلم خلاب.

لكن كان من المفترض أن يلعب الهواء دوره في السكك الحديدية من خلال توفير الطاقة من خلال ما يجب أن نفكر فيه الآن على أنه السكك الحديدية الثالثة. في الأربعينيات من القرن الماضي ، عندما كانت الخطوط تُبنى وتُمتد في كل مكان ، شهدت في لندن وجنوب ديفون وأيرلندا تجربة شجاعة كانت تُدعى إلى حدٍ كبير سكة حديد الغلاف الجوي.

كان هناك بالفعل الأنبوب الهوائي الذي ، إذا تم سحب الهواء من أحد طرفيه ، يتم إطلاق مكبس أو ناقل بواسطة قوة الهواء القادمة من الطرف الآخر. يمكن إرسال رسالة في الناقل بسرعة بهذه الطريقة. تصور كليج وسامودا فكرة أنه إذا كان من الممكن إجراء بعض الارتباط بين المكبس في الأنبوب والقطار خارجه ، فإن المكبس سيرسم القطار على الأقل بأسرع ما يمكن للقاطرة أن ترسمه. هذا يعني أنه يجب أن يكون هناك فتحة بطول الأنبوب بالكامل يمكن أن يظهر منها شريط لعمل اقتران مع القطار. أثار ذلك مشكلة في كيفية إبقاء الأنبوب محكم الإغلاق ، كما ينبغي أن يكون إذا كان سيعمل بشكل صحيح.

نظام الغلاف الجوي. في الرسم التخطيطي السفلي ، AA عبارة عن أنبوب مستمر مثبت بين القضبان B ، ومكبس CC ، وألواح حديدية متصلة بالمكبس D ، وجهاز توصيل اللوحة بالحمل E ، وبكرات معدنية لفتح الصمام المستمر F ، وبكرة متصلة بالحمل لإغلاق صمام و ، W ، ثقل موازن للمكبس. في المخططات العلوية: H ، صمام الطقس K ، الصمام المستمر المحكم المفصلي عند / L ، تكوين صمام الختم و M ، الأسطوانة المرفقة بالحمل لفتح صمام الطقس. يُظهر الرسم التخطيطي غير المحسّن مقطعًا عرضيًا للخط والعربة.

ربما كانت الخطة المعتمدة هي الوحيدة الممكنة. تم وضع رفرف جلدي فوق الفتحة ، ومع اقتراب الوصلة ، كانت هناك عجلتان صغيرتان تجريان قبل أن ترفع اللوح الخشبي وتسمح بالمرور. خلف أداة التوصيل ، سقط الغطاء مرة أخرى فوق الفتحة وأغلقه. نظريًا ، لا ينبغي أن يكون هناك أي تسرب في الممارسة ، كما ثبت لاحقًا ، كانت هناك صفقة جيدة وكان ذلك هو الذي تسبب في فشل النظام.

جرب كليج وسامودا أنبوبهما على مسار في Wormwood Scrubbs ، والذي يعد الآن جزءًا من سكة حديد ويست لندن (لندن وميدلاند وسكوتيش وجريت ويسترن جوينت) الذي يمر عبر طريق أديسون. أجريت التجارب هناك ، ربما ، لأنه في ذلك الوقت لم يكن هناك استخدام آخر للخط. لقد نجحوا بما يكفي لإثارة إعجاب برونيل. أنهى غريت ويسترن وبريستول وإكستر ، وكان الآن يمضي قدمًا في خط سكة حديد جنوب ديفون. حتى الآن قام ببناء خط سهل ، والذي ، على الرغم من أنه قد يعطي بعض الصعود الطويل ، إلا أنه لا يعطي خطًا شديدًا حقًا.

ولكن بعد نيوتن أبوت ، واجه بلدًا صعبًا. كان عليه أن يصعد وينزل فوق توتنهام دارتمور للوصول إلى بليموث. لم يكن هناك شيء له سوى إجراء التبديل. ومرة أخرى شكك في قدرة القاطرات على تسلق التلال. لذلك قرر استخدام نظام الغلاف الجوي بين إكستر وبليموث ، وربما حتى في كورنوال. يجب أن يمنحه ذلك في كل قطار ، حيث وصل إلى صعود شديد ، احتياطيًا من الطاقة من محرك ثابت لم يكن هناك حاجة إلى بنائه ضمن الحدود الضيقة التي يجب أخذها في الاعتبار على القاطرة.

أثناء قيامه ببناء القسم الأول من جنوب ديفون من إكستر إلى نيوتن أبوت ، وضع خط الأنابيب مع بقية المسار.

لم تكن المعدات جاهزة عندما تم افتتاح السكة الحديد في مايو 1846 ، وكان لا بد من استخدام القاطرات ولكن تم دفع العمل إلى الأمام ، لأن الجمهور كان صبورًا لرؤية القطارات الجوية. ربما كان قد وُعد بالكثير من سلاسة ونظافة النظام بأي حال من الأحوال ، سيكون القطار بدون محرك أمرًا عجيبًا لرؤيته والسفر فيه.

بدأت المحاكمات في فبراير 1847 ، ولكن لم تكن هناك خدمة عامة إلا في نوفمبر ، ولم تختف القاطرات تمامًا حتى بداية عام 1848. خلال التجارب تم لمس سرعات عالية - تصل إلى 70 ميلاً في الساعة مع القطارات الخفيفة وبعد ذلك ، عندما كان هناك عمل كامل ، أفيد أنه من بين 884 قطارًا يعمل 790 قطارًا ، احتفظ بالوقت أو اكتسبه. لكن اختبار خط الأنابيب على المسار شبه المستوي بجانب مصب نهر إكس وتحت منحدرات الساحل لم يكن الاختبار الذي كان برونل يأمل في إجرائه لاحقًا فوق التلال عندما اضطر إلى الانعطاف إلى الداخل.

قسم من الأنابيب المستخدمة في نظام الغلاف الجوي لسكة حديد جنوب ديفون. كانت القطارات التي يقودها الضغط الجوي تعمل في عام 1847. وقد تم تحقيق سرعات تصل إلى 70 ميلاً في الساعة قبل أن يتم التخلي عن هذه الطريقة.

كانت محطات الضخ في جنوب ديفون تقف على بعد ثلاثة أميال ، وتعمل في مرحلات. عندما كان القطار في طريقه إلى أحد الأقسام ، بدأت المحطة في ذلك القسم بضخ الهواء ، ثم توقفت عن الضخ عند مرور القطار. كان هذا ، على أي حال ، هو ما كان ينبغي أن يكون عليه الأمر ، لكن لم يكن هناك اتصال تلغرافي بين المحطات ، كان لابد من حساب مجيء القطار وفقًا للجدول الزمني ، وفي بعض الأحيان بدأت المحطة في الضخ في وقت مبكر جدًا.

زاد هذا النقص في التنسيق بشكل طبيعي من تكلفة العمل ، ويبدو من الغريب أن سكة حديد ديفون الجنوبية لم يكن بها تلغراف ، بالنسبة للخط الأصل ، Great Western ، فقد كان عمليًا منذ البداية. ما كان ، ربما ، السطر الأول المستخدم تم وضعه بين Paddington و West Drayton وتم تمديده لاحقًا إلى Slough. عبر هذا الخط ذهبت بعض البرقيات التاريخية الآن. واحدة في عام 1844 كانت رسالة ملكية ، تخبر لندن عن ولادة أمير في وندسور. وكان آخر في نفس العام هو أول إرسال على الإطلاق من قبل الشرطة على أمل منع الجريمة أو الكشف عنها. كان ذلك عندما ذهب حشد كبير ، مع العديد من النشالين المعروفين ، بالقطار من بادينغتون إلى سلاو في يوم مونتيم في إيتون. تم تلغراف الأسماء والأوصاف وصولاً إلى سلاو ، حيث تم تحذير بعض النشالين واعتقال آخرين أثناء خروجهم من القطارات.

لكن الافتقار إلى التنسيق لم يكن المشكلة الوحيدة التي عصفت بقطار جنوب ديفون. سرعان ما بدأت الرفرفة التي كان من المفترض أن تحافظ على الأنبوب محكمًا في إظهار ضعفها. لم يتحمل الجلد البلى الناجم عن مرور أداة التوصيل ، وكان لابد من تغطية الفجوة بحرية بالشحم لإبقائها مرنة وجعلها ملائمة بشكل وثيق للفتحة. كان للشحم أعداءه الشمس أذابته وأكلته الجرذان. تسببت صعوبة الحفاظ على الرفرف في حالة جيدة في تسريب الأنبوب وجعل تشغيل القطارات غير مؤكد.

بدأ تشغيل قطارات الغلاف الجوي بين لندن بريدج وكرويدون في عام 1845. كان قسم الأنابيب - الذي يظهر منه الهواء - أصغر بمقدار خمس بوصات من الأنبوب الذي يبلغ قطره عشرين بوصة المستخدم في سكة حديد جنوب ديفون. تم التخلي عن نظام الغلاف الجوي على سكة حديد لندن وكرويدون في يوليو 1846 ، عندما تم الاستيلاء على الخط من قبل سكة حديد لندن وبرايتون وساوث كوست.

كان برونل مترددًا في التخلي عن النظام حتى رأى كيف سيعمل على الخط الذي كان يبنيه ، مع مراعاة ذلك ، بعيدًا عن نيوتن أبوت ، ولكن نظرًا لعدم إمكانية تصميم رفرف أفضل من الذي كان مستخدمًا ، كان عليه أن يذهب العودة إلى القاطرات في خريف عام 1848. كان قد قدر أنه سيكون هناك توفير & # 16367،000 في الإنفاق وتوفير سنوي قدره & # 1638،000 في العمل. فقدت جنوب ديفون ما بين & # 163300000 و & # 163400000 على نظام الغلاف الجوي ، وتركت الشركة ، التي اندمجت الآن في Great Western ، مع خط ، بين Newton Abbot و Plymouth ، والذي لم يكن مخططًا للقاطرات . لم يكن من الممكن أن يكون خطًا سهلاً ، لكن من المحتمل ألا يكون ثقيلًا كما هو لو لم يتم بناؤه قبل أن يفقد برونيل الثقة في المشروع.

كان على الخط الفاصل بين جسر لندن وكرويدون أن سكان لندن يتمتعون بكل ما قد يكون لديهم من إثارة في الركوب على الغلاف الجوي. على هذا الخط ، تم اعتماد النظام بشكل أساسي بسبب التحيز ضد القاطرات في لندن أو بالقرب منها. جاء الإلهام إلى مديري كرويدون ، كما حدث لبرونيل ، من النجاح الظاهر للغلاف الجوي على خط دبلن ودالكي الصغير في أيرلندا ، لكن خط كرويدون كان جاهزًا للمعدات قبل فترة طويلة من ديفون الجنوبية.

بدأت القطارات في العمل في عام 1845 ، ولكن هنا ، كما هو الحال في أي مكان آخر ، تعطل الصمام أو الصمام ، وأصبح الأنبوب مسربًا ، وفقدت القطارات سرعتها وتوقفت أحيانًا بسبب نقص الطاقة. لم يتمكنوا من الصعود إلى القمة ، وقيل لهم حكايات كيف نزل الركاب للدفع ، وأحيانًا كانوا يدفعون بشدة لدرجة أن القطار هرب بعيدًا وتركهم وراءهم. كان أنبوب كرويدون يبلغ قطره خمسة عشر بوصة وقطر جنوب ديفون عشرين بوصة. كانت السديلة هي نفسها في كلا الخطين ، ولم تثبت في كلا الخطين أنها مقاومة للطقس ولا مقاومة للفئران. في الطقس الحار ، ركض الشحم ، وفي جميع الأوقات كانت الفئران تأتي من أجل وليمة.

تم التخلي عن نظام الغلاف الجوي بين لندن وكرويدون في يوليو 1846 ، عندما أصبح خط كرويدون ملكًا لسكة حديد لندن وبرايتون وساوث كوست. كان من المؤسف أن برونل لم يأخذ درسًا من هذه الصورة ، لكنه كان لا يزال يتساءل كيف يمكنه ركوب القطارات فوق تلال ديفونشاير دون مساعدة محطات الطاقة.

لا يُذكر الآن سوى القليل عن الغلاف الجوي ، ولكن من المثير للاهتمام أن ننظر إلى الوراء على أنه قدم للسكة الحديد ثالث خط سكة حديد ، أو على الأقل ما يعادله. كان أول نظام يسمح بنقل الطاقة ، بخلاف الأسطوانة المتعرجة ، إلى أماكن بعيدة عن المحرك ، وبالتالي كانت محطات الطاقة الخاصة به هي الأولى في العالم. نتحدث الآن بشكل مألوف عن محطات الطاقة والسكك الحديدية الثالثة كما نفكر فيها ، والتي تعطي التيار الكهربائي للقطارات ، وهي أمر مألوف في خطوط الضواحي ولم تعد جديدة على المسارات إلى الساحل.

لم نر الخط الثالث حتى عام 1890 ، عندما تم افتتاح القسم الأول من مترو المدينة وجنوب لندن ، وكان ذلك بعد اثنين وأربعين عامًا من إلغاء الغلاف الجوي. ومع ذلك ، إذا كانت لندن قد صنعت مترو أنفاق للبضائع فقط ، على غرار سكة حديد مترو أنفاق مكتب البريد ، لكان من الممكن أن تعمل بالهواء المضغوط ، لأن مثل هذه الأنابيب كان من الممكن أن تكون محكمة الإغلاق بدرجة كافية. ما قتل الغلاف الجوي ، كما سعى برونل وآخرون لاستخدامه ، هو صعوبة توصيل المكبس في الأنبوب مع القطار بالخارج وفي نفس الوقت منع التسرب.

ومع ذلك ، إذا لم يتمكن مهندسو السكك الحديدية في تلك الفترة من الاعتماد على بديل مناسب مثل القاطرة البخارية ، فربما تم التغلب على هذه العيوب الخطيرة.

محطة ضخ على سكة حديد جنوب ديفون. تم وضع المحطات على بعد ثلاثة أميال وتشغيلها بدورها. عندما كان القطار في طريقه إلى أي قسم معين ، بدأت محطة الضخ في استنفاد الهواء من الأنبوب ، ولم تتوقف إلا بعد مرور القطار.


الهوامش والمراجع

    معلومات عن الضغوط الاقتصادية والاجتماعية وراء الكهربة مأخوذة من Surrey Railways التي تذكرتها ليزلي أوبيتز ، الفصل 4 ، ص 27. يشير أوبيتز إلى تقرير معاصر في صحيفة التايمز يصف طريق LBSCR من لندن إلى برايتون بأنه "زحف إلى الجنوب" ، على الرغم من أنه يقول أيضًا إن أسرع قطار في جدولهم في ذلك الوقت استغرق ساعة و 5 دقائق للوصول من جسر لندن إلى برايتون ، وهي ليست بعيدة عن أوقات الرحلات الحالية. يأتي تأثير منافسة الترام أيضًا من Oppitz ، الفصل 4 ، ص 27. وفقًا لروبرت J Harley's Croydon Tramways ، بدأ العمل على كهرباء ترام كرويدون (التي كانت تجرها الخيول سابقًا) في أكتوبر 1900 ، وبحلول ربيع عام 1902 ، كان لدى المدينة "شبكة ترام كهربائية تعمل بكامل طاقتها". لاحظ بيتر كلارك (الاتصال الشخصي) أنه كانت هناك شركتا ترام تعملان في كرويدون في ذلك الوقت - شركة Croydon Corporation (CCT) وشركة South Metropolitan Electric Lighting and Tramways Company (SMET) - مما يعني أنه في بعض الحالات من خلال الرحلات لم يكن ذلك ممكنًا . على سبيل المثال ، تضمنت رحلة من Purley إلى وسط لندن تغييرًا في الترام في Tooting وبسبب إحجام CCT عن السماح لترام SMET بعبور خطوطها في West Croydon ، لم يكن من الممكن عادةً ركوب الترام المباشر من Sutton إلى Crystal Palace . ومن ثم ، لم يكن الترام يشكل تهديدًا كبيرًا للسكك الحديدية كما كان يمكن أن يكون لو كانت الشركتان أكثر تنسيقًا. تاريخ وطريقة تشغيل التيار الكهربائي بين Battersea Park و East Brixton مأخوذ من أوبيتز ، الفصل 4 ، ص 28. معلومات عن نشر الكهرباء وتأثير الحرب العالمية الأولى مأخوذة من أوبيتز ، الفصل 4 ، ص 28 - 29 ، وتم توسيعها باستخدام تعليقات بيتر كلارك. معلومات عن أول تشغيل كهربائي عبر West Croydon مأخوذة من Vic Mitchell و West Croydon من Keith Smith إلى Epsom (Middleton Press). تاريخ وسبب تحويل التيار المتردد إلى تيار مستمر لطريق ساتون المأخوذ من غرب كرويدون إلى إبسوم وأكده أوبيتز (الفصل 4 ، ص 29). يشير بيتر كلارك أيضًا إلى أن تكلفة كل ميل لتركيب مكيفات الهواء قد ارتفعت بسبب الحاجة إلى إقامة جسور متحركة علوية وتغيير الهياكل الحالية مثل الجسور. يمكن العثور على المزيد من التفاصيل المتعلقة بجميع جوانب الكهربة في الفصول الأولية من G T Moody's Southern Electric 1909-1979. تم الرجوع إلى نسخ من مجلة Southern Railway Magazine في مكتبة الدراسات المحلية في كرويدون. المقال عن برنامج تطوير الجنوب لعام 1931 موجود في المجلد 9 ، العدد 98 (فبراير 1931) ، الصفحة 42. L Catchpole ، "The Railways of Croydon" ، Southern Railway Magazine Vol 10 No 118 (Oct 1932) ، pp378–383. معلومات عن اكتشاف الأنبوب الجوي مأخوذة من Southern Railway Magazine Vol 11 No 127 (Jul 1933) ، p254. لأسباب تتعلق بالفضاء ، لم أذكر عملية الغلاف الجوي في مقالتي السابقة حول محطة ويست كرويدون في القرن التاسع عشر ، لكنه موضوع مثير للاهتمام. كتب إيان مانسفيلد عنها مطولاً ، سواء في مقال عن تجربة الغلاف الجوي لـ Croydon أو في سلسلة من خمسة أجزاء (متوفرة أيضًا ككتاب إلكتروني من Kindle) في "London's Lost Pneumatic Railways". ينص دليل Grace على أنه "تم نقل محطة ضخ West Croydon لتشكل جزءًا من مبنى محطات المياه Surrey Street ، والذي لا يزال موجودًا." يقدم "سكك حديد كرويدون" تفاصيل التعديلات من منظور عام 1932 عند اكتماله ، حيث "سيغلقون مباني المحطة الحالية المواجهة لطريق لندن ، وكذلك المدخل والمكتب الجانبي لأسفل في شارع ستيشن. سيتم توفير مكاتب على جسر جديد يجري بناؤه فوق الخطوط بالقرب من صندوق الإشارة الجنوبي وسيصل الركاب إلى منصة Up عن طريق خطوات تنتهي بالقرب من خليج ويمبلدون ، ومنصة Down ، التي تم تمديدها الآن ، بطريقة جديدة مغطاة. " اقتباس مأخوذ من "West Croydon Station Rebuilt" ، Southern Railway Magazine ، المجلد 12 رقم 136 (أبريل 1934) ، ص 152. توفر Photo PH-07 1642 في مكتبة الدراسات المحلية في كرويدون منظرًا جيدًا لمدخل طريق لندن القديم كما كان في عام 1923. وهناك أيضًا صورة أخرى لهذا المدخل في بئر درج حانة Ship of Fools المقابلة للمحطة ، يمكنك الوصول سريعًا إلى هناك إذا تريد رؤيته ، على الرغم من ذلك ، حيث من المقرر تحويل هذه الحانة إلى فرع من Sainsbury. ينص مقال عن الكتل والحجر نشرته جامعة غرب إنجلترا (للأسف لم يعد متاحًا مجانًا على الإنترنت) على أن الكتل الخرسانية "كانت شائعة الاستخدام منذ الثلاثينيات". يضيف بيتر كلارك: "أعادت السكك الحديدية الجنوبية بناء عدد من المحطات في ذلك الوقت باستخدام الخرسانة بأشكال مختلفة ، من الهياكل المصبوبة في الموقع إلى تلك التي تحتوي على لب من الكتل الخرسانية ، والتي واجه معظمها إما مادة أسمنتية أو مواد أخرى. بينما كانت النفعية في البناء ، غالبًا ما كانت تسمى النتائج "Odeonesque" أو "Moderne" على الرغم من أنني لست متأكدًا من المصطلح المطبق على West Croydon. من المحتمل أن تكون الكتل قد صنعت في أعمال LSWR السابقة في Exmouth Junction والتي أنتجت مجموعة واسعة من المنتجات الخرسانية للسكك الحديدية الجنوبية ". المحلات التجارية المبنية على جانبي مدخل المحطة الجديد يشغلها حاليًا Maplin من خلال Road Runners على يمين المدخل ، و Greggs على اليسار. يمكن رؤية ظهور هذه المباني من الطرف الجنوبي للمنصة 3 (انظر المنظر من المنصة ومقالي عن إعادة ترقيم طريق لندن. 3 Station Road (التي يشغلها حاليًا ويليام هيل) هي جزء من نفس الكتلة ، وقد تم تشييدها أيضًا في نفس الوقت ، تُعد الصورة PH / 041 6281 في مكتبة الدراسات المحلية في كرويدون ، والتي تم التقاطها أثناء أعمال البناء ، منظرًا جيدًا لهذا الأمر. لست متأكدًا من أن المحلات التجارية على الجانب الآخر من جسر السكة الحديد (سبيدي كاش حتى زام Call). تقول "West Croydon Station Rebuilt" أن مترو الأنفاق القديم "كان عرضة للفيضانات بعد العواصف". يتضمن West Croydon إلى Epsom خريطة من عام 1894 توضح موقع مترو الأنفاق هذا ، والذي كان متماشياً تقريبًا مع العصر الحديث مدخل طريق المحطة. كان لمحطة West Croydon ثلاثة مداخل مختلفة لشارع المحطة طوال تاريخها. وكان المدخل الذي افتتح في الثلاثينيات هو الثاني من هذه المداخل التي كانت تقع في أسفل طريق المحطة (كما هو موضح في مقالتي الأولى عن المحطة) ، ا د الثالث ، الذي افتتح في عام 2012 ، كان بالقرب من المكان الأول. تأتي المعلومات حول موقع مدخل طريق المحطة في الثلاثينيات من معرفتي الخاصة بالمنطقة اليوم بالإضافة إلى النظر إلى الصور القديمة في مجلة Southern Railway Magazine وأماكن أخرى. كانت صورة جو أور "Then and Now" لـ Station Road مفيدة بشكل خاص في هذا (على الرغم من أنها اختفت الآن للأسف من الإنترنت ، تظهر نسخة أكبر وأقل اقتصاصًا من صورة Jo القديمة كصورة 28 في Croydon Tramways بواسطة John Gent و John Meredith ). ليس لدي أي مرجع جيد لتاريخ إغلاقها ، لكن أحد المعلقين في مدونة London Reconnections يقول إنها "أغلقت في وقت ما في الستينيات من القرن الماضي حسب ما أتذكره". توصلت إلى هذه النظرية بمفردي ، بعد أن سألني أحد الأصدقاء عن سبب ارتفاع المنحدر أعلى من اللازم ، على الرغم من أنني رأيت لاحقًا أن معلقًا آخر في لندن لإعادة الاتصال كان يفترض نفس الشيء. بعد أن نشرت هذا المقال ، وجهني ديفيد فيشر (محادثة عبر الإنترنت ، كانون الثاني (يناير) 2013) إلى منظر طائر خرائط Bing لجسر المشاة ومدخل طريق المحطة ، مما يوضح ما يجري. تأتي المعلومات المتعلقة بوجود مقياس مرور عند مدخل طريق المحطة من "West Croydon Station Rebuilt" ، والتي تذكر "مكتب حجز جديد لمقاييس المرور". لم أتمكن من تحديد نوع مقياس المرور هذا ، على الرغم من أنه يبدو أن المصطلح قد استخدم ليعني إما مدخل من نوع الباب الدوار ، أو كشك تذاكر قائم بذاته (ربما يكون الأخير خاصًا بمترو أنفاق لندن). النوع الأكثر ترجيحًا في وجهة نظر بيتر كلارك هو "مكتب مركزي به مسارات داخلية وخارجية على كلا الجانبين ، ومن المتوقع أن يقوم موظف واحد بإدارة كل من التدفقات وإصدار التذاكر وجمعها. حسنًا عندما كان الجو هادئًا ، ولكن ليس جيدًا إذا تم بناء قائمة انتظار على كلا الجانبين. " جيف سميث ، في تعليقه على London Reconnections ، أشار إلى أن مقاييس المرور كانت غير عادية على السكك الحديدية الجنوبية في ذلك الوقت.

معلومات عن المرافق عند مدخل طريق لندن (والاقتباس عن غرفة المرطبات) تأتي أيضًا من "West Croydon Station Rebuilt". من الجدير بالذكر أن مدخل طريق لندن قبل ثلاثينيات القرن الماضي كان يستوعب أيضًا نشاطًا تجاريًا واحدًا على الأقل لا يتعلق بالسكك الحديدية: يحمل Croydon Shopping and Entertainment News في أغسطس 1922 إعلانًا عن "صالون تصفيف الشعر الجديد" الموجود "في قاعة الحجز على الجانب العلوي" "(" Up "تعني" نحو لندن) ، مع إدراج J Donald كمالك. على الرغم من أن هذا كان "للسيدات فقط" ، إلا أن الإعلان أشار إلى وجود "فروع للرجال في لندن بريدج ومحطة كانون ستريت أيضًا في برايتون". يحمل عدد لاحق ، من ديسمبر من نفس العام ، إعلانًا صغيرًا كجزء من عمود عن هدايا عيد الميلاد المقترحة: "لدى دونالد في محطة ويست كرويدون أي عدد من هؤلاء الصغار وغير ذلك العزيزة جدًا على قلب امرأة - زجاجات صغيرة من العطور المركزة ، ونفث البودرة ، وما إلى ذلك "

فيما يتعلق بغرفة المرطبات نفسها ، أخبرني تيري كولمان (محادثة عبر الإنترنت ، كانون الثاني (يناير) 2013): "يمكنني أن أتذكر بوفيهًا مرخصًا به ، كان على اليسار أثناء سيرك في البهو من طريق لندن ، بدا الأمر وكأنه كان هناك لسنوات ، بدا كل شيء بني اللون ، مكانًا كئيبًا. ربما أكون هناك مرة أو مرتين كجزء من زيارات الحانات العديدة كفتية في أواخر الخمسينيات من القرن الماضي. ليس لدي فكرة متى توقف ذلك ". أخبرني بول صوان (محادثة شخصية ، يناير 2013) أنه يتذكرها أيضًا ، وكانت دائمًا مليئة بدخان السجائر. أعتقد أنه من المحتمل أن تكون هذه هي نفس مساحة "غرفة المرطبات المبهجة" التي أذكرها في المقال إما أن كاتب مجلة Southern Railway كان يأخذ بعض الحريات مع الواقع ، أو أنه ذهب إلى أسفل على مدار العقدين التاليين.


يتم تسجيل الكثير من تاريخ إيست كرويدون بأسماء شوارعها (انظر أدناه). قدمت منظمة مجتمع إيست كرويدون المعلومات التي جمعناها حتى الآن إلى مشروع دليل شارع لندن. هذا بعيد عن الاكتمال وسنكون ممتنين ، على وجه الخصوص ، لأي معلومات حول أصول أسماء Alpha Road ، Bisenden Road. إدوين بليس ، جاكسون لين وتراس جون.

في تجميع المعلومات ، حصلنا على مساعدة كبيرة من بريندان أوكونور ، وكارول روبرتس ، ومتحف كرويدون وخدمة الأرشيفات ، وديفيد مورغان ، وجيري فيتزباتريك ، وسكوت هاتون ، وصوفي رحمان. الصورة عبارة عن تفاصيل خريطة حاوية كرويدون لعام 1801 ، ويمكن العثور على نسخة منها في متحف كرويدون وأرشيف أمبير في كرويدون كلوك تاور.

يمكن العثور على مزيد من المعلومات حول تاريخ شرق كرويدون في هذه الصفحات

طريق محكمة أديسكومب
عاش توماس بنجامين موغيريدج في منزل يُدعى محكمة أديسكومب في عام 1872. كان هذا على طريق أديسكومب العلوي (كما كان يُعرف طريق أديسكومب آنذاك) ، بين زاوية ممر في حقل ومبنى دبليو فلاور ، بائع بيرة بالتجزئة (لاحقًا) الكريكيت). عاشت عائلة موغيريدج في منزل في الموقع منذ عام 1855 ، عندما كان يرأسها إدوارد ، تاجر ذرة. تم بناء طريق Addiscombe Court Road باتباع خط الممر وتم إدراج المنازل فيه لأول مرة في عام 1906.

طريق أديسكومب
ظهرت لأول مرة على خريطة عام 1594 ، وتربط مدينة كرويدون بقرية أديسكومب إلى الشرق (في زاوية سانديلاندز اليوم). كان معروفًا باسم طريق أديسكومب العلوي في القرن التاسع عشر ، ويقع على طول خط نبع ، حيث تجري المياه منحدرًا إلى الشمال في اتجاه طريق أديسكومب السفلي.

طريق ألفا
كانت الأرض الواقعة على زاوية Cross Road و Lower Addiscombe Road هي الجزء الأخير من ملكية Leslie Lodge التي تم بيعها ، في عام 1896 ، مما سمح ببناء طريق Alpha (انظر طريق Leslie Park Road و Leslie Grove). تم هدم المنزل نفسه عام 1900. من غير المعروف سبب تسميته بهذا الاسم. ومع ذلك ، كان الاسم شائعًا في ذلك الوقت للإشارة إلى أول شارع تم بناؤه في تطوير جديد.

مكان الفا
طريق قصير به مسكنان فقط ، قبالة طريق ليزلي بارك. لوحظ لأول مرة في مبيعات خاصة لعام 1903 والتي تسرد أيضًا بيع رقم. 18 إلى 46 Alpha Road. كما هو الحال مع الأخير ، من غير المعروف سبب تسميته بهذا الاسم.

بيلنتون هيل
طريق قصير يؤدي إلى محطة East Croydon من Cherry Orchard Road. يشار إليها بشكل مختلف باسم Station Approach أو ساحة أو شارع في أدلة الهاتف والشوارع. أعيدت تسميته في أواخر التسعينيات ، بعد إعادة تطوير المحطة ، ربما بعد روبرت بيلنتون ، مهندس القاطرات في سكة حديد لندن وبرايتون والساحل الجنوبي من عام 1890 إلى عام 1904 أو ابنه لوسون بوسكوفسكي بيلنتون ، الذي شغل لاحقًا نفس المنصب من عام 1912 إلى 1923.

طريق بيسيندين
يحمل متحف كرويدون ودائرة المحفوظات وصايا عائلة بيسيندين 1762-1783. ومع ذلك ، فهي هشة للغاية بحيث لا يمكن فحصها ولا يمكن الوصول إليها حاليًا بسبب الوباء. اتصال هذه العائلة بشارع Bisenden غير معروف حاليًا.

طريق بليك
سمي على الأرجح على اسم جون بليك ، بائع المزاد الذي عاش في 65 بارك لين وتوفي عام 1852. كان قد اشترى عقار بريكوود بعد وفاة جون بريكوود في عام 1829. (انظر طريق بريكوود). ومع ذلك ، لم يحتله ، وتركه لسلسلة من المستأجرين بما في ذلك ، من 1823-28 ، السير بنجامين هالويل ، قائد في البحرية الملكية الذي خدم مع نيلسون. توفي عن عمر يناهز 72 عامًا ، وهو ثاني أكبر شخص في أبرشية كرويدون في ذلك الوقت.

طريق بريكوود
سمي على اسم Brickwood House ، الذي بناه في نهاية القرن الثامن عشر جون بريكوود ، تاجر ومصرفي. كان يمتلك أرضًا كبيرة في أبرشية كرويدون وكان أحد مالكي الأراضي المحليين الذين قدموا التماسًا إلى البرلمان في عام 1796 للحصول على إجازة لتقديم مشروع قانون خاص لإحاطة الأرض المشتركة في أبرشية كرويدون. احتج فقراء كرويدون على ضياع حقهم في رعي مواشيهم وجمع الحطب دون جدوى. بعد سن قانون الضميمة ، اشترى جون بريكوود مزيدًا من الأراضي في كل من Croydon Common المجاورة وفي Norwood Common. في شرق كرويدون ، امتلك جميع الأراضي الواقعة شرق طريق Cherry Orchard Road ، بالإضافة إلى بعض الأراضي على الجانب الغربي بالقرب من تقاطع طريق Moreland. تم بيع جزء كبير من الأرض عندما أفلس في عام 1810. ومع ذلك ، اشترى بريكوود منزل بريكوود والأراضي الواقعة بين طريق سيدار وطريق أديسكومب في العام التالي في مزاد مقابل 7500 جنيه إسترليني. تم بيعه بعد وفاته في عام 1822 إلى جون بليك ، مساح محلي (انظر طريق بليك). تم هدم المنزل في عام 1908 وقسمت أرضه إلى الشوارع التي نعرفها اليوم ، بما في ذلك شارع بريكوود.

صف الجسر
صف قصير من المنزل قبالة الطرف الشمالي من كروس رود ، على قطعة أرض معزولة عند بناء خط السكك الحديدية إلى الغرب. ربما حصلت على اسمها من الكذب إلى الجنوب من جسر Windmill.

عربة لودج ميوز
طريق خاص قصير قبالة طريق لبنان. تشير مبيعات عام 1903 بشكل خاص إلى إسطبل مبني من الطوب في هذه المنطقة ، مكتمل مع Cart Lodge المصنوع من الخشب ، والفناء الأسمنتي ، والمرحاض وحفرة السماد.

شارع سيدار
وضعت على طول خط حدود أراضي بريكوود هاوس من 1852 إلى 1908 (انظر طريق بريكوود والطريق البيضاوي). وقيل إن المنزل "محاط بحديقة مزروعة بذوق بالغابات وأشجار أخرى". بالنظر إلى التقاطع مع طريق لبنان إلى الشرق ، يبدو من المحتمل أن هذه الأراضي تضمّنت شجرة أرز لبنان.

طريق Cherry Orchard
يمكن رؤيتها على الخرائط من عام 1729 على الأقل. كانت تسمى في الأصل كوني لين حتى التقاطع إلى المسار فوق العام ، والذي عُرف فيما بعد باسم Cross Road. إلى الشمال من هذا التقاطع ، كان طريق مرور خاص يسمى طريق لي. إلى الجنوب من هذا التقاطع ، تُظهر خريطة السياج لعام 1801 بستانًا على جانبه الغربي يمتد إلى طريق أديسكومب (العلوي) ، المملوك للسيدة إي روبنسون. كان بستانًا مليئًا بأشجار الكرز. عندما نضجت الكرز ، تم الاحتفال بمعرض الكرز على الفور. بحلول عام 1851 ، كان يطلق على الطريق طريق Cherry Orchard Road على طول امتداده الكامل. بحلول ذلك الوقت ، كان البستان قد اختفى منذ فترة طويلة. تم شراء الأرض من قبل شركة سكة حديد لندن وبرايتون ، والتي بدأت تسيير القطارات من جسر لندن إلى الساحل عبر إيست كرويدون في عام 1841.

طريق تشيشولم
يقال أن اسمها مأخوذ من جيمس تشيشولم ، آخر مقيم في أديسكومب لودج. يمكن رؤية هذا المنزل الكبير وأراضيه على خريطة عشور كرويدون لعام 1844 على أنها تشغل الأرض التي يقع عليها الطريق ، والتي كانت في السابق جزءًا من ملكية بريكوود. تم بناؤه بالكامل بالفعل بحلول عام 1911 ، عندما يظهر على خريطة مسح الذخائر.

طريق كولسون
ربما سمي على اسم توماس كولسون ، مساح ، مدرج على أنه يعيش بالقرب من كرويدون كومون في دليل الشارع لعام 1849.

عبر شارع
يظهر كمسار عبر Croydon Common على خريطة مؤرخة في عام 1768. تم الوصول إلى الطريق المشترك من Broad Green إلى Selhurst (من الغرب إلى الشرق) ، طريق White Horse إلى طريق Cherry Orchard Road (من الشمال إلى الجنوب). كانت هناك بوابات في نهايات هذه المسارات لمنع الحيوانات التي ترعى على الطريق العام من الشرود على الطريق السريع. يتفرع المسار من البوابة الخضراء العريضة إلى بوابة سيلهورست على طول ما يُعرف الآن بطريق سانت جيمس رود / طريق أديسكومب السفلي. Cross Road developed from a track branching off this, leading to Coney Lane Gate at its junction with Cherry Orchard Road. It was named after James Cross, an early landlord of the Windmill public house. From at least 1859, its small side roads are also listed in street directories. Some of these survive today as unadopted roads (Edwin Place, Jackson’s Place, John’s Terrace).

Edwin Place
Unadopted road off Cross Road. Appears in the 1859 street directory, but it is not known why it was given this name.

Heron Road
Named after the wealthy, well connected Heron family, who owned an estate that included land to the north of Addiscombe Lane roughly from Canning Road to Ashburton Road in the 16 th century (though not the land on which Heron Road lies). They also owned the Croydon rectory and, as such, were entitled to be buried in Croydon 14 th century parish church. Several items relating to the family survived the fire that destroyed this building in 1866 and can be found in the present parish church, including

  • Two shields (on the north wall) and a brass of seven daughters (on the south wall) from the memorial to Thomas Heron, who died 1544, and his wife Elizabeth.
  • A brass plate of William Heron, who died in 1563, and his wife Alice in the north chancel wall
  • three stone shields from the tomb of Sir Nicholas Heron, who died in 1566 at the west end of the church

By the 17 th century, the estate no longer belonged to the family.

Jackson’s Lane
Unadopted road off Cross Road. Appears in the 1859 street directory, but it is not known why it was given this name.

John’s Terrace
Unadopted road off Cross Road. Appears in the 1859 street directory, but it is not known why it was given this name.

Lebanon Road
Laid out along the line of the former boundary of the grounds of Brickwood House in 1810 (see Brickwood Road). The house was said to be”enclosed in a park tastefully planted with forest and other trees”. Given the junction with Cedar Road to the west, it seems likely that these grounds included a Cedar of Lebanon tree.

Leslie Grove
The Leslie Lodge estate west of Cherry Orchard Road was sold piecemeal (see Leslie Park Road). The land fronting Lower Addiscombe Road sold in the 1850s and developed into shops. The land at the rear was sold in 1874 to a buyer who drove a road through it to enable a profitable building scheme, thus creating Leslie Grove.

Leslie Park Road
Laid along part of the southern boundary of the Leslie Lodge estate. Leslie Lodge was built c1825 on what was then Addiscombe Road, but what is now 22-24 Lower Addiscombe Road. The earliest owners are unknown and it is not clear whether they bore the name Leslie. The pub sign of the former Leslie Arms nearby displays the coat of arms the Lords of Rothes, whose clan name is Leslie, together with the family motto “Grip Fast”. The clan was founded in 1070 AD, when Bartholomew, a Hungarian nobleman attached to the fugitive Saxon court, married Beatrix, the sister of Malcolm III of Scotland. They were granted lands at Leslie in the district of the Garioch, near Aberdeen, from which they took their name. The family had links with West Surrey from 1772, when Lady Jane Elizabeth Leslie, the Countess of Rothes, married Sir Lucas Pepys, the physician to George III, who lived in Juniper Hall, near Leatherhead. However, there are no known links between the Leslie family and Croydon.

The 1844 tithe map shows the Leslie Lodge estate covered much of the land between Cross Road and Leslie Park Road, as well as land to the north of what is now Lower Addiscombe Road. By 1851, it was owned by Mary Vandervell, who put that part of it to the east of Cherry Orchard Road onto the market. The sales particulars noted that Leslie Park Road had already been laid through the land making it “a first class site for the erection of suburban residences”. Within ten years, the entire frontage along northern Leslie Park Road had been developed.

Leslie Place
Leslie Place is a short road off the south side of Leslie Grove that provides access to the rear of some of the buildings on Cherry Orchard Road. It would have been created sometime between 1874 and 1894 (when it appears on an Ordnance Survey Map). For the origin of the name, see Leslie Park Road.

Lower Addiscombe Road
First appears as a path across Croydon Common on a map dating to 1768. In 1801, it was referred to as a public carriage and was called Addiscombe Road, then St James Road, probably from 1829 when St James Church was built to the west. In street directories from 1865 it was referred to as St James Rd East and finally as Lower Addiscombe Road from 1869.

Oval Road
This was once a gravel pit, the gravel being used for road building. In 1852, part of the Brickwood estate came onto the market and Oval Road was laid out. The construction of Leslie Park Road enabled it to be a through road. No plots were offered for sale on the Oval itself, which was to be a pleasure garden for the general recreation of the plot owners, who were given rights of way over it in perpetuity. 16 years later, they relinquished their rights and the Oval was sold for housing development.

Tunstall Road
Named after the Tunstall family who owned the former Heron estate from 1624. Sir John Tunstall, was a gentleman usher to Queen Anne 1, the consort of King James. His son Henry was a gentleman usher to Henrietta Maria, wife of Charles 1. Both father and son became deeply in debt during the civil war, probably because they were royalists. They had to sell the house in 1650. The land was used for agriculture until the road was laid out in the early 20 th century. Houses are listed on Tunstall Road for the first time in the 1907 Croydon street directory.


The abandoned railway station hidden through a secret wood in Croydon

Behind the residential streets of South Croydon lies a magical piece of history that has laid dormant and unused for over 100 years.

If you live in South Croydon you will probably have come across it, but for any visitors outside the area you really would have no idea it even existed..

Croydon is littered with abandoned stations but this has to be one of the most surreal and exciting.

The station was known as Spencer Road Halt railway station, and still lies down a pathway off Spencer Road and Birdhurst Rise..

The station was built in 1906 and formed part of the Woodside and South Croydon Joint Railway.

The stop was built with the aim that passengers could make a short ten minute walk to South Croydon station and link onto Brighton line for a trip by the seaside.


Coombe Road railway station

Coombe Road was a railway station on the Woodside and South Croydon Joint Railway but ceased to be an operating station in 1983.

The station opened in 1885 and was jointly used by the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway and the South Eastern Railway.

Even though the line was supposed to be very beneficial, it saw low passenger numbers which made the station relatively unprofitable.

Throughout the sixties, this became a particular problem.

The last train to depart from the station was the 7.30pm train from Sanderstead on May 13, 1983.

اقرأ أكثر
مقالات ذات صلة

“On railway cuttings and embankments with an account of some slips in the London clay, on the line of the London and Croydon Railway” by Gregory, 1844.

Although 1844 was a relatively quiet year in terms of historical events, some important technological advances occurred. In the USA, Samuel F. B. Morse sent the first telegram in his eponymous code (Library of Congress ND), and Charles Goodyear patented the process of vulcanizing rubber (Somma 2014). Meanwhile, in the UK, Charles Gregory presented his findings on railroad cuts and fills to his peers in the Institution of Civil Engineers (Gregory 1844). A century and three-quarters after Gregory published “On Railway Cuttings and Embankments”, the piece remains worth examining, both to see how far slope stability has come since the early Victorian era and to see how much was already known at the time.

Gregory begins his piece by briefly discussing the different types of soil and rock often encountered in the UK. He quickly reviews how they behave and lists some rules of thumb for cut and fill slopes in various soils. Gregory then gets into his main subject – a study of a failed railroad cut near New Cross, a small town outside London which has since been absorbed into the southeastern portion of the city (Sadler 1989). The cut, which was about 75 to 80 feet deep, consisted of 50 to 55 feet of very pervious “yellow clay of a silty character” (Gregory 1844), overlying about 15 to 20 feet of strong, impervious London blue clay. The blue clay lay over about 8’ of mixed and interbedded clay, sand, and stone layers, which in turn overlay a plastic clay which formed the layer of the railroad subgrade (Gregory 1844).

The railroad branch which ran through the cut opened in June of 1839 (Sadler 1989). In early November of 1841, a large (50,000 CY) slope failure occurred in the thick yellow clay layer. Although the cut was promptly cleared, two further slope stability failures took place within it during the remainder of November, and the railroad was not able to resume service for an extended duration until late December. In early January 1842, yet another slope failure occurred in the cut, and this one took until early February to clean up. While Gregory mentions no fatalities or derailments resulting from the failures, he does mention that extensive costs were incurred in paying laborers to work around the clock for several weeks to clear the slides after each failure, in addition to the losses incurred due to lost passenger and freight revenue on the railroad. An investigation soon began into the exact cause of the failure (Gregory 1844).

Gregory observes that the cut performed well for a while after its construction, with no visible evidence of creep or slope failure. He therefore deduces that something new must have happened to cause the slides. Gregory notes that the thick yellow clay layer is highly plastic and is shot through with cracks and fissures. He hypothesizes that water saturated the yellow clay and was trapped within it by the impermeable blue clay below. Per Gregory’s hypothesis, as the soil wetted, it expanded when it dried, cracks remained “so that, year by year, the evil would become greater, and the tendency to slip gradually increase” (Gregory 1844). Eventually, he notes, this process, aided by the natural dip of clay formation, resulted in the clay giving way (Gregory 1844).

Having addressed the nature of the problem, Gregory then turns to how the cut was repaired. First, he notes, the slope of the cut was reduced through excavation and benching. This was an impressively large effort, especially for 1844, as clearing the slides and re-excavating the cut required the removal by horse-drawn wagon of a total of 250,000 CY of clay. After the cut had been re-excavated and drainage pipes had been installed in each bench, Gregory continues, attention was turned to other cuts along the railroad in the same clay layer. These were proactively improved by excavating the bottom 5 to 12 feet of the clay layer adjacent to the tracks and replacing it with compacted gravel, which did double duty as both a retaining wall and a free-draining material to divert water away from the slope. The excavated clay was then piled behind the retaining wall to increase the mass at the toe of the slope and thereby improve the slope’s stability. According to Gregory, the system worked well enough that subsequent slides elsewhere were all treated this way (Gregory 1844).

From a modern geotechnical perspective, there is a lot to like about Gregory’s piece. For example, when Gregory observes that “the material nature of every soil, assigns to it some particular slope, at which it will remain in repose” (Gregory 1844), he is of course discussing the principle of a soil’s friction angle. Although this principle had first been recognized by da Vinci, and by Coulomb after him (Coduto et al. 2011), it remains refreshing to see a modern principle of soil mechanics recognized in a vintage piece in the field. Gregory also notes that the friction angle can depend on many factors, including “alternations of weather” (Gregory 1844). Today, geotechnical engineers recognize that “repeated wetting and drying can produce a significant reduction in the effective stress cohesion intercept” (Rogers and Wright 1986), not in the friction angle, but the fact remains that Gregory still observes the phenomenon of soil softening occurring.

Even when Gregory is incorrect, he still thinks in a way consistent with how later generations of geotechnical engineers would think. In addition to his inaccurate assessment of what soil properties change due to weathering, Gregory is off the mark when it comes to the effect of weathering on subsequent slope stability failures. Castellanos et al. (2015) performed an extensive review of the available literature on first-time slides in cuts in stiff clays. Based on this, they concluded that progressive failure, not fissuring or weathering, best explained the decrease in shear strength which led to these failures. They noted that fissures and cycles of wetting and drying “will also decrease the shear strength of a clay mass but not to the extent required to explain most first-time failures in stiff clays” (Castellanos et al. 2015). However, Castellanos et al. (2015) also noted that no less a geotechnical engineering titan than Karl Terzaghi posited a hypothesis of soil softening in 1936 which consisted of water infiltrating into fissures in clay, causing swelling along the edges of the fissures, and thereby leading to propagation of the fissures. Terzaghi’s 1936 hypothesis is strikingly similar to Gregory’s explanation of the failure of the New Cross slope almost a century prior.

Gregory also offers other connections to modern geotechnical practice, as well as suggestions for potential innovation in the field. “Quicksands and peat,” he astutely notes, “are soils of a proverbially treacherous character” (Gregory 1844) the statement still rings true today. To build embankments upon these soils, Gregory recommends using fascines, or bundles of branches, rods, or pipes, to either fill in the soft ground prior to embankment construction or to buttress the embankments as and after they are constructed (Gregory 1844). Today, geotechnical engineers might use other methods, such as deep mixing, to support embankments on soft ground that cannot be removed, but the basic principle of augmenting a weak material using a stronger one remains the same. Perhaps the idea of a fascine, possibly in the form of PVC or ductile iron pipes filled with concrete, could be worth exploring anew. Gregory also suggests constructing two-slope embankments with a gentler inclination at the bottom to more widely distribute load onto soft soils (Gregory 1844). The idea is intriguing, albeit frequently impractical due to spatial constraints.

Since Gregory published “On Railway Cuttings and Embankments”, modern geotechnical developments of which he could only have dreamed have long since overtaken the piece. Field and laboratory tests can be used to assess appropriate shear strength parameters for sands, silts, and clays. These properties can be used together with a number of potential techniques for the assessment of slope stability, including the Swedish circle method, the method of slices, and the respective methods of Bishop, Morgenstern and Price, and Spencer (Duncan et al. 2014). Once appropriate parameters and assessment methods have been selected, computer programs like SLIDE2 and SLOPEW, which utilize the aforementioned methods or other limit equilibrium techniques, can assess the stability of thousands of slope surfaces in only seconds (Duncan et al. 2014). More recently, reliability techniques have been introduced into slope stability, allowing for the computation of failure probabilities in addition to the traditional factor of safety (Duncan et al. 2014). However, Gregory’s piece remains worth reading and examining as much for its strengths as for its shortcomings.

Castellanos, B. A., T. L. Brandon, and D. R. VandenBerge (2015). “Use of Fully Softened Shear Strength in Slope Stability Analysis.” Landslides, 13 (4), 697-709.

Cooling, L. F., A. W. Skempton, and A. L. Little, eds. 1969. A Century of Soil Mechanics. London, UK: Institution of Civil Engineers.

Duncan, J. M., S. G. Wright, and T. L. Brandon. 2014. Soil Strength and Slope Stability, 2nd Ed. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley and Sons.

Gregory, C. H. 1844. “On railway cuttings and embankments with an account of some slips in the London clay, on the line of the London and Croydon Railway.” Minut. Proc. Inst. Civ. Eng., 3, 135-145. Reprinted in Cooling et al. (1969).

Library of Congress. ND. “Invention of the Telegraph.” Samuel F. B. Morse Papers at the Library of Congress, 1793-1919. Accessed December 22, 2020. https://www.loc.gov/collections/samuel-morse-papers/

Rogers, L. E., and S. G. Wright. 1986. The Effects of Wetting and Drying on the Long-Term Shear Strength Parameters for Compacted Beaumont Clay. Austin, TX: Center for Transportation Research, The University of Texas at Austin.

Sadler, J. C. 1989. “London and Croydon Railway.” Sydenham Life. Reprinted on StBartsChurchSydenham.org. Accessed December 23, 2020. https://www.stbartschurchsydenham.org/railway.html

Somma, A. M. 2014. “Charles Goodyear and the Vulcanization of Rubber.” Connecticut History.org. Accessed December 22, 2020. https://connecticuthistory.org/

Terzaghi, K. 1936. “Stability of Slopes of Natural Clay.” Proc. Int. Conf. Soil Mech. Found. Eng., 1, 161-165.


London and Croydon Railway - History

The London & Birmingham Railway (L&BR) was London’s first main line and the largest civil engineering project yet attempted in the country, on a scale rarely matched before. The experience gained formed the basis of much of the general development of civil engineering in Britain and established the construction technology of the railway age. It also precipitated the railway mania of the 1840s.

Robert Stephenson, son of George Stephenson, was appointed engineer-in-chief for the whole line in September 1833. He was not yet thirty. He lived from 1836 to 1842 in a house then called 5 Devonshire Place, on the west side of Haverstock Hill, at the corner of Belsize Grove. His wife, Frances, died here and is buried in Hampstead churchyard.

The route of the line at the London end was dictated by the desire to reach the docks. Plans for the London terminus of the railway at Maiden Lane, near Kings Cross, had been rejected by Parliament and Robert Stephenson, ordered to make economy cuts, proposed a terminus in Camden Town at a depot by the side of the Regent’s Canal, adjacent to the Hampstead Road. At Camden Station some rail freight destined for waterside locations, including the Docks, could be transferred to the Canal, while rail passengers and other freight would be discharged onto the road system at Hampstead Road (now Chalk Farm Road).

Forced by high ground to approach London from the west rather than the northwest, the railway made its way around the edge of the built up area, heading slightly north of east, and passed between the southern flank of Hampstead Heath and Primrose Hill. The ground to the south of Primrose Hill was blocked by Regent’s Park and Portland Town. Gradients were kept down to 1 in 587 by means of nearly three miles of cutting and the 1120 yard (1024 metre) Primrose Hill Tunnel.

In late 1834 the L&BR company applied for an extension from Camden Town to allow passengers to reach Euston. The extension to Euston Grove, beside the New Road, was authorised on 3 July 1835 under the amending Act. The Regent’s Canal had to be crossed at a height that allowed boats to pass below the ground at Camden Depot therefore had to be raised, while that at Hampstead Road, close to Mornington Crescent, and six other road crossings, had to be lowered for rail tracks to pass under the roadways. The deep cutting with its handsome stone and iron bridges had massive curved retaining walls formed from about 16 million bricks.

The original plan was for Euston to serve both the L&BR, London’s first main line, and the Great Western Railway (GWR). However, as a result of Isambard Brunel’s insistence on a 7 ft (2.1 m) gauge for the GWR, and other disagreements between the rail companies, the west side pair of lines was not used by the GWR.

A stationary winding engine house was built by Robert Stephenson to pull trains up the incline from Euston to Camden Town, known as Camden Bank or Camden Incline, with a 4080 yard (3730 metre) long endless rope. Both the winding engines and the 19 ft (6 m) deep cutting to Euston responded to the concerns of influential local residents in regard to the noise and smoke from locomotives toiling up the Incline. The winding engine house formed a large vaulted underground structure, located under the main line just north of Regent’s Canal Bridge. Motive power was provided by two steam engines of 60 hp. Its two prominent chimneys became a tourist attraction. They were 133 ft (40 m) high, tapering from 12 ft (3.7 m) diameter at the base to 6 ft (1.8 m) at the top.

Later railways in the Camden area were to avoid the steep gradient imposed by the Regent's Canal either by going under it, as at Kings Cross, or by raising the rail terminus on arches, as at St. Pancras.

The first sod for the L&BR was cut at Chalk Farm on 1 June 1834. Difficult ground conditions on the Primrose Hill contract, including the tunnel and deep approach cutting, bankrupted the contractor. The work had to be taken over by the company using direct labour.

Maudslay, Sons & Field of Lambeth supplied 12 Bury-type 0-4-0 locomotives for the L&BR as well as the winding engines, delivery of which was delayed by repairs to the Regent’s Canal. A variety of Stephenson and other locomotives worked trains up the Incline until the winding engines were commissioned.

The Euston to Boxmoor section opened on 20 July 1837, and the 32 mile (52 km) line from Euston to Tring (and another section south from Birmingham) was opened in October 1837. The through line from London to Birmingham opened for public service on 17 September 1838. Initially passengers were unable to alight at Camden Station as the access road to the Hampstead Road was considered unsuitable, and a passenger station was created at Chalk Farm Bridge (now Regent’s Park Road Bridge).

In 1837 there were three trains a day going north from Euston pulled by small and slow locomotives. Only passengers went as far south as Euston. Camden handled all freight, which was transferred to road for distribution around London, or to the Regent’s Canal for transport to and from London docks.

First class passengers travelled in comfortable covered coaches but third class wagons were open, without windows, curtains or cushions on the seats. Both forms can be seen in the picture, showing Euston Station in 1837. Third class was stopped in October 1837 to be resumed three years later with third class trains and closed carriages.

At Camden the train from Euston arrived at the Iron Bridge that carried the railway over the Regent’s Canal and shortly afterwards the ‘messenger’, which attached the first carriage to the endless rope, was cast off before reaching the winding engines below. Carriages were then allowed to run along the line until they met and were harnessed to the locomotive engine by which they were pulled to Birmingham. From the stationary engine house to Chalk Farm Lane Bridge the gradient reversed from the climb up the Incline to a slight fall. This was engineered so as to check the speed of a train coming into London, and to give an impetus to one leaving London.

Trains from Birmingham would stop at Camden for tickets to be collected and for the locomotives to be detached from the front of the train and shunted to the rear to give the train an impetus towards Camden Incline. The train, now controlled by a brakeman or ‘bankrider’, travelled under gravity down the slope to Euston Station at a maximum speed of 10 mph. The endless rope can be seen between the rails of the eastern pair of rail tracks in the two pictures of Camden Incline.

After a number of trials, it was found that newer and more powerful locomotives could manage the Camden Incline, often with a second locomotive at the rear of the heavier trains. This saved time and operating costs, and the stationary engines were abandoned in April 1844. The underground vaults built by Robert Stephenson to house the stationary winding engines have survived extremely well and are structures on a truly majestic scale.

London & North Western Railway and its successors

In 1846 the London & Birmingham Railway (L&BR) amalgamated with several other companies to become the London & North Western Railway (LNWR), the largest of the Victorian era companies.

The rail freight connection to London docks was not made until the completion of the East and West India Docks and Birmingham Junction Railway in 1851. The name was changed to North London Railway (NLR) in 1853. This line proved very successful as a passenger line for city workers commuting from the new estates. With the through line from Camden Town, goods could be moved directly to and from the London docks, and the railway was a real rival to the Regent’s Canal at last.

The LNWR was a ‘main line’ railway and local traffic was largely left to the NLR. Hampstead Road station was opened in 1851. The station was re-sited four years later, renamed Chalk Farm in 1862 and rebuilt in 1871. Chalk Farm Station had platforms on both the LNWR and NLR lines with a footbridge link between the two after 1872. The four-track LNWR line out of Euston was widened between 1900 and 1906, requiring the demolition of one side of Park Village East.

Until the 20th century LNWR proper had no suburban services to speak of, except those associated with the NLR. After 1907, traffic was lost to Chalk Farm tube station, but the LNWR platforms lingered mainly for ticket collection purposes. Ticket collecting from platforms declined, however, and this, together with the need for space for the new system of sub-surface tracks, led to the demolition of the LNWR Chalk Farm station in 1915. No traces of the old LNWR platforms remain today. The North London Railway became part of the LNWR in 1922.

The next stage of major expansion was essentially for suburban services. It was based on the broad concept of an electrified system embracing all the North London lines west of Broad Street, an electrified line to Watford, and the extension of the Hampstead services by electric trains to Kew Bridge. The main lines from Euston to the North were already far too crowded to permit an intense electric service being superimposed on them. The decision was taken to build a “New Line” on which the suburban electric services would be almost entirely independent of the main lines, designed for four-rail DC electric trains. At Willesden Junction and eastwards to Chalk Farm widening could be done most conveniently on the up (into London) side of the line. The New Line was opened in stages from 1912. Various stages within Camden were completed over 1915-1917, including two single track tube-type tunnels just north of the original Primrose Hill Tunnel, but the entire project was held up pending the complete track-remodelling scheme at Chalk Farm, which created an elaborate system of burrowing junctions.

On 10 July 1922, Chalk Farm station, long closed to passenger traffic, was reopened, although with platforms only on the line to Broad Street. The lines from Euston, the exit from Camden goods yard, and the newly electrified link from Camden Town all led to the new non-conflicting junctions controlled by Camden No. 2 box. Here they were sorted out to enter the old fast (southern) and slow (northern) Primrose Hill Tunnels and new twin electrified bores. The new bores at Primrose Hill Tunnel, and new tracks from there to Queen’s Park, were the final portion of the new line to be opened.

The LNWR became part of the London Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS) under the “Grouping” of 1923. After nationalisation in 1948, the London Midland Region of British Railways administered Camden Goods Depot.

After the opening of a new shed at Willesden for freight locomotives in 1873, the remaining locomotive shed at Camden Depot was used almost exclusively by large express passenger locomotives. It thus became a mecca for train buffs. Steam lasted until 1962, to be replaced by diesel, but the diesels did not stay long and the Passenger Locomotive Shed (then known as Camden Motive Power Depot) was closed completely on 3 January 1966. Today carriage sidings occupy much of its site. The goods depot closed around 1980.

In 1950 Chalk Farm station became Primrose Hill station and the street building was reconstructed. Primrose Hill station closed on 22 September 1992. The island platform with its 1871 buildings remained until December 2008 when it was demolished controversially by Network Rail.


London and Croydon Railway - History

KEN TOWL reviews an extensive and exhaustive new book about the local light rail network, which opened for service in May 2000

The 20th anniversary of the south London tram network opening is this May

As former ITN newsreader and “The Voice of Tramlink”, Nicholas Owen notes in his foreword that the transport system officially called “London Tramlink” is more commonly referred to as the Croydon trams.

Gareth’s David’s new book Croydon Tramlink, A Definitive History quite rightly puts Croydon at the heart of its 20-year history of the south-east’s only tram system.

Indeed, David looks back to the years before the opening ceremony on May 10, 2000, and charts the development of the trams as Croydon’s response to the threat posed by a booming Docklands served by a light railway system of its own. Croydon was looking tatty by comparison and faced a future of decline and falling property rents.

In addition, New Addington had remained isolated and ill-served by public transport since it grew up after World War II. A tram line could be a lifeline.

Support was by no means universal: Sir Paul Beresford, Croydon Central’s Tory MP at the time, told Parliament during the second reading of the Croydon Tramlink Bill that residents of Lynden Hyrst on Addiscombe Road “feel that when they step on to the pavement, the Tramlink will virtually run across their toenails”.

Croydon Tramlink is a substantial book written by an experienced, professional journalist (David worked on the business desks of The Times, Observer و Sunday Times for 10 years) that details the system’s planning, building, opening, financial meltdown, rescue by Transport for London, and a section dedicated to photos of trams. Indeed, the book is what an advertiser might be tempted lazily to describe as “lavishly illustrated throughout”.

The book is full of intriguing vignettes that illustrate the perhaps inevitable friction between planning evangelists and the nimbyist tendency of the local fauna. A woman who lost part of her back garden to the line near the Sandilands stop (described perhaps uncharitably by a transport official as “slightly mad”) apparently informed the Parliamentary Committee that the squirrels she fed would “all be devastated”.

David’s book does not skirt around the 2016 tragedy either. The chapter “Accidents and incidents” documents a litany of apparent suicide attempts, careless motorists, tram-surfing and a handful of fatalities, setting the scene for what David refers to as “a defining moment in the history of Tramlink… 06.07hrs on Wednesday, 9 November 2016… Britain’s worst tram disaster for almost a century”.

For the first time, the fatalities were passengers of the tram itself.

David applies a light touch to speculation about why the tram came off the rails at the bend near Sandilands, briefly exploring statements made by passengers, employees, British Transport Police and the chief executive of First Group, the parent company of Tram Operations Ltd, before focusing on recommendations and enhancement to safety made as a result of the crash.

Finally, David looks at the potential expansion of the network. He is a passionate advocate for extending it.

From the long-mooted spur up to Crystal Palace to the ill-considered and ill-fated “Dingwall Loop” documented previously in Inside Croydon, none have become reality. That loop, of course, had been predicated on the arrival of the great 200,000 sqm Westfield shopping centre. Another possible extension, given tentative approval by the then London Mayor, Boris Johnson, is a Wimbledon to Sutton line which could potentially link the system, and Sutton, of course, to the Tube network via the Northern Line at Morden.

That’s certainly the transport investment which David thinks would serve south London best.

This book is something of, well, a trainman’s holiday for David, a life-long railway enthusiast whose CV includes the interesting nugget that he has travelled most of the narrow gauge railways across Europe, including the entire network of Albania. Living in Guildford these days, he is a working volunteer on the Mid-Hants Railway vintage line.

Ahead of the important anniversary of what has proved itself an enormously successful piece of transport infrastructure, we are fortunate to have David chart the history of Tramlink which is, above anything else, a Croydon institution.

Coombe Lane tram stop is one of the more remote and rural on the network

It has changed the way many of us move around, it has provided an umbilical cord between the denizens of New Addington and the burghers of Wimbledon, to the benefit of both, and it provides us all with a quick and cheap lift to places as diverse as Morden Hall Park, the Addington Hills and the Tesco at Elmers End.

David says that his favourite stop is among its most remote: Coombe Lane. “It is such a delightful spot, and with a pleasant walk back to Lloyd Park alongside the tramway”.

You don’t have to be a light railway nerd to be interested in Croydon Tramlink, A Definitive History, but for anyone who has the good fortune to live in Croydon, it must be worth at least a look at the story of “how one corner of Greater London identified, and then created, an environmentally-friendly and sustainable solution to its urgent need for improved local transport”.

  • If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or what to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at [email protected]
  • Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
  • Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
  • Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
  • ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For ثلاثة consecutive years, 2017, 2018 and 2019, Inside Croydon has been the source for award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
  • Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by 721,000 unique visitors in 2019

The ghastly history of Gatwick Airport train tunnel that leads to Croydon

Whether you&aposve ever got the train from Croydon to Gatwick Airport or you would normally use the rail line to get to work in Redhill, you will know the long tunnel that sends your journey into darkness.

Obviously, we aren&apost travelling too far at the moment, but you&aposll also know the Merstham Tunnel - between Coulsdon South and Merstham stations - because your phone loses signal for ages.

Without Twitter to scroll through or the latest WhatsApp group message to read you actually look up and wonder "why are we going through a tunnel?" Or "what could we possibly be passing under between Croydon and Redhill?"

For more news and features about London directly to your inbox sign up to our newsletter here.

Few passengers - even those who travel on the Brighton Main Line - will know the answers.

And even fewer are likely to know the sinister history of the Merstham Tunnel, or that it was the scene of the first possible murder on a train in the UK.

اقرأ أكثر
مقالات ذات صلة
اقرأ أكثر
مقالات ذات صلة

The construction of the 1.04-mile-long Merstham Tunnel started in 1839 and took two years to complete.

It is there so that trains can get through the hills of the North Downs, with the tunnel being cut through chalk.

Tunnel built to link London and Brighton by train

The tunnel&aposs construction would be a crucial part of allowing London and Brighton to be linked by a train line.

When a railway line from London to Brighton was first proposed in the 1830s no fewer than six routes were suggested, only two of which came through the Merstham Gap north of what is now Redhill.

The winning route was an unexpected victor at the end of a Parliamentary enquiry.

اقرأ أكثر
مقالات ذات صلة
اقرأ أكثر
مقالات ذات صلة

Even then, the line should have gone through or near Reigate rather than two miles to the east of it. According to one account, opposition from local landowners prevented it doing so, but it is more likely that the topography of the area was the cause.

The route chosen followed that of the new Brighton Road, opened in 1818 through the gap between Redstone Hill and Redhill Common.

At that time Redhill as a town did not exist. The area now occupied by the town centre was empty marshland devoid of any buildings. There were a few farms in the vicinity and a cluster of cottages but that was about it.

Tunnel initially fitted with gas lamps to make passengers feel safer

When the tunnel was finished, to make the public feel safe in the darkness, gas lamps were fitted to the walls which were whitewashed.

This was soon abandoned, however, after the large amount of soot emitted from the trains made it too difficult to keep bright.

The tunnel was something of an engineering marvel but in 1905 it gained notoriety for a far darker reason when it became the site of a murder mystery.

Tunnel became the site of a real life murder mystery

On September 24, 1905, a 22-year-old woman&aposs body was found mutilated inside the tunnel by a sub inspector, William Peacock.

Peacock found Mary Sophia Money shortly before 11pm, while her body was still warm, and took her to the nearest train station where police instructed him to bring it to The Feathers Inn.

Mary, a bookkeeper, did not have any identifying papers on her and the day after her brother, Robert Henry Money, a dairy farmer, had to identify her.

It was initially assumed the cause of death was suicide, as Peacock believed she had jumped from a train while it was passing through the tunnel.

However, "claw marks" were found on the walls of the tunnel which suggested there may have been a struggle.

A silk scarf had been forced down the woman&aposs throat

The theory that she had been murdered was strengthened by her post-mortem, as it was discovered that a white, silk scarf had been forced down her throat.

Scratches, bruises and cuts were also discovered on her arms and face, which led doctors to believe she had been pushed off or struggled with someone while on the train.

Her last moments were then heavily investigated by detectives as they tried to solve the murder.

On the night of her death she had bought a bag of chocolates after finishing work at about 7pm and told a friend she was going for a walk before heading to Victoria station.


شاهد الفيديو: السكة حديد