مقاطعة أديسون LST-31 - التاريخ

مقاطعة أديسون LST-31 - التاريخ

مقاطعة أديسون

مقاطعة في غرب وسط فيرمونت.

(LST-31: dp. 3960 ؛ 1. 328 '؛ ب. 50' ؛ د. 14'1 "؛ ق. 11.6 ك ؛ cpl. 119 ؛ a. 6 40mm. ، 12 20mm. ، 2 .30- السعرات الحرارية ملغ ؛ el. LST-1)

تم وضع LST-31 في 2 فبراير 1943 في بيتسبرغ ، بنسلفانيا ، من قبل شركة Dravo Corp. ، التي تم إطلاقها في 5 يونيو 1943 برعاية السيدة موريي إندريس التي قبلتها البحرية] وضعت في عمولة مخفضة في ؛ 0 يوليو 1943 ، و أبحرت إلى نيو أورلينز حيث تم تكليفها بكامل طاقتها في 21 يوليو 1943 ، الملازم جون د. شنايدو الابن ، USNR ، في القيادة.

بدأت سفينة إنزال الدبابات الجديدة في 29 يوليو في مدينة بنما بولاية فلوريدا ، حيث أجرت سلسلة من التدريبات على الشاطئ. عادت LST-31 إلى نيو أورلينز في 7 أغسطس لتقل البضائع لنقلها إلى المحيط الهادئ. بعد فترة وجيزة من الميناء في خليج جوانتانامو بكوبا ، عبرت السفينة قناة بنما في 24 أغسطس وانضمت إلى أسطول المحيط الهادئ. ثم واصلت طريقها إلى سان دييغو ، كاليفورنيا ، حيث وصلت في 13 سبتمبر.

بعد المشاركة في تمارين الشاطئ في منطقة سان دييغو ، توقفت السفينة في ميناء هوينيم وفي سان فرانسيسكو ، كاليفورنيا ، لنقل البضائع. غادرت الساحل الغربي في 15 أكتوبر متجهة إلى هاواي ، ووصلت إلى بيرل هاربور في 25 ، وبدأت في التفريغ. عندما تم الانتهاء من هذه المهمة ، قام LST ~ 31 مرة أخرى بتثبيت المرساة في 5 نوفمبر وشكل مسارًا لجزر جيلبرت. كعضو في القوة البرمائية الخامسة ، كان من المقرر أن تشارك السفينة في الهجوم على جزيرة ماكين.

وصلت LST ~ 31 قبالة ماكين في 20 وبدأت في تفريغ القوات والبضائع إلى الشاطئ. بقيت خارج تلك الجزيرة المرجانية حتى 3 ديسمبر ، عندما بدأت في العودة إلى بيرل هاربور. بعد وصولها بوقت قصير ، دخلت السفينة إلى بيرل هاربور نيفي يارد لإجراء الإصلاحات والتعديلات. أثناء إصلاح محركاتها ، تم تركيب مدافع إضافية عيار 40 ملم و 20 ملم. انتهت فترة الفناء في أوائل يناير 1944 ، ثم شاركت السفينة المجددة في تدريبات قبالة ماوي استعدادًا لغزو جزر مارشال.

غادرت سفينة إنزال الدبابات بيرل هاربور في 19 يناير وحددت مسارًا لكواجالين. رست قبالة تلك الجزيرة المرجانية في 1 فبراير وبدأت في تفريغ حمولتها لدعم العمليات في جزر مارشال. في 12 فبراير ، بدأت السفينة في إبحار قواتها لغزو إنيوتوك ، وبعد خمسة أيام ، قامت بفرز مع LST Group 8. شاطأت في Eniwetok في 20 وبدأت في إنزال جنودها وتفريغ البضائع إلى الشاطئ. بقيت LST ~ 31 هناك حتى 20 مارس ، عندما انطلقت في رحلة إلى هاواي. توقفت في طريقها في كواجالين وتاراوا لنقل البضائع والركاب ووصلت أخيرًا إلى بيرل هاربور في 15 أبريل.

بعد إصلاحات الحوض الجاف هناك ، استأنفت العمليات في 10 مايو بسلسلة من التدريبات في خليج هابونا ، هاواي. في يوم 25 ، غادر LST-31 مياه هاواي متجهة إلى إنيوتوك. عند وصولها إلى تلك الجزيرة المرجانية في 7 يونيو ، تزودت بالوقود وأخذت البضائع استعدادًا للعمليات ضد سايبان. وصلت السفينة قبالة سايبان في 14 يونيو وبدأت في تفريغ القوات والإمدادات إلى الشاطئ. قامت بتطهير المنطقة في 23d وعادت إلى Eniwetok لتجديد حمولتها.

وصل LST ~ 31 مرة أخرى إلى Saipan في 17 يوليو ؛ الإمدادات الفارغة والمراكب الصغيرة ؛ وخلال الأسابيع القليلة التالية ، عمل كسفينة مستشفى. في الليل ، كانت ترسو قبالة سايبان لتتلقى تسهيلات وكانت تسير قبالة تينيان خلال ساعات النهار. احتلت هذه المهمة السفينة حتى 21 أغسطس ، عندما بدأت رحلة ذهابًا وإيابًا إلى إنيوتوك. بعد عودتها إلى سايبان ، خضعت السفينة لإصلاحات الرحلة لمدة ثلاثة أيام وبدأت في 23 سبتمبر للساحل الغربي للولايات المتحدة. في الطريق ، لمست في إنيوتوك. جزر أباماما وماكين جزر جيلبرت ؛ وبيرل هاربور. غادرت الميناء الأخير في 6 نوفمبر ووصلت إلى سان فرانسيسكو ، كاليفورنيا ، في 17 نوفمبر 1944.

بعد يوم واحد في الميناء هناك ، أبحرت LST-31 إلى سان بيدرو لدخول ساحات شركة West Coast لبناء السفن لإجراء تعديلات وإصلاحات واسعة النطاق. غادرت السفينة الفناء في أوائل فبراير 1945 وأجرت تجارب بحرية ، ووصلت إلى Mare Island Navy Yard Vallejo ، كاليفورنيا ، في 18 فبراير لتأخذ على متن قارب برمائي. ثم زارت سياتل ، واشنطن ، لأعمال إصلاح إضافية. في 10 مارس ، انطلقت السفينة إلى هاواي ووصلت إلى بيرل هاربور في 23 يوم.

غادر LST ~ 31 هاواي في 4 أبريل إلى أوكيناوا. صعدت ركابًا وحملت الإمدادات في إنيوتوك وغوام قبل أن تتجه إلى ريوكيوس وترسو في المياه قبالة جنوب غرب أوكيناوا في 3 مايو. وبقيت في المنطقة لمدة ثلاثة أسابيع تقريبًا تقدم الدعم اللوجستي للقوات التي تقاتل في أوكيناوا. وصلت السفينة إلى UIithi في 28 مايو ، وحملت البضائع ، وفي 2 يونيو ، حددت مسارًا لجزيرة Leyte في الفلبين.

خلال أشهر يونيو ويوليو وأغسطس ، عملت LST-31 بين الفلبين وأوكيناوا ، لنقل الإمدادات والقوات بين النقطتين لبناء أوكيناوا كقاعدة لغزو الجزر اليابانية. لكن تم تجنب هذا الغزو عندما استسلمت اليابان في 15 أغسطس. ثم بدأت السفينة بنقل قوات الاحتلال ومعداتها إلى اليابان من نقاط مختلفة في الفلبين. وصلت لأول مرة إلى المياه اليابانية في 15 سبتمبر ، عندما رست في خليج طوكيو.

في 30 نوفمبر ، تم تعيين LST-31 للخدمة في اليابان مع الأسطول الخامس ، المجموعة البرمائية 11 ، LST Flotilla 35. ومع ذلك تم إلغاء هذه الأوامر في أواخر ديسمبر وتم تحديد موعد إيقاف تشغيل السفينة. كان من المقرر أن يتم تسليمها إلى البحرية التجارية اليابانية ليديرها طاقم ياباني خاضع للسيطرة الأمريكية لاستخدامها في إعادة المواطنين اليابانيين ونقل الإمدادات بين الموانئ اليابانية. بعد تجريد السفينة من جميع الأسلحة والمعدات الأخرى في زمن الحرب ، تم إيقاف تشغيل LST-31 في 8 يناير 1946 وتم نقلها إلى اليابانيين.

عملت السفينة تحت السيطرة اليابانية في مايو 1948. غادرت يوكوهاما في ثلاثة أيام من ذلك الشهر وشاركت في مسار للساحل الغربي للولايات المتحدة. رست سفينة إنزال الدبابة في وقت لاحق في منطقة سياتل. في 1 يوليو 1955 ، تم تسمية LST ~ 31 بمقاطعة أديسون. تم شطب اسمها من قائمة البحرية في 11 أغسطس 1955 ، وتم إغراقها لاحقًا كهدف.

حصلت مقاطعة أديسون على خمس نجوم قتالية مقابل خدمتها في الحرب العالمية الثانية.


USS LST-31

يو اس اس مقاطعة أديسون (LST-31) كان LST-1- سفينة إنزال دبابات من الطراز تم بناؤها لصالح البحرية الأمريكية خلال الحرب العالمية الثانية. سميت لمقاطعة أديسون ، فيرمونت ، وكانت السفينة البحرية الأمريكية الوحيدة التي تحمل الاسم.

تم وضع LST-31 في 2 فبراير 1943 في بيتسبرغ بولاية بنسلفانيا من قبل شركة Dravo التي تم إطلاقها في 5 يونيو 1943 برعاية السيدة موريس إندريس والتي قبلتها البحرية وتم وضعها في عمولة مخفضة في 10 يوليو 1943 وأبحرت إلى نيو أورليانز حيث كانت تم تعيينه في اللجنة الكاملة في 21 يوليو 1943 بقيادة الملازم أول جون د.


مقاطعة أديسون LST-31 - التاريخ

تم وضع LST-30 في 12 يناير 1943 في بيتسبرغ ، بنسلفانيا ، من قبل شركة Dravo Corp. التي تم إطلاقها في 3 مايو 1943 برعاية السيدة C. B. Jansen وتم تكليفها في 3 يوليو 1943.

خلال الحرب العالمية الثانية ، تم تعيين LST-30 في المسرح الأوروبي وشارك في العملية التالية:

غزو ​​نورماندي - يونيو 1944

تم إيقاف تشغيل LST-30 في 6 مارس 1946 وتم حذفها من قائمة البحرية في 8 مايو 1946. وفي 2 أبريل 1947 ، تم بيعها لشركة دبليو هوراس ويليامز في نيو أورلينز بولاية لوس أنجلوس وتم تحويلها لخدمة التجار .

حصل LST-30 على نجمة معركة واحدة لخدمة الحرب العالمية الثانية.

تم وضع LST-81 في 2 فبراير 1943 في بيتسبرغ ، بنسلفانيا ، من قبل شركة Dravo Corp. التي تم إطلاقها في 5 يونيو 1943 برعاية السيدة موريس إندريس وتم تكليفها في 21 يوليو 1943.

خلال الحرب العالمية 11 ، خدم LST-31 في مسرح AsiaticPacific وشارك في العمليات التالية:

عملية جزر جيلبرت - نوفمبر وديسمبر 1943

عملية جزر مارشال:

(أ) احتلال Kwajalein و Majuro Atolls - يناير وفبراير 1944

(ب) احتلال Eniwetok Atoll-February ومارس 1944

(أ) الاستيلاء على سايبان - يونيو واحتلالها حتى أغسطس 1944

احتلال تينيان - يوليو وأغسطس 1944

(أ) الاعتداء على أوكيناوا جونتو واحتلالها - مايو 1945

مباشرة بعد الحرب ، أدت LST-31 واجب الاحتلال في الشرق الأقصى حتى أوائل يناير 1946. عادت إلى الولايات المتحدة وتم إيقاف تشغيلها في 8 يناير 1946. في 1 يوليو 1955 ، تم تسمية LST-31 باسم مقاطعة أديسون بعد مقاطعة في فيرمونت. تم شطب اسمها من قائمة البحرية في 11 أغسطس 1955 ، وتم إغراقها كهدف.

حصلت مقاطعة أديسون على خمس نجوم قتالية في خدمة الحرب العالمية الثانية باسم LST-31.

تم وضع LST-32 في 17 فبراير 1943 في بيتسبرغ ، بنسلفانيا ، من قبل شركة Dravo Corp. التي تم إطلاقها في 22 مايو 1943 برعاية الآنسة دوروثي إم مانكو وتم تكليفها في 12 يوليو 1943 ، الملازم أول غاردنر ب.مولوي في القيادة.

خلال الحرب العالمية 11 ، تم تعيين LST-32 في المسرح الأوروبي وشارك في العمليات التالية:

غزو ​​جنوب فرنسا - أغسطس وسبتمبر 1944

تم إيقاف تشغيل LST-32 في يوليو 1946. وأعيد تشغيلها في 7 مارس 1951. في 1 يوليو 1955 ، LST

82 تم تعيين اسم مقاطعة ألاميدا بعد مقاطعة في كاليفورنيا. تم إعادة تصنيفها مقاطعة ألاميدا (AVB-1) في 28 أغسطس 1957 ، وتم إيقاف تشغيلها في 25 يونيو 1962 ، وتم استبعادها من قائمة البحرية في نفس الشهر. في 20 نوفمبر 1962 ، تم نقلها إلى البحرية الإيطالية.

حصلت مقاطعة ألاميدا على نجمتي معركة للخدمة في الحرب العالمية الثانية باسم LST-32.

تم وضع LST-33 في 23 فبراير 1943 في بيتسبرغ ، بنسلفانيا ، من قبل شركة Dravo Corp. التي تم إطلاقها في 21 يونيو 1943 برعاية السيدة بول ج.

انضمت في 4 أغسطس 1943 وتم نقلها إلى البحرية اليونانية في 18 أغسطس 1943 ، والتي خدمت معها خلال الفترة المتبقية من الحرب العالمية الثانية. تم بيعها إلى حكومة اليونان في يناير 1947 وعملت هناك تحت اسم ساموس (إل 179). تم شطبها من قائمة البحرية في 23 يونيو 1947.

تم وضع LST-34 في 15 مارس 1943 في بيتسبرغ ، بنسلفانيا ، من قبل شركة Dravo Corp. التي تم إطلاقها في 15 يونيو 1943 برعاية السيدة Verne C. Cobb وتم تكليفها في 26 يوليو 1943.

خلال الحرب العالمية الثانية ، خدم LST-34 في مسرح AsiaticPacific وشارك في العمليات التالية:

عملية جزر جيلبرت - نوفمبر وديسمبر 1943

عملية جزر مارشال:

(أ) احتلال Kwajalein و Majuro Atolls - يناير وفبراير 1944

(ب) احتلال Eniwetok Atoll-February ومارس 1944

(أ) الاستيلاء على سايبان واحتلالها - يونيو 1944

هبوط ليتي - أكتوبر ونوفمبر 1944

هبوط Lingayen في لوزون - يناير 1945

(أ) الاعتداء على أوكيناوا جونتو واحتلالها - مايو 1945

بعد الحرب ، أدت LST-34 واجب الاحتلال في الشرق الأقصى من مارس إلى نوفمبر 1946. عادت إلى الولايات المتحدة وتم إيقاف تشغيلها في 15 نوفمبر 1946 وتم نقلها إلى الحكومة العسكرية ريوكيوس. تم شطب اسمها من قائمة البحرية في 23 ديسمبر 1947. جنحت في الشرق الأقصى في يناير 1949 ، وتم التخلي عن هيكلها.

حصل LST-34 على ستة من نجوم المعركة للخدمة في الحرب العالمية 11.

تم وضع LST-35 في 20 مارس 1943 في بيتسبرغ ، بنسلفانيا ، من قبل شركة Dravo Corp. التي تم إطلاقها في 30 يونيو 1943 برعاية السيدة Samuel G. Cooper وتم نقلها إلى حكومة اليونان في 18 أغسطس 1943 والتي عملت معها ما تبقى من الحرب العالمية الثانية. تم بيعها للحكومة اليونانية في يناير 1947 وعملت هناك تحت اسم خيوس (L-195). تم شطب اسمها من قائمة البحرية في 23 يونيو 1947.

تم وضع LST-36 في 21 أبريل 1943 في بيتسبرغ ، بنسلفانيا ، من قبل شركة Dravo Corp. التي تم إطلاقها في 10 يوليو 1943 برعاية السيدة فرانكلين كين وتم نقلها إلى حكومة اليونان في 23 أغسطس 1943 والتي عملت معها خلال الفترة المتبقية من الحرب العالمية الثانية. تم بيعها إلى حكومة اليونان في يناير 1947 وعملت هناك تحت اسم Lemnos (L-158). تم شطب اسمها من قائمة البحرية في 23 يونيو 1947.

تم وضع LST-37 في 1 أبريل 1943 في Pittsbu rgh ، Pa. ، من قبل شركة Dravo Corp. التي تم إطلاقها في 5 يوليو 1943 برعاية السيدة جاك دومب وتم نقلها إلى حكومة اليونان في 18 أغسطس 1943. ، تونس ، في 1 يونيو 1944 ، وغرقت. تم شطب اسمها من قائمة البحرية في 12 أغسطس 1948.

تم وضع LST-38 في 14 أبريل 1943 في بيتسبرغ ، بنسلفانيا ، من قبل شركة Dravo Corp. التي تم إطلاقها في 27 يوليو 19.43 برعاية الآنسة Bertha Karpinski وتم تكليفها في 3 سبتمبر 1943.

خلال الحرب العالمية الثانية ، تم تعيين LST-38 في مسرح آسيا والمحيط الهادئ وشارك في العمليات التالية:

عملية جزر مارشال:

(أ) احتلال Kwajalein و Majuro Atolls - يناير وفبراير 1944

عملية أرخبيل بسمارك ،

(أ) إنزال جزر الأميرالية مارس وأبريل 1944

عملية هولانديا - أبريل 1944

(أ) الاستيلاء على غوام واحتلالها - تموز / يوليه 1944

بعد الحرب ، أعيد تصميم LST-38 LSTH38 في 15 سبتمبر 1945. أدت واجب الاحتلال في الشرق الأقصى حتى منتصف نوفمبر 1945.

عند عودتها إلى الولايات المتحدة ، خرجت السفينة من الخدمة في 26 مارس 1946 وقُطعت من قائمة البحرية في 1 مايو 1946. وفي 5 ديسمبر 1947 ، تم بيعها لشركة السفن ومعدات الطاقة ، باربر ، نيوجيرسي ، و ألغيت في وقت لاحق.

حصل LSTH-38 على أربعة نجوم معركة لخدمة الحرب العالمية الثانية باسم LST-38.

تم وضع LST-39 في 23 أبريل 1943 من قبل شركة Dravo Corp. في بيتسبرغ ، بنسلفانيا ، وتم إطلاقها في 29 يوليو 1943 برعاية السيدة LA Mertz وتم تكليفها في 8 سبتمبر 1943. تم تعيينها في منطقة المحيط الهادئ خلال الحرب العالمية الثانية لكنه رأى أي عمل قتالي. غرقت في صيف عام 1944 ، وتم شطبها من قائمة البحرية في 18 يوليو 1944. أعيد تعويمها فيما بعد ، وتحويلها إلى بارجة إصدار قطع غيار ، وأعيد تصميمها YF-1079. خدمت البحرية بهذه الصفة حتى وقت ما بين يوليو 1945 ويناير 1946 ، وفي ذلك الوقت اختفت YF-1079 من قائمة البحرية.


الجوائز [تحرير | تحرير المصدر]

خلال الحرب العالمية الثانية ، خدم LST-31 في مسرح آسيا والمحيط الهادئ وشارك في عملية جزر جيلبرت (نوفمبر وديسمبر 1943) عملية جزر مارشال ، (أ) احتلال كواجالين وماجورو أتولز (يناير وفبراير 1944) ، و (ب) احتلال Eniwetok Atoll (فبراير ومارس 1944) عملية ماريانا ، (أ) الاستيلاء على سايبان واحتلالها (من يونيو إلى أغسطس 1944) واحتلال تينيان (يوليو وأغسطس 1944) وعملية أوكيناوا جونتو والاعتداء والاحتلال لأوكيناوا جونتو (مايو 1945). مقاطعة أديسون حصلت على خمس نجوم معركة مقابل خدمتها في الحرب العالمية الثانية.


  • بلدة هانكوك من دليل فيرمونت التاريخي.
  • كاتب بلدة هانكوك:
    البريد: ص. ب 100
    جسديًا: 48 VT Route 125 Hancock، VT 05748
    ص: 802-767-3660
    ف: 802-767-4370
    البريد الإلكتروني: [email protected]
  • بلدة ليستر من دليل فيرمونت التاريخي. (موقع رسمي)
  • جمعية ليستر التاريخية - تجتمع في قاعة مدينة ليستر
  • كاتب ليستر تاون:
    44 شارع المدرسة. ليستر ، فاتو 05733
    رقم الهاتف: 802-247-5961 x3
    ف: 802-247-6501
    البريد الإلكتروني: [email protected]

مقاطعة أديسون LST-31 - التاريخ

من قاموس سفن القتال البحرية الأمريكية ، المجلد. السابع (1981) ، ص 569-731.

تم وضع LST-1 في 20 يوليو 1942 في بيتسبرغ ، بنسلفانيا ، من قبل شركة Dravo Corp. التي تم إطلاقها في 7 سبتمبر 1942 برعاية السيدة Laurence T. Haugen ، وتم تكليفها في 14 ديسمبر 1942 ، بتكليف من الملازم و.

خلال الحرب العالمية الأولى ، تم تعيين LST-1 في المسرح الأوروبي وشارك في العمليات التالية:

  • احتلال صقلية - يوليو 1943
  • هبوط ساليرنو - سبتمبر 1943
  • مرحلة عمليات Anzio-Nettuno على الساحل الغربي لإيطاليا - من يناير إلى مارس 1944
  • غزو ​​نورماندي - يونيو 1944

تم إيقاف تشغيل LST-1 في 21 مايو 1946 وتم شطبها من قائمة البحرية في 19 يونيو 1946. وفي 5 ديسمبر 1947 ، تم بيعها إلى شركة سفن الطاقة والمعدات ، باربر ، نيوجيرسي ، لتخريدها.

حصل LST-1 على أربعة نجوم معركة في خدمة الحرب العالمية الثانية.

تم وضع LST-2 في 23 يونيو 1942 في بيتسبرغ بنسلفانيا ، من قبل شركة Dravo Corp. ، التي تم إطلاقها في 19 سبتمبر 1942 برعاية الآنسة نانسي جين هيوز وتم تكليفها في 9 فبراير 1943.

خلال الحرب العالمية الثانية ، تم تعيين LST-2 في المسرح الأوروبي وشارك في العمليات التالية:

  • احتلال شمال إفريقيا - أوائل عام 1943
  • احتلال صقلية - يوليو 1943
  • هبوط ساليرنو - سبتمبر 1943
  • غزو ​​نورماندي - يونيو 1944

تم إيقاف تشغيل LST-2 في 11 أبريل 1946 وتم حذفها من قائمة البحرية في 5 يونيو 1946. وفي 5 ديسمبر 1947 ، تم بيعها إلى بوسي بالفلبين.

حصل LST-2 على أربعة نجوم معركة لخدمة الحرب العالمية الثانية.

تم وضع LST-3 في 29 يونيو 1942 في بيتسبرغ ، بنسلفانيا ، من قبل شركة Dravo Corp. ، التي تم إطلاقها في 19 سبتمبر 1942 ، برعاية السيدة A.C. Harlow ، وتم تكليفها في 8 فبراير 1943

خلال الحرب العالمية الثانية ، تم تعيين LST-S في المسرح الأوروبي وشارك في العمليات التالية:

  • احتلال صقلية من يوليو إلى أغسطس 1943
  • غزو ​​جنوب فرنسا - أغسطس حتى سبتمبر 1944

تم إيقاف تشغيل LST-3 في وقت ما بعد انتهاء الحرب العالمية الثانية وتم حذفها من قائمة البحرية في 19 يونيو 1946. وفي 10 سبتمبر 1947 ، تم بيعها لشركة Boston Metals Co في بالتيمور بولاية ميريلاند لتخريدها.

حصل LST-3 على نجمتي معركة لخدمة الحرب العالمية الثانية.

تم وضع LST-4 في 4 يوليو 1942 في بيتسبرغ ، بنسلفانيا ، من قبل شركة Dravo Corp. ، التي تم إطلاقها في 9 أكتوبر 1942 برعاية السيدة ج.
14 فبراير 1943.

خلال الحرب العالمية الثانية ، تم تعيين LST-4 في المسرح الأوروبي وشارك في العمليات التالية:

  • احتلال صقلية - يوليو 1943
  • هبوط ساليرنو - سبتمبر 1943
  • تقدمت عمليات الساحل الغربي لإيطاليا - أنزيو - نيتونو عمليات الإنزال في يناير وفبراير 1944
  • غزو ​​جنوب فرنسا - أغسطس وأيلول 1944

تم تفكيك LST-4 في وقت ما بعد انتهاء الحرب العالمية الثانية وتم حذفها من قائمة البحرية في 19 يونيو 1946. وفي 10 سبتمبر 1947 ، تم بيعها لشركة Boston Metals Co في بالتيمور بولاية ميريلاند لتخريدها.

حصل LST-4 على أربعة نجوم معركة لخدمة الحرب العالمية الثانية.

تم وضع LST-5 في 12 يوليو 1942 في بيتسبرغ ، بنسلفانيا ، من قبل شركة Dravo Corp. ، وتم إطلاقه في 3 أكتوبر 1942 برعاية السيدة Wanetta Rose Barker ، وتم تكليفه في 22 فبراير 1943.

خلال الحرب العالمية الثانية ، تم تعيين LST-5 في المسرح الأوروبي وشارك في العمليات التالية:

  • احتلال صقلية - يوليو 1943
  • هبوط ساليرنو - سبتمبر 1943
  • غزو ​​نورماندي - يونيو 1944

تم سحب LST-5 من الخدمة في وقت ما بعد انتهاء الحرب العالمية الثانية وتم شطبها من قائمة البحرية في 1 أغسطس 1947. في 7 أكتوبر 1947 ، تم بيعها لشركة Tung Hwa Trading Co في سنغافورة لتخريدها.

حصل LST-5 على ثلاث نجوم معركة لخدمة الحرب العالمية الثانية.

تم وضع LST-6 في 20 يوليو 1942 في ويلمنجتون ، ديل. ، من قبل شركة Dravo Corp. ، التي تم إطلاقها في 21 أكتوبر 1942 برعاية السيدة إتش إي هافن ، وتم تكليفها في 30 يناير 1943

خلال الحرب العالمية الثانية ، تم تعيين LST-6 في المسرح الأوروبي وشارك في العمليات التالية:

  • احتلال صقلية - يوليو 1943
  • هبوط ساليرنو - سبتمبر 1943
  • غزو ​​نورماندي - يونيو 1944

في 17 نوفمبر 1944 ، تم تعدينها وإغراقها في ستة قوم من الماء بينما كانت في طريقها من روان ، فرنسا ، إلى بورتلاند ، إنجلترا. تم شطبها من قائمة البحرية في 22 ديسمبر 1944.

حصل LST-6 على ثلاث نجوم معركة لخدمة الحرب العالمية الثانية.

تم وضع LST-7 في 17 يوليو 1942 في بيتسبرغ ، بنسلفانيا ، من قبل شركة Dravo Corp. التي تم إطلاقها في 31 أكتوبر 1942 برعاية السيدة آنا مارفن ، وتم تكليفها في 2 مارس 1943.

خلال الحرب العالمية الثانية ، تم تعيين LST-7 في المسرح الأوروبي وشارك في العمليات التالية:

  • احتلال صقلية - يوليو 1943
  • هبوط ساليرنو - سبتمبر 1943
  • غزو ​​نورماندي - يونيو 1944

تم سحب LST-7 من الخدمة في 21 مايو 1946 وتم شطبها من قائمة البحرية في 19 يونيو 1946. وفي 7 أكتوبر 1947 ، تم بيعها إلى السيد L. Lewis Green ، Jr. of Charleston، S.

حصل LST-7 على ثلاث نجوم معركة لخدمة الحرب العالمية الثانية.

تم وضع LST-8 في 26 يوليو 1942 في بيتسبرغ بنسلفانيا ، من قبل شركة Dravo Corp. التي تم إطلاقها في 29 أكتوبر 1942 برعاية السيدة آن إتش جونستون ، وتم نقلها إلى المملكة المتحدة في 22 مارس 1943.

تم إرجاع LST-8 من المملكة المتحدة في 1 يونيو 1946 وتم حذفها من قائمة البحرية في 3 يوليو 1946. في 5 ديسمبر 1947 ، تم بيعها إلى بوسي ، الفلبين.

تم وضع LST-9 في 9 أغسطس 1942 في بيتسبرغ بنسلفانيا ، من قبل شركة Dravo Corp. التي تم إطلاقها في 14 نوفمبر 1942 برعاية الآنسة كاثرين موكسين ، وتم نقلها إلى المملكة المتحدة في 19 مارس 1943. أعيد LST-9 إلى الولايات المتحدة بحرية الولايات في 1 يونيو 1946 وتم شطبها من قائمة البحرية في 3 يوليو 1946. في 5 سبتمبر 1948 ، بيعت إلى بوسي الفلبين.

LST-10

أعيد تصميم LST-10 ARL-1 وسمي Achelous (qv) في 13 يناير 1943.

LST-11

تم وضع LST-11 في 8 أغسطس 1942 في بيتسبرغ ، بنسلفانيا ، من قبل شركة Dravo Corp. ، التي تم إطلاقها في 18 نوفمبر 1942 ، برعاية الآنسة فيرجينيا فاولر ، وتم نقلها إلى المملكة المتحدة في 22 مارس 1943

أعيدت LST-11 إلى البحرية الأمريكية في 13 مايو 1946 وتم حذفها من قائمة البحرية في 5 يونيو 1946. وفي 5 ديسمبر 1947 ، تم بيعها إلى بوسي بالفلبين.

LST-12

تم وضع LST-12 في 16 أغسطس 1942 في بيتسبرغ ، بنسلفانيا ، من قبل شركة Dravo Corp. ، التي بدأت في 7 ديسمبر 1942 برعاية السيدة جوزيف فاي وتم نقلها إلى المملكة المتحدة في 25 مارس 1943.

تم إرجاع LST-12 إلى البحرية الأمريكية في 5 يناير 1946 وتم حذفها من قائمة البحرية في 20 مارس 1946. وفي 11 سبتمبر 1947 ، تم بيعها لشركة Washburn Wire Co. ، Philipsdale ، R.I. ، لتخريدها.

LST-13

تم وضع LST-13 في 1 سبتمبر 1942 في بيتسبرغ ، بنسلفانيا .. تم إطلاق شركة Dravo Corp. في 1 يناير 1943 ، برعاية السيدة جان أ.براكمان وتم نقلها إلى المملكة المتحدة في 3 أبريل 1943.

أعيدت LST-13 إلى البحرية الأمريكية في 27 فبراير 1946 وتم حذفها من قائمة البحرية في 5 يونيو 1946. وفي 14 أكتوبر 1947 ، تم بيعها لشركة Luria Brothers and Co. ، Inc. ، فيلادلفيا ، بنسلفانيا ، للتخريد.

LST-14

أعيد تصميم LST-14 AGP-5 وأطلق عليه اسم Varuna (qv) في 25 يناير 1943.

LST-15

أعيد تصميم LST-15 ARB-3 وأطلق عليه اسم Phaon (qv) في 25 يناير 1943.

LST-16

تم وضع LST-16 في 1 سبتمبر 1942 في ويلمنجتون ، ديل. ، من قبل شركة Dravo Corp. ، التي تم إطلاقها في 19 ديسمبر 1942 برعاية السيدة Lois M. Alexander وتم تكليفها في 17 مارس 1943.

خلال الحرب العالمية الثانية ، تم تعيين LST-16 في المسرح الأوروبي وشارك في العمليات التالية:

  • احتلال شمال إفريقيا:
    (أ) العمليات التونسية جويلية 1943
  • احتلال صقلية سبتمبر 1943
  • هبوط ساليرنو - سبتمبر 1943
  • عمليات الساحل الغربي لإيطاليا:
    (أ) عمليات إنزال Anzio-Nettuno المتقدمة - يناير وفبراير 1944
  • غزو ​​نورماندي - يونيو 1944

بعد الحرب ، قامت LST-16 بواجب الاحتلال في الشرق الأقصى في سبتمبر ونوفمبر 1945. وقد تم سحبها من الخدمة في 8 مارس 1946 وتم شطبها من قائمة البحرية في 12 أبريل 1946. في 5 ديسمبر 1947 ، تم بيعها للسفن و شركة معدات الطاقة ، باربر ، نيوجيرسي ، للتخريد.

حصل LST-16 على خمس نجوم معركة لخدمة الحرب العالمية الثانية.

LST-17

تم وضع LST-17 في 21 سبتمبر 1942 في بيتسبرغ ، بنسلفانيا ، من قبل شركة Dravo Corp. ، التي تم إطلاقها في 8 يناير 1943 ، برعاية السيدة Sarah H. في القيادة.

خلال الحرب العالمية الثانية ، تم تعيين LST-17 على المسرح الأوروبي وشارك في العملية التالية:

بعد الحرب ، قامت LST-17 بأداء واجب الاحتلال في الشرق الأقصى بشكل متقطع من سبتمبر حتى ديسمبر 1945. تم إيقاف تشغيلها في 15 يناير 1946. في 15 نوفمبر 1954 ، تم نقلها إلى منطقة القيادة البحرية 13 ، لاستخدامها كهدف متنقل ، وغرقت في 15 أغسطس 1956 بنيران طوربيد.

حصل LST-17 على نجمة معركة واحدة لخدمة الحرب العالمية الثانية.

LST-18

تم وضع LST-18 في 1 أكتوبر 1942 في بيتسبرغ ، بنسلفانيا ، من قبل شركة Dravo Corp. ، التي تم إطلاقها في 15 فبراير 1943 ، برعاية الآنسة روث وات ، وتم تكليفها في 26 أبريل 1943.

خلال الحرب العالمية الثانية ، خدم LST-18 في مسرح آسيا والمحيط الهادئ وشارك في العمليات التالية:

  • مرحلة احتلال Finschhafen لعملية شرق غينيا الجديدة - سبتمبر 1943
  • عملية أرخبيل بسمارك:
    (أ) هبوط كيب غلوستر في بريطانيا الجديدة - ديسمبر 1943 ويناير 1944
    (ب) إنزال جزر الأميرالية - مارس وأبريل 1944
  • عملية هولانديا - أبريل ومايو 1944
  • عمليات غرب غينيا الجديدة:
    (أ) منطقة طوم واكده سرمي مايو 1944
    (ب) جزيرة بياك - يونيو 1944
    (ج) جزيرة نويمفور - يوليو 1944
    (د) كيب سانسابور - يوليو وأغسطس 1944
    (هـ) هبوط Morotai - سبتمبر 1944
  • هبوط ليتي - أكتوبر ونوفمبر 1944
  • هبوط Lingayen في لوزون - يناير 1945
  • توطيد جنوب الفلبين
    (أ) هبوط جزيرة بالاوان - مارس 1945
    (ب) هبوط جزر فيسايان - مارس وأبريل 1945

بعد الحرب ، أدت LST-18 واجب الاحتلال في الشرق الأقصى حتى أوائل نوفمبر 1945. عادت إلى الولايات المتحدة وتم إيقاف تشغيلها في 3 أبريل 1946. تم شطبها من قائمة البحرية في 17 أبريل 1946 وتم بيعها إلى Suwannee شركة Fruit & amp Steamship Co. ، من جاكسونفيل ، فلوريدا ، في 31 أكتوبر 1946 للتحويل إلى خدمة التاجر

حصل LST-18 على سبعة نجوم معركة لخدمة الحرب العالمية الثانية.

LST-19

تم وضع LST-I9 في 22 أكتوبر 1942 في بيتسبرغ ، بنسلفانيا ، من قبل شركة Dravo Corp. ، التي تم إطلاقها في 11 مارس 1943 ، برعاية السيدة فرانسيس ب.جوت ، بتكليف في 15 مايو 1943 وأعيد تصميم LSTH في 15 سبتمبر 1945.

خلال الحرب العالمية الثانية ، تم تعيين LST-19 في مسرح آسيا والمحيط الهادئ وشارك في العمليات التالية:

  • عملية جزر جيلبرت - نوفمبر وديسمبر 1943
  • عملية ماريانا:
    (أ) الاستيلاء على سايبان - يونيو ويوليو 1944 واحتلالها
  • الاستيلاء على تينيان والاحتلال - يوليو 1944
  • عمليات جزر كارولين الغربية:
    (أ) الاستيلاء على جزر بالاو الجنوبية واحتلالها - أيلول / سبتمبر وتشرين الأول / أكتوبر 1944

بعد الحرب ، أدت LST-I9 واجب الاحتلال في الشرق الأقصى في أكتوبر وديسمبر 1945 ، وسحب من الخدمة في 20 مارس 1946 وتم استبعادها من قائمة البحرية في 1 مايو 1946. في 5 ديسمبر 1947 ، تم بيعها إلى السفن والقوة شركة المعدات ، باربر ، نيوجيرسي ، للتخريد.

حصل LST-19 على أربع نجوم معركة لخدمة الحرب العالمية الثانية.

LST-20

تم وضع LST-20 في 5 أكتوبر 1942 في بيتسبرغ ، بنسلفانيا ، من قبل شركة Dravo Corp. التي تم إطلاقها في 15 فبراير 1943 برعاية الآنسة آن بي سيلفستر ، وتم تكليفها في 14 مايو 1943.

خلال الحرب العالمية الثانية ، خدم LST-20 في مسرح آسيا والمحيط الهادئ وشارك في العمليات التالية:

  • عملية جزر جيلبرت - نوفمبر وديسمبر 1943
  • هبوط ليتي - أكتوبر 1944
  • هبوط Lingayen في لوزون - يناير 1945
  • عملية Okinawa Gunto:
    (أ) الاعتداء على أوكيناوا جونتو واحتلالها - أبريل 1945

بعد الحرب ، أدت LST-20 واجب الاحتلال في الشرق الأقصى حتى أوائل نوفمبر 1945. عادت إلى الولايات المتحدة وتم إيقاف تشغيلها في 3 أبريل 1946. تم طردها من قائمة البحرية في 19 يونيو 1946 وتم نقلها إلى البحرية الإدارة في 8 أكتوبر 1947 للتخلص منها عن طريق التخريد.

حصل LST-20 على أربعة نجوم معركة لخدمة الحرب العالمية الثانية.

LST-21

تم وضع LST-21 في 25 سبتمبر 1942 في ويلمنجتون ، ديل. ، من قبل شركة Dravo Corp. التي تم إطلاقها في 18 فبراير 1943 ، برعاية السيدة Lillian M. Lloyd وتم تكليفها في 14 أبريل 1943.

تم تعيين سفينة إنزال الدبابات إلى المسرح الأوروبي وشاركت في غزو نورماندي في يونيو 1944.

عند عودتها إلى الولايات المتحدة ، خرجت السفينة من الخدمة في 25 يناير 1946 وقُطعت من قائمة البحرية في 19 يونيو 1946. تم بيعها إلى لويس فيلدمان ، من فلاشينج ، نيويورك ، في 12 مارس 1948 ثم ألغيت لاحقًا.

حصل LST-21 على نجمة معركة واحدة لخدمة الحرب العالمية الثانية.

LST-22

تم وضع LST-22 في 5 نوفمبر 1942 في بيتسبرغ ، بنسلفانيا ، من قبل شركة Dravo Corp. ، الذي تم إطلاقه في 29 مارس 1943 برعاية السيدة WA Barnes ، وتم تكليفه في 29 مايو 1943 ، الملازم LN Ditlefsen ، USCG ، في القيادة .

خلال الحرب العالمية الثانية ، خدم LST-22 في مسرح آسيا والمحيط الهادئ وشارك في العمليات التالية:

  • عملية شرق غينيا الجديدة:
    (أ) احتلال صيدور - كانون الثاني وشباط 1944
  • عملية أرخبيل بسمارك:
    (أ) كيب جلوستر ، بريطانيا الجديدة - ديسمبر 1943 ، يناير وفبراير 1944
    (ب) إنزال جزر الأميرالية - مارس وأبريل 1944
  • عملية هولانديا - أبريل ومايو 1944
  • عمليات غرب غينيا الجديدة:
    (أ) عملية منطقة طوم واكده سرمي - أيار 1944
    (ب) عملية جزيرة بياك - مايو ويونيو 1944
    (ج) عملية جزيرة نويمفور - يوليو 1944
    (د) عملية كيب سانسابور - يوليو وأغسطس 1944
    (هـ) هبوط Morotai - سبتمبر 1944
  • هبوط ليتي - أكتوبر ونوفمبر 1944
  • هبوط Lingayen في لوزون - يناير 1945

عادت LST-22 إلى الولايات المتحدة وتم الاستغناء عنها في 1 أبريل 1946. تم استبعادها من قائمة البحرية في 17 أبريل 1946 وتم بيعها لشركة MingSung Industrial Co.، Ltd. ، شنغهاي ، الصين ، في 3 فبراير 1947 لتكون تم تحويلها لخدمة التاجر.

حصل LST-22 على ستة نجوم معركة لخدمة الحرب العالمية الثانية.

LST-23

تم وضع LST-23 في 27 أكتوبر 1942 في بيتسبرغ ، بنسلفانيا ، من قبل شركة Dravo Corp. ، الذي تم إطلاقه في 13 مارس 1942 برعاية السيدة ماري إتش ميلر وتم تكليفه في 22 مايو 1943.

خلال الحرب العالمية الثانية ، خدم LST-23 في مسرح آسيا والمحيط الهادئ وشارك في العمليات التالية:

  • عملية جزر جيلبرت - نوفمبر وديسمبر 1943
  • عملية جزر مارشال:
    (أ) احتلال Kwajalein و Majuro Atolls - فبراير 1944
  • عملية ماريانا:
    (ب) الاستيلاء على سايبان - يونيو ويوليو / تموز 1944 واحتلالها
  • الاستيلاء على تينيان والاحتلال - يوليو 1944
  • عملية جزر كارولين الغربية:
    (أ) الاستيلاء على جزر بالاو الجنوبية واحتلالها - أيلول / سبتمبر وتشرين الأول / أكتوبر 1944
  • هبوط Lingayen في لوزون - يناير 1945

في 15 سبتمبر 1945 ، تم إعادة تعيينها LSTH. مباشرة بعد الحرب ، قامت LSTH-23 بواجب الاحتلال في الشرق الأقصى حتى أوائل ديسمبر 1945. عادت إلى الولايات المتحدة وتم إيقاف تشغيلها في 24 مايو 1946. تم شطبها من قائمة البحرية في 3 يوليو 1946 وتم بيعها إلى Kaiser Co.، Inc. سياتل ، واشنطن ، في 6 أبريل 1948 لتخريدها.

حصل LSTH-23 على ستة نجوم معركة لخدمة الحرب العالمية الثانية باسم LST-23.

LST-24

تم وضع LST-24 في 19 نوفمبر 1942 في بيتسبرغ ، بنسلفانيا ، من قبل شركة Dravo Corp. ، التي تم إطلاقها في 17 أبريل 1943 ، برعاية السيدة مارغريت إي.ديفيس وتم تكليفها في 14 يونيو 1943

خلال الحرب العالمية الثانية ، تم تعيين LST-24 في مسرح آسيا والمحيط الهادئ وشارك في العمليات التالية:

  • عملية ماريانا:
    (أ) الاستيلاء على غوام واحتلالها - آب / أغسطس 1944
  • عملية غرب غينيا الجديدة:
    (أ) عمليات الإنزال Morotai - سبتمبر 1944
  • هبوط ليتي - أكتوبر ونوفمبر 1944
  • عملية Okinawa Gunto:
    (أ) الاعتداء على أوكيناوا جونتو واحتلالها - مارس ويونيو 1945

تم إيقاف تشغيل LST-24 في 26 فبراير 1946 وتم حذفها من قائمة البحرية في 5 يونيو 1946 في 23 ديسمبر 1947 ، تم بيعها لشركة Humble Oil & amp Refining Co. ، في هيوستن ، تكساس ، وتم تحويلها لخدمة التاجر.

حصل LST-24 على خمس نجوم معركة لخدمة الحرب العالمية الثانية.

LST-25

تم وضع LST-25 في 12 أكتوبر 1942 في ويلمنجتون ، ديل. ، من قبل شركة Dravo Corp ، التي تم إطلاقها في 9 مارس 1943 برعاية الآنسة دويلي هيمفيل ، وتم تكليفها في 3 مايو 1943 ، الملازم ج.ب. هولمز ، USCG في القيادة.

خلال الحرب العالمية الثانية ، خدم LST-25 في مسارح أوروبا وآسيا والمحيط الهادئ وشارك في العمليات التالية:

  • غزو ​​نورماندي - يونيو 1944
  • عملية Okinawa Gunto:
    (أ) الاعتداء على أوكيناوا جونتو واحتلالها - مايو 1945
  • خدمة الاحتلال البحرية ، آسيا - سبتمبر وأكتوبر 1945 ومارس 1946
  • خدمة الصين - أكتوبر 1945 ومارس 1946

تم سحب LST-25 من الخدمة في 2 أغسطس 1946 وتم شطبها من قائمة البحرية في 8 أكتوبر 1946. في 31 مارس 1948 ، تم بيعها لشركة Kaiser Co.، Inc. سياتل ، واشنطن ، لتخريدها.

حصل LST-25 على نجمتي معركة لخدمة الحرب العالمية الثانية.

LST-26

LST-26 was laid down on 16 November 1942 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp. launched on 31 March 1943 sponsored by Mrs. Mathilda B. Coulter and commissioned on 7 June 1943.

During World War II, LST-26 served in the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the following operations:

  • Bismarck Archipelago operation:
    (a) Cape Gloucester, New Britain-December 1943 and January 1944
  • Hollandia operation-April and May 1944
  • Western New Guinea operations:
    (a) Toem-Wakde-Sarmi area operation-May 1944
    (b) Biak Island operation-May and June 1944
    (c) Noemfoor Island operation-July 1944
    (d) Cape Sansapor operation-July and August 1944
    (e) Morotai landings-September 1944
  • Leyte landings-October and November 1944
  • Consolidation of the southern Philippines:
    (a) Mindanao Island landings-March 1945

She saw service in China from 3 to 10 October 1945.

Following the war, LST-26 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early November 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 1 April 1946. She was struck from the Navy list on 8 May 1946 and was sold to Arctic Circle Exploration, Seattle, Wash., on 17 June 1946 to be converted for merchant service.

LST-26 earned five battle stars for World War II service.

LST-27

LST-27 was laid down on 10 December 1942 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Iaunched on 27 April 1943 sponsored by Mrs. R. R. Creed and commissioned on 25 June 1943.

During World War II, LST-27 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:

LST-27 was decommissioned on 9 November 1945 and was struck from the Navy list on 28 November 1945. On 15 December 1947, she was sold to the Rhode Island Navigation Co., of Newport, R.I., for scrapping.

LST-27 earned two battle stars for World War II service.

LST-28

LST-28 was laid down on 8 December 1942 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp. launched on 19 April 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Michael Torick and commissioned on 19 June 1943.

During World War II, LST-28 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:

LST-28 was decommissioned on 16 August 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 29 October 1946. On 19 May 1948, she was sold to George H. Nutman, of Brooklyn, N.Y., for scrapping.

LST-28 earned two battle stars for World War II service.

LST-29

LST-29 was laid down on 8 January 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Iaunched on 17 May 1943, sponsored by Mrs. C. F. Lockton and commissioned on 10 July 1943.

During World War II, LST-29 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

  • Gilbert Islands operation-November and December 1943
  • Marshall Islands operation:
    (a) Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls-January and February 1944
    (b) Occupation of Eniwetok Atoll-February and March 1944
  • Marianas operation:
    (a) Capture and occupation of Guam-July and August 1944
  • Okinawa Gunto operation:
    (a) Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto -May 1945

LST-29 was decommissioned on 11 March 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 8 May 1946. On 17 June 1946, she was sold to the Foss Launch & Tug Co., of Seattle, Wash.

LST-29 earned four battle stars for World War II service.

LST-30

LST-30 was laid down on 12 January 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Iaunched on 3 May 1943, sponsored by Mrs. C. B. Jansen and commissioned on 3 July 1943.

During World War II, LST-30 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operation:

LST-30 was decommissioned on 6 March 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 8 May 1946. On 2 April 1947, she was sold to W. Horace Williams Co., of New Orleans, La., and was converted for merchant service.

LST-30 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST-31

LST-31 was laid down on 2 February 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Iaunched on 5 June 1943 sponsored by Mrs. Maurice Endres and commissioned on 21 July 1943.

During World War II, LST-31 served in the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the following operations:

  • Gilbert Islands operation-November and December 1943
  • Marshall Islands operation:
    (a) Occupation of Kwajulein and Majuro Atolls-January and February 1944
    (b) Occupation of Eniwetok Atoll-February and March 1944
  • Marianas operation:
    (a) Capture and occupation of Saipan-June through August 1944
  • Tinian capture and occupation-July and August 1944
  • Okinawa Gunto operation:
    (a) Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto -May 1945

Immediately following the war, LST-31 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early January 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 8 January 1946. On 1 July 1955 LST-31 was named Addison County after a county in Vermont. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 11 August 1955, and she was sunk as a target.

Addison County earned five battle stars for World War II service as LST-31.

LST-32

LST-32 was laid down on 17 February 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Iaunched on 22 May 1943, sponsored by Miss Dorothy M. Manko, and commissioned on 12 July 1943, Lt. Gardner P. Mulloy in command.

During World War II, LST-32 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:

LST-32 was decommissioned in July 1946. She was recommissioned on 7 March 1951. On 1 July 1955, LST-32 was assigned the name Alameda County after a county in California. She was reclassified Alameda County (AVB-1) on 28 August 1957, was decommissioned on 25 June 1962, and was struck from the Navy list that same month. On 20 November 1962, she was transferred to the Italian Navy

Alameda County earned two battle stars for World War II service as LST-32.

LST-33

LST-33 was laid down on 23 February 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp. Launched on 21 June 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Paul J. Walsh, commissioned on 4 August 1943, and transferred to the Greek Navy on 18 August 1943, with which she served through the remainder of World War II. She was sold to the government of Greece in January 1947 and served there as Samos (L-179). She was struck from the Navy list on 23 June 1947.

LST-34

LST-34 was laid down on 15 March 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., launched on 15 June 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Verne C. Cobb, and commissioned on 26 July 1943.

During World War II, LST-34 served in the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the following operations:

  • Gilbert Islands operation-November and December 1943
  • Marshall Islands operation:
    (a) Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls-January and February 1944
    (b) Occupation of Eniwetok Atoll-February and March 1944
  • Marianas operation:
    (a) Capture and occupation of Saipan-June 1944
  • Leyte landings-October and November 1944
  • Lingayen landings on Luzon-January 1945
  • Okinawa Gunto operation
    (a) Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto - May 1945

Following the war, LST-34 performed occupation duty in the Far East from March to November 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 15 November 1946 and transferred to Military Government, Ryukyus. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 23 December 1947. She ran aground in the Far East in January 1949, and her hulk was abandoned.

LST-34 earned six battle stars for World War II service.

LST-35

LST-35 was laid down on 20 March 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Iaunched on 30 June 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Samuel G. Cooper and transferred to the government of Greece on 18 August 1943 with which she served through the remainder of World War II. She was sold to the government of Greece in January 1947 and served there as Chios (L 195). Her name was struck from the Navy list on 23 June 1947.

LST-36

LST-36 was laid down on 21 April 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Iaunched on 10 July 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Franklin Keen, and transferred to the government of Greece on 23 August 1943 with which she served through the remainder of World War II. She was sold to the government of Greece in January 1947 and served there as Lemnos (L-158). Her name was struck from the Navy list on 23 June 1947.

LST-37

LST-S7 was laid down on 1 April 1943 at Pittsburgh Pa., by the Dravo Corp. launched on 5 July 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Jack Domb, and transferred to the government of Greece on 18 August 1943. She ran aground off Bizerte, Tunisia, on 1 June 1944, and sank. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 12 August 1948.

LST-38

LST-38 was laid down on 14 April 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Iaunched on 27 July 1943 sponsored by Miss Bertha Karpinski and commissioned on 3 September 1943.

During World War II, LST-38 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

  • Marshall Islands operation
    (a) Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls-January and February 1944
  • Bismarck Archipelago operation:
    (a) Admiralty Islands landings-March and April 1944
  • Hollandia operation-April 1944
  • Marianas operation:
    (a) Capture and occupation of Guam-July 1944

Following the war, LST-38 was redesignated LSTH-38 on 15 September 1945. She performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-November 1945.

Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 26 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 1 May 1946. On 5 December 1947, she was sold to the Ships and Power Equipment Co., of Barber, N.J., and subsequently scrapped.

LSTH-38 earned four battle stars for World War II service as LST-38.

LST-39

LST-39 was laid down on 23 April 1943 by the Dravo Corp. at Pittsburgh, Pa., Iaunched on 29 July 1943 sponsored by Mrs. L. A. Mertz, and commissioned on 8 September 1943. She was assigned to the Pacific area during World War II but saw no combat action. She sank in the summer of 1944, and she was struck from the Navy list on 18 July 1944. She was later refloated, converted to a spare parts issue barge, and redesignated YF-1079. She served the Navy in that capacity until sometime between July 1945 and January 1946, by which time YF-1079 disappeared from the Navy list.

LST-40

LST-40 was laid down on 3 June 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., launched on 7 August 1943 sponsored by Miss Hilda Sambolt, and commissioned on 15 September 1943.

During World War II, LST-40 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

  • Consolidation of the Solomon Islands:
    (a) Consolidation of southern Solomons- June 1943
  • Marianas operation:
    (a) Capture and occupation of Saipan-June and August 1944
  • Tinian capture and occupation-July 1944
  • Okinawa Gunto operation:
    (a) Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto -May 1945

Following the war, LST-40 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-February 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 18 February 1946. In February 1947, she was transferred to the United States Military Government Korea, as a sale, and was struck from the Navy list on 5 March that same year.

LST-40 earned four battle stars for World War II service.

LST-41

LST-41 was laid down on 24 May 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp. launched on 17 August 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Mary Spisak and commissioned on 24 September 1943, Lt. W. B. Dundon, USNR, in command.

During World War II, LST-41 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

  • Marshall Islands operation:
    (a) Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls-January and February 1944
  • Hollandia operation-April 1944
  • Marianas operation:
    (a) Capture and occupation of Guam-July 1944
  • Western Caroline Islands operation:
    (a) Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands-September and October 1944
  • Luzon operation:
    (a) Lingayen Gulf landing-January 1945

Following the war, LST-41 was redesignated LSTH-41 on 15 September 1945. She performed occupation duty in the Far East until late November 1945.

Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 25 April 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 19 June 1946. On 8 October 1947, she was sold to J. C. Berkwit & Co., of New York City, N.Y.

LSTH-41 earned five battle stars for World War II service as LST-41.

LST-42

LST-42 was laid down on 17 June 1943 at Pittsburgh Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Iaunched on 17 August 1943 sponsored by Mrs. F. M. Leslie, and commissioned on 30 September 1943, Lt. Roy L. Guy in command.

During World War II, LST-42 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

  • Marshall Islands operation:
    (a) Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls-January and February 1944
    (b) Occupation of Eniwetok Atoll-February and March 1944
  • Marianas operation:
    (a) Capture and occupation of Saipan-June and July 1944
  • Tinian capture and occupation July 1944
  • Western Caroline Islands operation:
    (a) Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands-September and October 1944
  • Iwo Jima operation:
    (a) Assault and occupation of Iwo Jima- February and March 1945

Following the war, LST-42 was redesignated LSTH-42 on 15 September 1945. She performed occupation duty in the Far East and service in China until early April 1946.

Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 26 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 25 September 1946. On 26 March 1948 she was sold to the Kaiser Co., Inc., of Seattle, Wash., and subsequently scrapped.

LSTH-42 earned five battle stars for World War II service as LST-42.

LST-43

LST-43 was laid down on 19 June 1943 at Philadelphla, Pa., by the Dravo Corp. launched on 28 August 1943 sponsored by Mrs. C. A. Hill and commissioned on 6 October 1943. She was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater during World War II and participated In the occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls from 31 January to 8 February 1944. On 21 May 1944, she was lost through an accident. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 18 July 1944. She was raised but deemed beyond economical repair and was subsequently sunk by torpedoes in 1945.

LST-43 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST-44

LST-44 was laid down on 7 July 1943 at Pittsburgh Pa., by the Dravo Corp. launched on 11 September 1943 sponsored by Mrs. F. E. Haeberle, and commissioned on 22 October 1943.

During World War II, LST-44 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion from 6 to 25 June 1944. Following the war she performed occupation duty in the Far East anl sernce in China until mid-February 1946.

Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 20 February 1946. In 1947, she was transferred to the United States Army and was destroyed on 23 July 1947, cannibalized and scrapped. On 28 August 1947, her name was struck from the Navy list.

LST-44 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST-45

LST-45 was laid down on 27 June 1943 at Pittsburgh Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Iaunched on 31 August 1943 sponsored by Miss Lois C. Donnelly and commissioned on 15 October 1943.

During World War II, LST-45 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the following operations:

  • Marshall Islands operation:
    (a) Occupation of Kwajelein and Majuro Atolls-January and February 1944
  • Marianas operation:
    (a) Capture and occupation of Saipan-June through August 1944
    (b) Tinian capture and occupation-July and August 1944
  • Okinawa assault-March through June 1945

Following the war, LST-45 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until late October 1945. Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 30 November 1948 and struck from the Navy list on 22 December that same year. On 25 February 1949, she was sold to the Foss Launch & Tug Co., of Seattle, Wash.

LST-45 earned four battle stars for World War II service.

LST-46

LST-46 was laid down on 20 July 1943 at Pittsburgh Pa., by the Dravo Corp. launched on 16 September 1943, sponsored by Mrs. J. J. Edson, Jr. and commissioned on 3 November 1943.

During World War II, she was assigned to the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion from 6 to 25 June 1944 and the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. She was later transferred to the Asiatic-Pacific theater where she took part in the Okinawa assault in June 1945. Following the war, LST-46 performed occupation duty in the Far East and service in China until midMay 1946.

Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 6 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 19 June 1946. On 13 February 1948, she was sold to Bosey, Philippines, and resold to T. Y. Fong on the same date.

LST-46 earned three battle stars for World War II service.

LST-47

LST-47 was laid down on 30 July 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp. launched on 24 September 1943 sponsored by by Mrs. Clarence H. Vant, and commissioned on 8 November 1943.

The tank landing ship was initially assigned to the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion in June 1944 and the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. She was later transferred to the Asiatic-Pacific theater of operations where she took part in the Okinawa assault between 26 and 30 June 1945. Following the war, LST-47 performed occupation duty in the Far East in the fall and winter of 1945 and early January 1946.

Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 11 January 1946 and transferred to the United States Army the same day. She was assigned to the Military Sea Transportation Service on 31 March 1952 and redesignated USNS LST-47. USNS LST-47 was transferred to the Philippine Navy on 13 September 1976.

LST-47 earned three battle stars for World War II service.

LST-48

LST-48 was laid down on 8 August 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp. launched on 2 October 1942 sponsored by Mrs. A. E. Stacey and commissioned on 16 November 1943.

The tank landing ship was initially assigned to the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion between 6 and 25 June 1944 and the invasion of southern France between 15 August and 25 September 1944. She was later transferred to the Asiatic-Pacific theater of operations where she took part in the Okinawa assault between 30 May and 10 June 1945. Following the war, LST-48 performed occupation duty in the Far East during the winter of 1945 and 1946.

Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 8 February 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 5 December 1947. On 27 May 1948 she was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., of Bethiehem, Pa., and subsequently scrapped.

LST-48 earned three battle stars for World War II service.

LST-49

LST-49 was laid down on 17 August 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp. launched on 9 October 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Kathryn Saban and commissioned on 20 November 1943.

The tank landing ship was initially assigned to the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion between 6 and 25 June 1944 and the invasion of southern France between 15 August and 25 September 1944. She was later transferred to the Asiatic-Pacific theater of operations where she took part in the Okinawa assault between 8 and 30 June 1945. Following the war, LST-49 performed occupation duty in the Far East and service in China until mid-March 1946.

Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 11 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July 1946. She was sold to Bosey Philippines, on 4 December 1947.

LST-49 earned three battle stars for World War II service.

LST-50

LST-50 was laid down on 29 August 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Iaunched on 16 October 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Tito Tarquinio and commissioned on 27 November 1943.

The tank landing ship was initially assigned to the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion between 6 and 25 June 1944 and the invasion of southern France between 15 August and 25 September 1944. She was later transferred to the Asiatic-Pacific theater of operations where she took part in the Okinawa assault between 18 and 30 June 1945. Following the war, LST-50 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early February 1946.

Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 6 February 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 8 September 1952. On 14 November 1952, she was redesignated ARB-13 and transferred to Norway as Ellida (A-534). She was returned to the United States on 1 July 1960 but was retransferred to Greece on 16 September 1960, and served with the Greek Navy as Sakipia (A-329).


مرحبا بك في Addison County Vermont History and Genealogy

هدفنا هو مساعدتك على تتبع أسلافك عبر الزمن عن طريق نسخ بيانات الأنساب والتاريخ ووضعها على الإنترنت للاستخدام المجاني لجميع الباحثين.

WE REGRET THAT WE ARE UNABLE TO DO PERSONAL RESEARCH FOR YOU.

We're looking for folks who share our dedication to putting data online and are interested in helping this project be successful. If you are interested in joining our group, view our Volunteer Page for further information and then contact Nancy Piper .

If you are not interested in becoming a host, but do have information to add to our website, email me, Nancy Piper . I will be happy to help your obituaries, news items and other historical data find its new home here at Vermont Trails History and Genealogy.

Past Updates Recent Updates
ديسمبر 2020
Biography: Bennett S. Brown

سبتمبر 2020
Death Notice: Mrs. Harriot Eliza Hawley, Elijah Tyler
News-Fires: Patrick Burgin's Barn Destroyed by Fire

1790 Addison Twp Federal Census - Sorted by Head of Household - Contributed by Jo Ann Scott

1790 Federal Census - Entire Census - Transcribed by Linda Natale التاريخ

Swift's 1859 History Chapter II: County Seats, County Buildings, Courts, Changes of the Judiciary MILITARY

Addison County Military Casualties (WWII Army, Vietnam and Korean war casualties) - Contributed by Tammy Clark


Addison County, Vermont

Addison County is a county located in the state of Vermont. Based on the 2010 census, the population was 36,821. Its shire town is Middlebury.

Etymology - Origin of Addison County Name

The History of Addison County by H.P. Smith, 1886, D. Mason and Co. states that Addison County ". was named in honor of Joseph Addison, the English author. " The Addison family continues to thrive in England and has written us with the information that Joseph lived from 1672 to 1719 and left these words for us: Happiness is something to do, something to love, something to hope for! Addison is buried in Westminster Abby.

التركيبة السكانية:

Addison County History

Addison County was organized 18 Oct 1785 from Rutland County.
County Seat: Middlebury

In 1609, the French explorer Samuel de Champlain entered the 136-mile lake that would bear his name. Before the end of 17th century, a small stone fort was built at Chimney Point near what is now West Addison on Lake Champlain. It was the first settlement in Vermont. The fort was occupied by the French and then the British. During the Revolutionary War, Lake Champlain was the scene of bitter battles and those living in the area were captured or driven away. One such event happened in May of 1775 Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Boys, along with Benedict Arnold rowed across the Lake to captured Fort Ticonderoga from the British.

Iroquois settled in the county before European arrived in 1609. French settlers in Crown Point, New York extended their settlements across Lake Champlain. A few individuals or families came up the lake from Canada and established themselves at Chimney Point in 1730. In 1731, at Cross Point Fort Frederic was erected. In the year 1759, General Amherst occupied Cross Point and British settler's settlers came in. The Battle of Bennington in Bennington, fought on August 16, 1777, brought a turning point for the American independence against British.

Finally, in 1783, peace was declared, settlers began to return and new communities were formed. Addison County was established on October 18, 1795 and encompassed most of the lands in northwestern Vermont bounded by Lake Champlain.

This county was established by act of the Legislature October 18, 1785 at the period of Vermont Republic. In 1791, Vermont joined the federal union after the original thirteen colonies. When Vermont was admitted to the Union in 1791, the size of the County was reduced to its present area with a population of about 6,400 settlers.

الجغرافيا: الأرض والمياه

As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 808 square miles (2,093 km 2 ), of which, 770 square miles (1,995 km 2 ) of it is land and 38 square miles (99 km 2 ) of it (4.72%) is water. The primary stream of the county is Otter Creek, which runs through the county from the south to the north.

Neighboring Counties

Bordering counties are as follows:

  • Chittenden County, Vermont - north
  • Washington County, Vermont - northeast
  • Orange County, Vermont - east
  • Windsor County, Vermont - southeast
  • Rutland County, Vermont - south
  • Washington County, New York - southwest
  • Essex County, New York - west

تعليم

Addison County has the following high schools:

Vergennes Union High School in Vergennes
Mt. Abe Union High School in Bristol
Middlebury Union High School in Middlebury
Middlebury Union Middle School in Middlebury

Addison County is also home to two institutions of higher learning, Middlebury College and the Community College of Vermont, both located in Middlebury


Bridport Genealogy (in Addison County, VT)

NOTE: Additional records that apply to Bridport are also found through the Addison County and Vermont pages.

Bridport Birth Records

Bridport Cemetery Records

Bridport Census Records

Federal Census of 1940, Bridport, Vermont LDS Genealogy

United States Federal Census, 1790-1940 Family Search

Bridport Church Records

Bridport Death Records

Bridport Immigration Records

Bridport Land Records

Bridport Marriage Records

Bridport Newspapers and Obituaries

Bridport Sun 1901-1915 Newspapers.com

Bridport Probate Records

Vermont, Addison County and District Probate Files, 1845-1915 Family Search

Additions or corrections to this page? We welcome your suggestions through our Contact Us page


أديسون

Like the Indians before them, the first white settlers made their homes near rivers and groves of native timber that gave them the fuel and water needed for survival. The first pioneers in what is now Addison Township were Hezekiah Dunklee (also spelled Duncklee) from Hillsborough, New Hampshire, and Mason Smith from Potsdam, New York. They arrived in Chicago September 3, 1833, having traveled by land from Detroit. They left Chicago five days later, and following a northwest trail made the year before by General Winfield Scott’s army through twenty miles of flat, grassy marshland and prairie, they came to a large grove of trees located on the eastern bank of a river, which later became known as Salt Creek. After surveying the land to the west of the river, they returned to the north end of the grove.

On May 25, 1834, Bernhard Joachim Koehler and his family settled east of Dunklee’s Grove on the present site of the River Forest Country Club. On that same day the Friedrich Graues settled south of the grove. These two families were the first of a large German influx during the next few years. Others to follow were the Stuenkels, the Krages, the Roter­munds, the Kruses, the Fienes, and the Buchholzes.

Most of the necessities of life were produced on the farms, but often the pioneers had to travel to Chicago to buy other provisions. With no roads through the prairie, travel was difficult. Many walked the eighteen miles to Chicago.The Des Plaines River flooded after heavy rains, and at those times such travel was impossible. Wells were dug by hand, often to a depth of thirty or forty feet, and a windmill was built to pump the water. If there was not enough wind, pumping was done by hand.

In 1839 Dunklee’s Grove became part of Washington Precinct. When township organization was adopted in 1849, Washington Precinct became known as Addison Township.

من 1874 Atlas & History of DuPage County, Illinois.

After the first pioneers settled, other friends and relatives came to claim lands. In 1837 there were thirty families living in the Dunklee’s Grove area. By 1844 there were 200 people living in the vicinity. Gradually businesses were established, such as a steam grist mill, a general store, a cobbler’s shop and a blacksmith shop. In 1867 the Heidemann Mill was constructed in Addison to serve the residents who had been taking their grain to surrounding communities to be ground.

By 1853 state laws enabled school districts to be formed, and District 4 came into being with the building of its first public school in 1858. Peter Nikel was the teacher. The building was located on the southwest corner of Addison and Army Trail roads. Today it is part of the Edward Green home. The German population of Addison Township formed a church in 1838 which was called the German United Reformed Lutheran Congregation of Dunklee’s Grove. In 1849 the first church school building was erected in Addison, near the corner of Army Trail Road and May Street.

In 1864 the Evangelical Lutheran Teachers’ Seminary was built in Addison to train teachers for the Lutheran school system. Their lecture hall, which opened in 1885, included a chapel, and it was here that the residents of Addison worshipped from 1893-1906. In 1906 the Lutheran congregation built the St. Paul Church along Army Trail Road near Lake Street.

In 1874 the Evangelical Lutheran Orphan Home was built to “raise, train, and educate orphans, half orphans and other children entrusted to its care.” All children from the Orphan Home who were of school age went to St. Paul’s Christian Day School. After graduation from the eighth grade, the girls would remain in the Home for work and future training. The boys were placed on farms, truck farms or in greenhouses to work.

In 1884 the village of Addison became incorporated. The population at the time was 400. The first president was Henry Buchholz, who served in that position from 1884 to 1891. In 1890 five Addison men formed the Addison Railroad Company, Inc. These were William Leeseberg, Louis Stuenkel, Edward Rotermund, Professor Johann Backhaus, and H. Z. Zuttermeister. Stock capital amounted to $5,000. A charter was issued on July 16, 1890, for the right to a stretch of land from today’s North Avenue into Addison to build a railroad track. In agreement was made with the Illinois Central Railroad officials to provide the railroad bed and equipment and to maintain and operate the railroad for fifty years from that date. The cost of the whole right-of-way was $16,488.90. The first train came to Addison for the Orphan Home Picnic on September 12, 1890.

Illinois Central Train in Addison on “Orphan Home Festival Day.” Courtesy Historical Museum of Addison.

Telephone service became available in 1895. Addison’s first bank, the Addison State Bank, opened in 1902. In 1912 the Public Service Company of Northern Illinois brought in light and power lines. Electric street lights burned in Addison for the first time on February 1 That same year the Western United Gas and Electric Company brought gas lines into the area.

In 1913 the Lutheran Teachers’ Seminary moved out of Addison to River Forest, where it is now known as Concordia College. The Seminary had been a vital part of Addison’s history for almost fifty years. The Seminary buildings were purchased by the Chicago City Mission Society as a home for dependent children who had had little opportunity for moral, mental or physical development. The children, who were referred by the juvenile courts, were moved from Chicago to Addison in 1916. This became known as the Addison Manual Training School for Boys and the Industrial School for Girls, known generally as the Kinderheim.

Illustrations by Vivian Krentz. Graphics by Ron Carringi.

Street improvements began in the late 19th century. During the 1920s roadways were improved and the automobile made its appearance. The former muddy roads and dusty trails gave way to gravel and concrete roads, and the population patterns began changing. With better routes and the railroad, people were building their homes along the roads.

Two lanes of Lake Street were paved in 1922. A narrow gauge railroad was built along Lake Street to the quarry in Elmhurst to bring gravel and cement to the site. When the roadwork was completed, these tracks were removed. Because of the desire to thoroughly modernize the town, a water system was installed in 1924.

Also, by 1924 the Kinderheim had outgrown the structures which had housed the Seminary, and the building was torn down to make room for a new two-story brick building to house the young people of Kinderheim. This was completed in 1925. Today that structure serves as the municipal building and houses the police department.

Plass Garage. Arthur Krage, George Rathje, George Plass, Warren Web stand before the Ford Agency in 1925. Courtesy Historical Museum of Addison.

Increased traffic along Lake Street prompted the widening of the road in 1930 to forty feet all the way from Cook County line to Ontario­ville, a distance of 12’h miles, and the constructing of a three-span bridge over Salt Creek at Lake Street. Addison was served by the Marigold Bus Line, which came from Chicago every hour on the hour. It followed the same route that had been used in 1837 by the Frink and Walker Line on its way toward Galena, these stage coaches having stopped for a change of horses in Addison.

During the 1930s Addison, as well as the rest of the country, was plunged into the Great Depression. In Addison the bank was forced to close, although in 1933 enough money was raised (between $8,000 and $9,000) to meet legal requirements, and the bank was again able to open for business. The residents of Addison were able to weather the lean years by raising food for their tables, and by taking any job, no matter how small the pay.

The years of World War II brought prosperity once again to the community. Again the men of Addison served proudly in all the services. There were 86 of them in the war. Miraculously, all of them returned safely. Among the Addison residents who had been taken prisoner were Lester Rotermund in Germany, and William Stuenkel in Italy. There were two casualties among those who came from the area outside of Addison: Wilbur Backhaus, who was killed in the Battle of the Bulge and Ernst Ellerbruch who was killed in Sicily.

When World War II ended and the servicemen began returning from overseas, a housing shortage developed. The “G. I. Bill” gave young families the opportunity to purchase homes, and the “baby boom” of the post-war years brought many new residents to Chicago’s suburbs. The population in 1950 was 823. By 1963 it had reached 13,272. Generating a marked increase in village revenue, this growth affected the construction industry and also created additional demands for village services. Schools were soon unable to accommodate the large number of young children, and population projections indicated a need for future expansion of the school system.

School District 4 constructed a building in a second location in 1957, and in that same year St. Joseph Catholic Parish also opened a grade school. From that date, when Fullerton School was built, until 1972 the number increased to nine public grade schools and one junior high school.

In 1965 a second Catholic grade school, St. Philip the Apostle, was built. In 1966 there were two secondary schools built, Addison Trail High School and Driscoll Catholic High School.

Additional religious facilities were added to serve the increased population. Originally most of the residents had been German Lutherans, and the few Catholic families attended church in Elmhurst. As the number of families increased, so did the diversity of faiths. Between 1954 and 1965 there were seven churches of different denominations built.

The “G. I. Bill” was also used by many of the returning servicemen after World War II. Addison established an industrial park with a railroad line that ran into the area. Highways were being improved, and the short distance from O’Hare Airport was an attraction to many manufacturers who built in the park. These additional plants, in turn, brought more people to Addison to live. Many of the farmers surrounding Addison began to sell their farms as property values rose and their taxes increased accordingly.

Prior to 1950 there were few parks and playgrounds in Addison however, as developers subdivided the land, they were encouraged by village officials to set aside areas in each subdivision to be used as parks. In 1958 the Central Park Committee was formed. This was a volunteer group of homeowners who helped establish and maintain parks. The Addison Recreation Club, another volunteer group, began working with Addison’s youth in the early 1950s. In 1965 Addison voters approved a referendum to establish a park district, which now owns over 200 acres of land at eighteen sites and offers activities for residents of all ages, from tots to senior citizens.

In 1962 a public library was established in the municipal building. In 1968 a new building was constructed along Lake Street at Kennedy Drive to house the Addison Public Library.

The banking industry also grew along with the population. Before 1950 the Addison State Bank was the only bank in Addison. As population and businesses increased, the need for additional financial services brought the opening of six other banks or saving and loan associations to the village.

The building industry that began flourishing after World War II concentrated on single-family homes in Addison. More recently developers have obtained permits to build multiple family homes, apartments, townhouses and condominiums. Decreasing availability of land and rising construction costs have contributed to this trend. Today shopping centers have replaced the earlier “general stores.” Shops and restaurants have opened specializing in ethnic goods for an increasingly diverse population.

Also, the schools, with an increased enrollment of children from families new to this country, have had to include bilingual courses in their curriculum. High technology advances have caused many services and business establishments to turn to computers and new training programs for their personnel. Addison’s special education organization, the Ray Graham Association, its Lutherbrook (successor to the Evangelical Lutheran Orphan Home), its assistance programs through the Community Switchboard, its support for cultural growth through the arts programs are all a part of Addison’s response to varying needs.

To summarize, during the past 150 years Addison has grown from a few hardy settlers planting their crops to a town of 30,000 citizens engaged in a multitude of occupations. The quiet hamlet where everyone knew everyone else has given place to a suburb bustling with activity. Today, as it has been throughout its history, Addison is a caring community.

Pearl Morris and Vivian Krentz are co-authors of AddisonVillage of Friendship, the community’s centennial book.


شاهد الفيديو: أول تسجيل صوتي في التاريخ