ورسستر ونورويتش - التاريخ

ورسستر ونورويتش - التاريخ


آل ساوثويك: عيد الاستقلال ومكانة ورسستر في التاريخ

في 3 يوليو 1776 ، كتب جون آدامز رسالة إلى زوجته أبيجيل حول التصويت الهام للاستقلال الذي أجراه الكونجرس القاري في اليوم السابق.

سيكون اليوم الثاني من تموز (يوليو) 1776 ، أكثر أيام إيبوتشا التي لا تنسى في تاريخ أمريكا. أنا على استعداد للاعتقاد بأنه سيتم الاحتفال به ، من خلال تخلف الأجيال ، على أنه عيد ميلاد عظيم. يجب أن يتم الاحتفال به باعتباره يوم الخلاص من خلال أعمال العبادة الجليلة لله سبحانه وتعالى. يجب أن يتم الاحتفال به مع Pomp and Parade ، مع العروض والألعاب والرياضة والبنادق والأجراس والنيران والإضاءة من أحد أطراف هذه القارة إلى الطرف الآخر من هذا الوقت إلى الأبد. قد تعتقد أنني انتقلت بحماسة لكنني لست كذلك. إنني أدرك جيدًا الكد والدم والكنز الذي سيكلفنا الحفاظ على هذا الإعلان ودعم هذه الدول والدفاع عنها. ومع ذلك ، من خلال الظلام يمكنني رؤية أشعة الضوء الساحر والمجد. أستطيع أن أرى أن النهاية تستحق كل الوسائل. وسوف تنتصر تلك الأجيال القادمة في صفقة الأيام تلك. & rdquo

على الرغم من أن آدامز ذكر 2 يوليو باعتباره التاريخ الحاسم ، فقد قرر المؤرخون أن الكونجرس قد صدق بالفعل على الوثيقة بعد يومين ، في 4 يوليو. لكن رسالته البليغة تلخص بالتأكيد معنى وأهمية يوم الاستقلال وكذلك أي شيء مكتوب منذ ذلك الحين.

سارع الأمريكيون إلى فهم أن يوم الاستقلال كان حدثًا كبيرًا بالفعل. في 18 يوليو 1777 ، نشرت صحيفة فيرجينيا جازيت تقريراً عن الاحتفالات في فيلادلفيا وندش & ldquowith مظهراً من الفرح والاحتفال ، بما في ذلك إطلاق المدافع ودق أجراس الكنائس التي ربما كانت أول احتفال بالإعلان على الإطلاق.

لم يكن ووستر بعيدًا عن الركب. كان هذا المجتمع مهتمًا جدًا بالإعلان. كانت القراءة العامة الأولى للوثيقة الشهيرة في الولاية هنا في ووستر بعد أسبوع أو نحو ذلك من 4 يوليو 1776 ، عندما فتح أشعيا توماس ، مدير مكتب البريد في ووستر ، حزمة موجهة إلى بوسطن واكتشف نسخة من الإعلان. ثم قرأها على تجمع اجتمع أمام الكنيسة الأولى على العام ، حول المكان الذي يقف فيه مجلس المدينة الآن.

كان توماس وطنيًا متحمسًا ومروجًا لا يكل لاستقلال المستعمرات. ربما كان أحد منظمي احتفال Worcester & rsquos الأول بالرابع ، في 8 يوليو 1779. جاسوس ماساتشوستس ، الذي يملكه ويحرره توماس ، قدم وصفًا كاملاً لهذه المناسبة:

بدأ صباح ذلك اليوم بدق الأجراس وإطلاق مدفع وعرض العلم القاري. في الساعة 12 و rsquoclock ، تم إطلاق 13 مدفعًا. في المساء ، أُضيئت قاعة المحكمة ، وأُطلق 13 صاروخًا وعرض ألعاب نارية أخرى ، وهو ما يرضي كثيرًا من الأصدقاء المحترمين والمخلصين للقضية المشتركة لأمتنا ، الذين تجمعوا في دار القضاء من هذه المدينة والبلدات المجاورة. تم تقديم التهاني المتبادلة وشرب عدد من الخبز المحمص المناسبة لهذه المناسبة. & rdquo

من الجدير بالذكر أن هذا الاحتفال بالحرية الأمريكية حدث بينما كانت الحرب لا تزال مستعرة. تم طرد القوات البريطانية من بوسطن ، لكن البريطانيين سيطروا على نيويورك وكان القتال يدور في جورجيا وكارولينا الجنوبية. كان استسلام اللورد كورنواليس و rsquo في يوركتاون أكثر من عامين في المستقبل. كان الاحتفال باستقلال الولايات المتحدة في عام 1779 دليلاً رائعًا على الثقة ، ناهيك عن الوقاحة.

كان الجاسوس مبتهجًا: & ldquo من دواعي سرورنا أن نبلغ قرائنا أن روح الوطنية تنتعش الآن. لا شيء الآن يريد أن يكمل الخلاص السياسي لهذا البلد. & rdquo

في السنوات اللاحقة ، بعد تشكيل الحكومة الفيدرالية ، أصبحت احتفالات الرابع من يوليو حزبية. كانت هناك احتفالات فيدرالية واحتفالات للجمهوريين (ديموقراطيين) ، ولكل منها طقوسها التي تثير ضجة سياسية على حساب المجموعة المنافسة. قدم الخطباء مثل دانيال ويبستر شرحًا قويًا حول القضايا الوطنية ، غالبًا ما يكون مطولًا - لمدة ساعة أو ساعتين أحيانًا.

أصبح الرابع عطلة وطنية حقًا بعد الحرب الأهلية ، عندما بدأ الشعب الأمريكي في إعادة تعريف الاتحاد ، لذلك تم إنقاذه بصعوبة من الانقسام. أظهر الاحتفال عام 1872 هنا في ووستر الروح الجديدة في جميع تجاوزاتها النارية. في منتصف الليل ، ذكرت التلغرام أن آلاف الأطفال وكبار السن خرجوا للدخول في الرابع مع كل الضوضاء التي يمكن أن تحدث. واستمر الهلع ساعة ثم استمر الغطاء حتى ضوء النهار.

& ldquo جلب الصباح المزيد من الإثارة. في الساعة 8 صباحًا ، أطلقت وحدة البطارية B 22 طلقة تحية من فوق بيل هيل. ومنذ ذلك الحين ، هزت المدينة بوابل من الألعاب النارية والطوربيدات. وبالمثل ، تم إحياء مدن المقاطعات بالانفجارات ، ولم تكن جميعها آمنة

تضمنت الأحداث هنا في ووستر خمسة فرق ، بما في ذلك & ldquoStudelfunk Flunkies & rdquo و & ldquoThe Lowland Cadets. & rdquo تضمن العرض & ldquoLt. هاردتاك ، الرائد ساسافراس بونز ، الجراح والنقيب سلايمن. & rdquo لا يسعنا إلا أن نأمل أن يكونوا جميعًا على صواب سياسيًا.

تم تنسيق احتفالات المدينة و rsquos بواسطة City Clerk Charles Benchley ، والد الممثل الكوميدي روبرت Benchley والجد الأكبر لبيتر Benchley ، كاتب & ldquoJaws. & rdquo من المفترض أن يكون الجميع قد قضوا وقتًا ممتعًا.

ظهر هذا العمود لأول مرة في Telegram & Gazette في 30 حزيران (يونيو) 2016.


ورسستر ونورويتش - التاريخ


لا تمثل المجموعة التالية من الصور (انقر هنا) سوى عدد قليل من العناصر التي تهم المؤرخين والمحافظين. للحصول على فرصة لدراسة المجموعة بأكملها بشكل مباشر ، اتصل بـ Linda Davis ، من جمعية Shrewsbury التاريخية.

في عام 1880 ، بنى ماثيو جون ويتال مطحنة في ووستر في شارع ساوثبريدج لتصنيع السجاد والبسط الفاخر. عاشت عائلة ويتال في مقر إقامتها في المدينة حتى تم بناء عقار صيفي جورجية بيضاء كبيرة في عام 1912. بالنسبة لهذا المنزل ، باع تشارلز أ. تتألف من سبع قطع ممتلكات منفصلة.

جونيبر هول ، كما أطلق السيد ويتال على ممتلكاته في شروزبري ، أصبحت أ
معلم لأميال عديدة حولها. أقيمت واحدة من أفضل المناظر في وسط المدينة
ماساتشوستس بسبب موقعها على أعلى نقطة في شروزبري.
يشمل الإطلال على بحيرة كوينسيغاموند ويمتد إلى ما وراء ووستر إلى تلال باكستون وروتلاند إلى الشمال ويمكن رؤية جبل مونادنوك وجبل واتشوست.

كانت جميع الغرف في المنزل المكون من طابقين كبيرة ، خاصة تلك الموجودة في
الطابق الاول. كان سقف قاعة الاستقبال يمتد إلى الطابق الثاني مع شرفة محيطة به. كما يوجد في الطابق الأول مخزن كبير الخدم وغرفة موسيقى وغرفة طعام وغرفة معيشة وغرفة إفطار. كان هناك أربعة مدافئ وأربع غرف نوم وغرفة جلوس كبيرة في الطابق الثاني. غطت الشمس المشرقة ، التي تطل على الحدائق الرسمية ، جميع جوانب المنزل تقريبًا.

كانت البستنة هواية خاصة للسيد والسيدة ويتال. جونيبر هول
أصبحت واحدة من أماكن العرض في مقاطعة وورسيستر ، بتخطيطها للحدائق الرسمية ، وحمام السباحة ، وحدائق "قطف الزهور". كانت الأرض مشهورة ومألوفة لكثير من الناس ، لأنه تم الترحيب بالجمهور لزيارة ورؤية الزهور تتفتح. كان أسبوع الليلك في جونيبر هول أحد الأحداث الرئيسية في الموسم لأولئك الذين كانوا مهتمين بالزهور.

في صيف عام 1922 ، قام نائب الرئيس كالفن كوليدج بزيارة جونيبر هول. في عام 1927 ، صك هذا المعلم الأبيض المؤطر في الأشجار من قبل السيدة ويتال إلى Grand Lodge of Masons of Massachusetts. كانت تتمنى أن يتم استخدام المنزل لتخفيف المعاناة ، تخليداً لذكرى زوجها الذي توفي هناك عام 1922 والذي كان ماسون من الدرجة الثالثة والثلاثين. أصبح الهيكل معروفًا للكثيرين في شروزبري والمنطقة باسم المستشفى الماسوني. تم شراء العقار من قبل بلدة شروزبري في عام 1976 وتم هدم المبنى لاحقًا.

اختفى القصر الآن وكذلك ذكريات العصور المختلفة ولكن الأرض باقية ولا يزال عالمًا ساحرًا. بدلاً من الحدائق الرسمية ، توجد برية ذات جمال هادئ خاص بها. أصبحت قاعة جونيبر الآن ذكرى ، لكن صورة ما زالت قائمة في جوفها على القمة.

الإخوة نوركروس - "بناة محترفون"

بناة منزل شروزبري لماثيو جي ويتال
جونيبر هول
شارع بروسبكت

أسس جيمس وأورلاندو نوركروس شركة Norcross Brothers Construction Company في ووستر بولاية ماساتشوستس ، وأصبحا من أوائل شركات المقاولات العامة في البلاد. عدد المباني المنسوبة إلى شركة نوركروس للإنشاءات كبير. عمل الأخوان بشكل جيد للغاية بين تشييد المبنى وفهم احتياجات المهندس المعماري وتصميماته. لقد حصلوا على لقب "Master Builder" بسبب ذكائهم وإبداعهم وشخصيتهم وحسهم السليم. لقد عملوا أيضًا مع بعض المهندسين المعماريين الأكثر نفوذاً في ذلك الوقت ، مثل هنري هوبسون ريتشاردسون ، بيبودي وستيرنز ، مكيم ، ميد آند أمبير وايت وشيبلي ، روتان وكوليدج (خلفاء إتش إتش ريتشاردسون). قدم الأخوان العديد من براءات اختراع البناء باسمهم (مثل الأعمدة الخرسانية ، وأرضيات الألواح الخرسانية ، والقواطع ، وما إلى ذلك) ومعظمها لا يزال مستخدمًا في عالم البناء اليوم.

نشأت عائلة نوركروس من ولاية مين وانتقلت إلى سالم ، ماساتشوستس حوالي عام 1843. ولد جيمس وأورلاندو في ولاية مين - ولد جيمس أتكينسون نوركروس في كينبيك بولاية مين عام 1831 وأورلاندو ويتني نوركروس ولد في كلينتون بولاية مين عام 1839. كان والداهم جيسي سبرينغر نوركروس ومارجريت ويتني نوركروس. جيسي نوركروس ، نجار عمل في جميع جوانب تجارة البناء المختلفة ، حول قاعدة أعماله من ولاية ماين إلى سالم ، ماساتشوستس لتأسيس موقع أكثر ربحًا لعمله.

سرعان ما أسس جيمس وأورلاندو أعمال المقاولات العامة الخاصة بهما في سوامبسكوت. في وقت لاحق نقلوا قاعدة أعمالهم في عام 1866 إلى ووستر ، ماساتشوستس بعد أن انخرطوا في بناء مدرسة ووستر الثانوية (التي لم تعد قائمة) وكنيسة ليستر. ظلت شركة Norcross Brothers Construction Company في ووستر لبقية حياتها المهنية. بعد الانتهاء بنجاح من تكليفاتهم الأولى في ووستر ، أصبح الأخوان نوركروس مرتبطين في علاقة شبه مستمرة ومربحة للغاية مع مهندس مدرسة ورسيستر الثانوية ، هنري هوبسون ريتشاردسون. أصبح سمو ريتشاردسون أحد أكثر المهندسين المعماريين الأمريكيين تأثيرًا في أواخر القرن التاسع عشر. بعد الارتباط مع H.H. Richardson ، شرعت شركة Norcross Brothers Construction Company في بناء جميع اللجان الرئيسية لريتشاردسون تقريبًا. بعض هذه المباني هي:

كنيسة الثالوث ، بوسطن ، ماساتشوستس
منزل ولاية رود آيلاند
كنيسة القديس يوحنا الأسقفية ، نيويورك
مكتبة نيويورك العامة
على سبيل المثال لا الحصر.

راجع غلاف Norcross للاطلاع على "القائمة الجزئية" للمباني التي بنتها شركة Norcross Brothers Construction Company بإذن من PRESERVATION WORCESTER ، Cedar Street ، Worcester ، MA.
عملت شركة Norcross Brothers Construction Company أيضًا على تجديدات البيت الأبيض ، واشنطن العاصمة ، وإضافة / تجديد منزل فاندربيلت.

بنى الأخوة نوركروس منازلهم الخاصة في زوايا شارعي كليرمونت ووودلاند (يضم كلا المنزلين حاليًا مرافق مركز جامعة كلارك للتكنولوجيا والبيئة والتنمية). باستثناء بعض التغييرات الطفيفة ، معظمها خارجية ، فإن منزلا نوركروس هما صورتان متطابقتان لبعضهما البعض. يقع منزل أورلاندو في 16 شارع كليرمونت وكان منزل جيمس يقع في 18 شارع كليرمونت.

حضر جيمس نوركروس جميع مسؤوليات وواجبات المكتب. لقد كان رجلاً محافظًا ومفصلاً للغاية ، مثقفًا ذاتيًا ومفكرًا لامعًا. امتلك أورلاندو نوركروس روحًا قوية ، وخدم خلال الحرب الأهلية وتعلم جيدًا تجارة النجارة والبناء. وجد الأخوان أيضًا أنه من مصلحتهم شراء وصيانة محاجرهم الخاصة لإنتاج الحجر المستخدم في مبانيهم - الحجر الرملي والحجر الجيري والرخام.

تقاعد جيمس من العمل في عام 1897. كان جيمس قد بنى أيضًا مقر الإقامة الرائع "فيرلون" ، في شارع ماي ستريت ، ووستر ، والذي شغله في يوليو من عام 1895. واصل أورلاندو العمل بمفرده.

مع وفاة هذين الرجلين الرائعين ، توفي جيمس في عام 1903 وتوفي أورلاندو في طريقه إلى العمل عن عمر يناهز الثمانين عامًا في عام 1920 ، كانت شركة نوركروس براذرز للإنشاءات تعاني وتختفي في النهاية.

قدم الأخوان نوركروس مساهمات مهمة للغاية في أعمال المقاولات ، نظرًا لما اشتهروا به من جودة البناء والحرفية والصدق والنزاهة والتنظيم. لقد حققوا تقدمًا هائلاً في التاريخ المعماري والتجاري لعصرهم ، بشكل مستقل ومن خلال ارتباطهم بالمهندسين المعماريين العظماء في عصرهم. يواصل الأخوان نوركروس العيش من خلال التطورات والابتكارات الهائلة التي طوروها ومن خلال الهياكل العديدة التي لا تزال منتشرة في الولايات المتحدة حتى يومنا هذا.

****************************
ومع ذلك ، لماذا هذه المعلومات
على هذه الشهرة والموهوبين
الإخوان مهمون.

ما هو اتصالهم به
شروسبيري.

بنى هؤلاء البناؤون الرائعون والمبدعون والناجحون بشكل كبير المنزل المعروف باسم جونيبر هول للسيد ماثيو جي ويتال في شارع بروسبكت ، هنا في شروزبري. كان الإخوة الذين تربطهم صلات عمل بماثيو ويتال خيارًا أولًا محتملاً. (عمل الأخوان في Whittall Mills وقاموا ببناء كنيسة القديس ماثيو الأسقفية ، في Worcester - كان السيد Whittall عضوًا في الميثاق وممولًا سخيًا للكنيسة). من الواضح أن السيد ويتال قد اتصل بأورلاندو نوركروس لبناء منزله الجديد على مساحة تزيد عن 70 فدانًا في شروزبري.

تم بناء المنزل الجميل والفخم من قبل شركة Norcross للإنشاءات بتكلفة ثمانين ألف دولار (80،000.00 دولار) في عام 1912. كان بمثابة منزل ماثيو وجيرترود ويتال لعدة سنوات. في الذكرى الخامسة لوفاة ماثيو ويتال ، صك جيرترود الملكية على المحفل الكبير للماسونيين في ماساتشوستس لاستخدامها كمنزل تقاعد / نقاهة. أصبح العقار فيما بعد معروفًا في المدينة باسم Masonic Home / Hospital. في عام 1976 ، كان العقار تحت ملكية بلدة شروزبري ، ثم في عام 1979 اتخذت المدينة قرارًا بهدم هذا المنزل.

هذه خسارة تاريخية كبيرة لمدينة شروسبيري عندما تفكر في الاتصالات!

بفضل:
نانسي جونسون - ورقة بحثية
جامعة كلارك - موقع الكتروني
حفظ ورسيستر النشرات
متحف ورسيستر التاريخي - روبن كريستنسن - أمين مكتبة
بولا روز بونومو - مؤلفة "تاريخ كنيسة القديس ماثيو"

ماثيو جيه ويتال
صانع السجاد
مالك شركة ويتول ميلز
العالم
وقاعة العرعر
شارع بروسبكت
شروسبيري

كان ماثيو جي ويتال مهاجرًا بريطانيًا صنع ثروته من صناعة السجاد.

ولد في كيدرمينستر ، إنجلترا ، في 10 مارس 1843. بعد تعليمه ، انتقل إلى بلدة تسمى ستوربورت. هناك ، في سن ال 21 ، تولى ماثيو مسؤولية شركة أعمال السجاد التي يملكها توماس بي ورث. كان السيد وورث مصنعًا معروفًا للسجاد. في هذا المنصب ، علم ماثيو عن العمل وبقي مع الشركة لمدة ست سنوات تقريبًا.

في أكتوبر 1868 ، تزوج ماثيو من إلين ، الابنة الصغرى للراحل هنري باجيت ، في ستوربورت ، إنجلترا.

جاء السيد ويتال وعائلته إلى الولايات المتحدة في عام 1871 وتولى منصب مشرف في شركة Compton Carpet Company في ووستر. في عام 1879 تم حل شركة كومبتون. ثم قرر السيد ويتال أن يجرب يده في التصنيع. استأجر مبنى في جنوب ورسستر (المعروف آنذاك باسم Wicks Mill) وبدأ التصنيع بمفرده. زار موطنه الأصلي في إنجلترا لشراء الآلات اللازمة لمصنعه. اشترى ماثيو الآلات التي تمكنه من تصنيع سجاد ويلتون وبروكسل. في إنجلترا ، اشترى اثني عشر نولًا. بعد حوالي ثلاث سنوات ، مع ازدهار الأعمال التجارية ، اشترى السيد ويتال الأرض وأقام أول مصنع للسجاد. لمدة عشر سنوات تقريبًا بعد أول مبنى له ، واصل ماثيو التوسع في إضافة مبانٍ جديدة على أساس دوري حتى غطت شركته ما يقرب من 200000 قدم مربع من الأرض. في النهاية ، طاحونة Edgeworth لتصنيع خيوط الصوف الصوفي عام 1885 واشترى أيضًا شركة Palmer Carpet في عام 1892. وظفت المطاحن في عام 1910 حوالي 1500 عامل ماهر وكانت المطاحن تدير حوالي 350 سجادًا وبساطًا. لقد كان صاحب عمل مهتمًا وعقد أيضًا فعاليات مثل عروض مينستريل وأيام ميدانية للموظفين. كانت Whittall Mills واحدة من أكبر أرباب العمل في South Worcester وظلت تعمل حتى أواخر الخمسينيات من القرن الماضي. كما أصبحت واحدة من أكبر مصنعي السجاد الفرديين في العالم.

بفضل خبرته وعمليته ومعرفته في صناعة السجاد ، استفاد من كل فكرة جديدة يمكن استخدامها في إنتاج سلع جديدة ومرغوبة. كانت جودة سجاده مطلوبة في جميع أنحاء البلاد. حتى أنه تلقى أمرًا شاملاً لتزويد المباني الحكومية بالسجاد. أثنى الرئيس والسيدة ماكينلي شخصيًا على ماثيو لاختياره السجاد لبعض غرفهم داخل البيت الأبيض. أصبحت مصانع ويتال واحدة من أكبر مصنعي السجاد الفرديين في العالم.

تضم مباني مطحنة South Worcester التابعة له الآن أعمال Rotman's Furniture.

كان السيد ويتال فردًا ليبراليًا ذا عقلية مجتمعية. لقد أخذ اهتمامًا جادًا بمجتمعه. كان مرتبطًا بالعديد من المنظمات: مجلس التجارة ، ورسستر كلوب ، ونادي تاتاسيت كانوي ، وشركة بلاكستون فالي ستريت ريلواي ، وشركة التأمين التعاوني للمصنوعات ، وبنك ادخار الشعب ، وأمين المكتبة العامة ومستشفى المدينة على سبيل المثال لا الحصر. على الرغم من أنه لم يشغل مناصب عامة أبدًا ، إلا أنه كان أيضًا عضوًا في مجلس الحاكم تحت قيادة الحاكم ماكول في 1917/1918 والحاكم كوليدج في 1919/1920.

في هذا الوقت ، كانت ووستر مدينة متنامية حيث كان 25٪ من سكانها في عام 1855 من المولودين في الخارج. مع العديد من المهاجرين الإنجليز ، وكثير منهم من بلدة كيدرمينستر ، مسقط رأس السيد ويتال ، يعملون في مطاحن ويتال ، كان دينهم وتقاليدهم من الوطن جزءًا مهمًا من حياتهم. نظم هؤلاء المهاجرون الإنجليز فرق الكريكيت وكرة القدم الخاصة بهم وناديًا اجتماعيًا باللغة الإنجليزية.

كانت رعايتهم تسمى كنيسة القديس ماثيو الأسقفية وهنا يعبد هؤلاء الناس ويقيمون اجتماعيًا. في ربيع عام 1871 ، تم التعاقد مع السيد O.W Norcross ، من شركة Norcross Brothers Construction Company ، في Worcester ، لبناء الكنيسة الصغيرة. تم فتح هذه الكنيسة للطقوس في يوم القديس ماثيو ، 21 سبتمبر 1871. تم تنظيم الرعية في عام 1874 مع كون ماثيو ج. ويتال عضوًا في الميثاق. بفضل الكرم المالي والتزام ماثيو جي ويتال وعائلته ، يمكن للكنيسة أن تنهض من بداياتها المتواضعة. بدأ بناء مبنى جديد لسانت ماثيو بوضع حجر الأساس في 26 مايو 1894. عمل نوركروس براذرز مع المهندس المعماري ستيفن إيرل في تشييد هذا المبنى الجديد تحت أعين لجنة البناء الساهرة - أحد الأعضاء هو السيد. ماثيو جي ويتال. كانت الكنيسة مدين لها بحوالي 30 ألف دولار مستحقة لشركة نوركروس براذرز والتي تحملتها عائلة ويتال بسخاء. تم انتخاب السيد ويتال حارسًا للكنيسة. كما تم تعيينه لتشكيل لجنة أوقاف الكنيسة. استمر أعضاء أبرشية القديس ماثيو في إقامة روابط قوية مع كنيستهم في كيدرمينستر ، إنجلترا ، كنيسة سانت ماري. كانت هذه رعية الطفولة لعائلة ماثيو ويتال وأبرشية العديد من الآخرين الذين تابعوا صاحب العمل وصديقهم إلى ووستر.

في الزاوية المقابلة من كنيسة سانت ماثيو (عند زاوية شارعي ساوثبريدج وكامبريدج) ، وضع ماثيو ويتال منزله في ورسستر ، هيلسايد. "المنزل له مساحات واسعة ، مصممة بذوق ممتاز وتشكل واحدة من أجمل المساكن وأكثرها جاذبية في المدينة." (ورسيستر عام 1898). قيل أن السيد ويتال بنى مسكنه الفخم في ورسستر على الجانب الآخر من الكنيسة لمراقبة من حضر ومن لم يحضر صلاة الأحد.

توفيت الزوجة الأولى للسيد ويتال ، إيلين ، في نوفمبر من عام 1895 وتركت ابناً وابنة. في عام 1906 ، تزوج ماثيو من جيرترود كلارك ، من أوماها ، نبراسكا. بعد زواجه الثاني ، اختار السيد والسيدة ويتال بناء منزلهما في شروزبري.

في عام 1912 ، قام السيد ويتال وجيرترود بتكليف شركة Norcross Brothers Construction لبناء عقار أبيض كبير على الطراز الجورجي على تل مرتفع في بلدة شروزبري. تم شراء عدة قطع من الأرض لتشكيل ما يقرب من 100 فدان للعقار.
تم تسمية العقار باسم جونيبر هول. أحب Whittall مشاركة العقارات والحدائق الجميلة. رحبوا بالجمهور للحضور والزيارة لمشاهدة مئات الزهور تتفتح. كانت هناك حقول من القزحية البرية ، الوستارية ،
وحدائق لقطف الزهور. استضافوا أحداثًا مثل "Lilac Weekend" التي كانت واحدة من الأحداث الرئيسية في الموسم. عُرفت قاعة جونيبر في ويتال كواحدة من أماكن العرض في مقاطعة وورسيستر بمسبحها العاكس وتخطيطات الحديقة.

كان ماثيو ويتال ميسون من الدرجة 33. عندما توفي ماثيو في عام 1922 ، خصص جيرترود ويتال العريشة في الحدائق له وأعاد تسميتها "حديقة الذكرى الجميلة". استمرت في العيش في العقار حتى عام 1927 ، دفعت بسخاء جونيبر هول وجميع العقارات إلى Grand Lodge of Masons of Massachusetts لمنزل تقاعد ونقاهة تخليداً لذكرى زوجها.

توفي ماثيو ج. ويتال في 31 أكتوبر 1922. شعرت جماعة كنيسة القديس ماثيو بحزن عميق لوفاة السيد ويتال. لقد خدم الكنيسة وساهم بسخاء لما يقرب من خمسين عامًا.

كان السيد ويتال ودودًا ، على الرغم من كرامته. كان رجلاً طيبًا وكريمًا وذكيًا ، اشتهر بنزاهته وصدقه وروح الدعابة. كان محبوبًا من قبل الأصدقاء والزملاء والموظفين والمعارف.

في المرة القادمة التي تقود فيها غربًا من Rt. 290 باتجاه أوبورن ، انظر لأعلى مباشرةً بعد أول مبنى روتمان للأثاث وشاهد اسمه محفورًا على الحجر في المبنى التالي وتذكر أحد أبرز وأنجح أفراد ووستر.

شكرا لك:
بولا روز بونومو
موقع ويب Whittall Masonic Lodge
متحف ورسيستر التاريخي للمساهمة بالمعلومات

من سجل القصاصات الموجود في مجموعة Shrewsbury Historical Society

لتخصيص قاعة جونيبر في 30 مايو

سيتم منح Grand Lodge of Masons of Massachusetts مفاتيح العقار من قبل
السيدة إم جي ويتال.

تمارين ملحوظة في الساعة 3:30 مساءً.

جونيبر هيل (هول) ، شروزبري ، ماساتشوستس ، ملكية Whittall الرائعة التي تبلغ تكلفتها 200000 دولار والتي تم منحها في 29 أكتوبر كأمانة لـ Massachusetts Grand Lodge of Masons ، من قبل السيدة غيرترود (كلارك) ويتال ، أرملة ماثيو جي ويتال ، في ذكرى لها الزوج ، الذي سيتم استخدامه لإغاثة الماسونيين المستحقين والمعوزين ، وأراملهم ومن يعولونهم المقيمين في كومنولث ماساتشوستس ، سيتم تكريسه في اتصال خاص من Grand Lodge الذي سيعقد في المبنى في الساعة 3:30 مساءً ، يوم الذكرى ، في ذلك الوقت ، سيتم تسليم مفاتيح التركة إلى Master and Warders of the Grand Lodge.

تم تحديده في صك الصندوق الاستئماني أنه إذا قرر Grand Lodge أنه إذا لم يكن من المستحسن تشغيل مثل هذه الممتلكات مثل مستشفى أو منزل على النحو الوارد أعلاه ، "عندئذٍ يجب تخصيص الممتلكات المذكورة لمثل هذه الاستخدامات الخيرية لصالح الجدارة والماسونيين المعوزين ، والأرامل والمُعاليين كما سيختار الوصي المذكور (المحفل الكبير) ".

السيد ويتال ، الحاصل على درجة 33 ماسون ، والذي تم صنع الهدية في ذاكرته ، كان مصنع سجاد معروف عالميًا ، وكان لعدة سنوات قبل وفاته في عام 1921 ، عضوًا في مجلس إدارة Grand Lodge ، و جاد ومخلص ميسون. كان عضوًا في Athelslan Lodge ، وتم تأسيس A.F. و A.M. ، وكان عضوًا في ذلك المحفل وأصبح أول سيد عبادة منتخب في 1920-1921.

يضم العقار ما بين 85 و 100 فدان من الأراضي ، وقد تم تحسينه بشكل جميل وهو أحد أجمل العقارات السكنية في الكومنولث. فوق هذه الملكية يقف المنزل الجورجي الكبير الذي يعد معلمًا لأميال حوله. تطل على واحدة من أفضل المناظر في وسط ماساتشوستس.

تقع على قمة شاهقة ، أعلى قمة في مدينة شروزبري ، وأكثر من 700 قدم فوق مستوى سطح البحر ، وتطل على بحيرة كوينسيغاموند وما وراءها إلى تلال باكستون وروتلاند وإلى الشمال إلى جبل مونادنوك وجبل واتشوستس.

كانت Juniper Hall واحدة من أماكن العرض في مقاطعة Worcester منذ أن تم بناؤها في عام 1912. الحدائق مشهورة ومألوفة لآلاف الأشخاص ، حيث كان الجمهور دائمًا موضع ترحيب ، خاصة في الفترات التي كانت فيها عروض الأزهار في الأعلى. طورت السيدة ويتال الحوزة إلى مزيج نادر من الحدائق الرسمية وتكييف النباتات المزروعة مع البيئة البرية.

السيدة ويتال هي ابنة هنري تافت كلارك ، رائد ميسون في ولاية نبراسكا ، وأول رجل تمت ترقيته إلى درجة الماجستير الماسونيين في تلك الولاية. كان أحد مؤسسي النزل الأول الذي تم إنشاؤه في نبراسكا ، وكان طوال حياته أحد رعاة المؤسسة في تلك الولاية القضائية الكبرى.

في الخطاب الفصلي لـ Grand Lodge ، 14 كانون الأول (ديسمبر) ، صرح Grand Frank L. Simpson في عرض هذه الهدية: "آمل أن يتحقق الغرض من المتبرع وأن تُخصص هذه الممتلكات لاستخدامها كمستشفى لرعاية الأخ البنائين المنكوبين وأحفادهم الذين لا يمكن إيجاد أماكن إقامة مناسبة لهم في المؤسسات القائمة. أوصي بقبول هبة هذا العقار بناءً على الثقة المنصوص عليها في صك الامتياز وأن يتم تكييف القرارات المناسبة التي تعبر عن امتنان وإعجاب الأخوة للسخاء واللطف المحب اللذين دفعهما إلى الهبة ". "أوصي أيضًا بإرسال نسخة من هذه القرارات المناسبة إلى السيدة ويتال ، من قبل سلطات المحفل الكبير في شهادة تقدير إخوة ماساتشوستس لكرمهم وإحسانهم.

قاعة العرعر للاستخدامات الخيرية

منزل ريفي رائع سيُستخدم "لتخفيف المعاناة" بأي طريقة يرى اختصاص ولاية ماساتشوستس من النظام الأخوي أنه مناسب - تم تقديمه كنصب تذكاري لزوجها الراحل ، الذي كان ميسون بدرجة 33 درجة ، في الذكرى الخامسة لوفاته
______________

السيدة ماثيو جيه ويتال قد تصرفت إلى Grand Lodge of Masons of Massachusetts منزلها الريفي الجميل ، Juniper Hall ، على قمة تل Meeting House ، في Shrewsbury. الهدية في ذكرى زوجها الراحل ماثيو جون ويتال ، الذي كان هو نفسه ميسون 33 د. وهي مصنوعة في حوالي الذكرى الخامسة لوفاته.

سيعرف مكان الإقامة باسم Juniper Hall Memorial. الغرض منه
سيكون "تخفيف المعاناة".

تتكون الحوزة من حوالي 100 فدان من الأراضي ، والتي يقف عليها
منزل جورجي عظيم ، وهو معلم لأميال عديدة حوله. هو - هي
أوامر واحدة من أفضل المناظر في وسط ماساتشوستس. النبيلة
أعلى قمة في مدينة شروزبري ، ويطل على بحيرة كوينسيغاموند وما وراءها إلى تلال باكستون وروتلاند ، وإلى الشمال إلى جبل مونادنوك وجبل واتشوست وغيرها من الأماكن البعيدة. في حين أنه ليس بعيدًا عن قرية شروزبري وطريق بوسطن بوست ، فإن المسافة كافية لمنح المكان عزلة تبعث على الانزعاج.

قد يكون مستشفى
جراند لودج لم يقرر بعد ما هو بالضبط استخدام الممتلكات
سوف توضع. من المحتمل أن يكون ذلك من طبيعة المستشفى التي يوجد بها مرضاها
سيكون أعضاء ماساتشوستس من النظام. قامت لجنة النزل الكبير ، برئاسة جراند ماستر فرانك ل. سيمبسون ، من بوسطن ، بتفتيش رسمي للمكان يوم الثلاثاء ، وتم تقديم القبول الرسمي لعرض السيدة ويتال السخي وغير المتوقع لها.

كانت Juniper Hall واحدة من أماكن العرض في مقاطعة Worcester منذ أن تم بناؤها من قبل السيد والسيدة ويتال ، في عام 1912. الحدائق مشهورة ومألوفة لآلاف الأشخاص ، حيث كان الجمهور دائمًا موضع ترحيب ، خاصة في الفترات التي كانت فيها عروض الأزهار في أوجها. كان أسبوع الليلك في جونيبر هول أحد أحداث الموسم للأشخاص الذين يحبون الزهور. السيدة ويتال هي نفسها بستاني هاو لا يتمتع بمهارة متوسطة ، وقد طورت أفكارها العقار إلى مزيج نادر من الحدائق الرسمية وتكييف الخطط المزروعة مع البيئة البرية. اجتذب مرجها حيث تنمو القزحية البرية في الأعشاب المحلية العديد من الزوار المهتمين ، في موسم الإزهار.

القصر كبير جدا. الأرض المستمرة لها تتناسب مع تشييد المباني الأخرى حيث يجد Grand Lodge أنه من المرغوب فيه توفير المزيد من أماكن الإقامة في تنفيذ الغرض من النصب التذكاري.

تنتقل ملكية العقار إلى النزل الكبير على الفور. ومع ذلك ، فمن غير المرجح أن يبدأ الإشغال الفعلي قبل الربيع المقبل. في غضون ذلك ، لا شك في أنه سيتم وضع خطط أكثر تفصيلا لنطاق أنشطة الإغاثة التي سيتم تنفيذها هناك. كانت ملكية تلة ميتنج هاوس تتكون في الأصل من سبع قطع من الممتلكات ، ولكل منها مالك مختلف. جمعها مكتب تشارلز أ.كابلي من أجل السيد ويتال.

هذه المعلومات مأخوذة من دفتر قصاصات في مجموعة Shrewsbury Historical Society
لا يوجد تاريخ للمقال - يُعتقد أنه في شهر مايو من عام 1927


تاريخ المدينة

تأسست نورويتش عام 1659 من قبل مستوطنين من سايبروك بقيادة الرائد جون ماسون والقس جيمس فيتش. تم شراء الأرض من قبيلة Mohegan المحلية ، بقيادة ساشيم ، أونكاس. كانت التسوية المبكرة حول نورويتشتاون جرين. تم إحضار الإمدادات من هبوط بالقرب من قاعدة شلالات يانتيك. بحلول عام 1684 ، سمح المستوطنون بهبوط عام جديد على رأس نهر التايمز ، موقع وسط المدينة الحالي.

جلبت مرافق الإنزال المحسنة سفنًا أكبر وحفزت نمو التجارة. تم تبادل المنتجات من المزارع الداخلية والغابات في شرق ولاية كونيتيكت في جزر الهند الغربية مقابل السكر والدبس والروم والأفارقة المستعبدين. بحلول منتصف القرن الثامن عشر الميلادي ، افتخر الميناء بميناء بحري استعماري مزدهر يُعرف باسم تشيلسي لاندينغ.

ثورة

في نهاية الحرب الفرنسية والهندية في عام 1763 ، أدت السياسات التجارية البريطانية الأكثر تقييدًا وقانون الطوابع لعام 1764 إلى احتجاجات واسعة النطاق في المستعمرات. كان أحد الردود هو استبدال البضائع المستوردة من إنجلترا بأخرى محلية الصنع. بدأ كريستوفر ليفينجويل تصنيع الورق والفخار والشوكولاته والجوارب في هذا الوقت.

عندما اندلعت مقاومة الحكم البريطاني في ثورة مفتوحة ، لعب قادة نورويتش أدوارًا مهمة كقادة عسكريين وسياسيين. خدم جديديا هنتنغتون كمساعد لجورج واشنطن. خدم صموئيل هنتنغتون ، ابن عمه ، في الكونجرس القاري وكان رئيسًا لتلك الهيئة عندما تم تبني بنود الاتحاد عام 1781. أصبح أحد الأبطال الأوائل للثورة ، بنديكت أرنولد ، المولود في نورويتش ، سيئ السمعة كخائن.

مدينة متنامية

The city of Norwich was incorporated in 1784, one of the first five Connecticut cities. The abundant waterpower available on the Yantic and Shetucket rivers provided the motive power for textile factories, which by the mid-1800s dominated the local economy.

Steamboats brought passengers and freights to Norwich wharves. Goods and passengers were transferred to the Norwich & Worcester railroad, constructed from 1835 to 1840. Raw cotton and wool were shipped to textile mills throughout the region, and finished cloth shipped back. Norwich became the commercial, transportation, and manufacturing hub of the region.

Norwich was rocked by the controversy over slavery prior to the Civil War. David Ruggles, a key figure in the Underground Railroad, was raised in Norwich. Sarah Harris and other members of her family sought educational opportunities and civil rights for blacks. Norwich Free Academy, founded in 1854, continues to provide secondary education for Norwich and surrounding towns. NFA had non-discriminatory practices from its beginnings.

By the Civil War, the Republicans dominated city politics and controlled the state government. Governor William A. Buckingham and Mayor James Lloyd Greene supported the war effort. As in the Revolution, Norwich supplied men, firearms, and ships. The city welcomed the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation on January 1, 1863. After Lincoln&rsquos assassination, US Senator Lafayette S. Foster served as acting Vice-President. Frances M. Caulkins completed her revised History of Norwich in 1866.

A Thriving City

Rapid industrial growth transformed Norwich into a modern urban center by the early 20th century. Electric trolleys were introduced in 1892. Mohegan Park, started in 1907 with private donations and purchase, is centered around Spaulding Pond. Another important greenspace, Lowthorpe Meadows, was set aside by private philanthropists in the same year.

Immigrants from French Canada, southern and eastern Europe, the Cape Verde islands, and other areas, as well as internal migrants from the American South, reshaped the city in the late 1800s and the 1900s. Their skills and labor went to support the city&rsquos mills and businesses. Settling in various sections of town, the newcomers introduced new churches, cultural organizations, and self-help associations, greatly enriching the diversity of the city. Recent newcomers to Norwich have included Haitians, Spanish-speakers from Central and South America, and Asians, predominantly Chinese.

Civic groups had an important role in city improvements during the 20th century. A progressive city, Norwich moved to take over public utilities in 1904. City government was reorganized as a council/manager form in 1951. In 2001, a charter revision restored the office of Mayor, but retained the city manager.

Today&rsquos Norwich is a thriving city with a stable population, full range of municipal services, a modern industrial park and minor league ball team, its own publicly-owned electric, gas and water utility, and a positive outlook for residential and business growth.


Worcester and Norwich - History

Detail for a Map exhibiting the route of the Norwich & Worcester rail-road surveyed by James P. Kirkwood, James Laurie (Civil Engineers). كاليفورنيا. 1835 - Connecticut Historical Society and Connecticut History Illustrated

An ad for the Norwich and Worcester Rail-Road for contractors from the September 17, 1836, edition of the Hartford Times

On August 28, 1837, the directors of the Norwich and Worcester Railroad celebrated the completion of the Taft Tunnel in Lisbon. The first railroad tunnel in Connecticut and among the earliest tunnels built in America it remains one of the oldest railroad tunnels still in active use. Dr. Nott, of Franklin, delivered the prayer at the dedication and Asa Child, Esq., general agent of the company, delivered the address to the assembled crowd.

At this time, Railroad transportation was relatively new to Connecticut, which chartered its first railroads in 1832. Built to connect the waters of Long Island Sound with the manufacturing heart of Massachusetts, the Norwich to Worcester line covered the route in the shortest possible distance. In a study conducted by Roger Huntington prior to its construction, Huntington estimated that businesses transported 15,000 tons of goods along this route annually (excluding the towns of Norwich and Worcester). The goods included paper and iron as well as products from the 27 woolen and 75 cotton mills along the route.

James Laurie, co-founder of the American Society of Civil Engineers and chief engineer for the railroad, oversaw the project. Due to the drastic change in elevation near Quinnebaug Falls it became necessary to tunnel through the hill. Builders initially found much of the rock to be unstable and a passage from the summit to the foundation had to be opened for 75 feet before the men could even begin to tunnel through solid rock. The result was a slightly curved, narrow tunnel measuring 300 feet long by 23 feet wide and 18 feet high. The tunnel is currently part of the Providence and Worcester Railroad.

Taftville Tunnel. Photograph by an unknown photographer, ca. 1900 – Connecticut Historical Society


A HISTORY OF NORWICH

Norwich started as a small Anglo-Saxon settlement north of the River Wensum in Norfolk. In time it grew into a town, perhaps because of its situation on a river. (In those days it was much cheaper and easier to transport goods for sale by water than by land). It became known as North Wic (wic is an old word for port and Norwich was an inland port). The name Norwich first appears on a coin minted in the early 10th century.

By then Norwich was a large and important town (although it would appear no more than a village to us). It had a mint and would have had a weekly market. Norwich was probably also a burgh or fortified settlement. The town would have been surrounded by a ditch and earth embankment with a wooden palisade on top.

In the 10th century, Norwich grew rapidly. As the town grew the settlement spread to the south bank of the river. Gradually the settlement at Norwich shifted from north to south of the River Wensum.

Then in 1004 the Danes sacked and burned Norwich. (That was easy since the buildings were of wood with thatched roofs). However, Norwich was soon rebuilt and flourished once again. The Danes left many place names in this part of England. The street name ‘gate’, as in Pottergate, is derived from the Danish word gata meaning street. Potter gata was the street where potters lived and worked. The meaning of Fishergate is obvious. The street name Tombland is derived from a Danish word meaning empty space. Fingelgate comes from a Danish word meaning bend or elbow.

NORWICH IN THE MIDDLE AGES

By the time of the Domesday Book, in 1086, Norwich was one of the largest towns in England with a population of about 6,000. Although that seems tiny to us settlements were very small in those days, a typical village only had 100 to 150 inhabitants. By the 14th century, the population of Norwich had probably grown to about 10,000.

In Norwich, as in most Medieval towns, the main industry was the manufacture of wool. First, it was woven then it was fulled. That means the wool was cleaned and thickened by being pounded in a mixture of water and clay known as fuller’s earth. The wool was pounded by wooden hammers worked by watermills. Afterward, it was dyed.

Another important industry in Medieval Norwich was leatherworking. In Norwich, there were tanners, saddlers, and shoemakers. there were also many goldsmiths in Norwich. There were also the same craftsmen found in any medieval town such as blacksmiths, carpenters, brewers, bakers, potters, tailors, and thatchers.

In Norwich there were weekly markets. There was also an annual fair. In the Middle Ages fairs were like markets but they were held only once a year for a period of a few days. People would come from all over eastern England and London to sell at a Norwich fair. The main export from Norwich was wool. Imports included woad for dyeing, timber, and pitch, wine, millstones, and fish from Great Yarmouth.

In 1094 the local bishop moved his seat from Thetford to Norwich. In 1096 he began building a new cathedral. Stone was brought from Caen in France and a little canal was dug to transport it from the river to the site of the new cathedral. However, the cathedral was not consecrated until 1268. The Normans also built a wooden castle in Norwich. In the early 12th century it was rebuilt in stone.

In 1194 Norwich was given a charter (a document granting the townspeople certain rights). From then on they elected a Reeve, an official who governed the town day to day. In 1265 there was a civil war between the king and some barons. In 1266 some rebel barons sacked Norwich but the town soon recovered.

In the early 13th century the friars arrived in England. Friars were like monks but instead of withdrawing from the world, they went out to preach and help the poor. There were 4 groups of friars in Norwich. There were Dominican friars (called blackfriars because of their black costumes). There were also Franciscan or grey friars and Carmelite or white friars. There were also Augustinian friars. There are still streets in Norwich called Blackfriars, Greyfriars, and Whitefriars. Different orders of friars once lived there.

In the Middle Ages, the church ran the only hospitals. The Hospital of St Paul was founded in the early 12th century. Great Hospital was founded in 1249. There were also 6 leper hostels around the town. (This dreadful disease declined in the 15th century and had disappeared by the 16th). In 1272 the monks of the Cathedral Priory provoked a riot when they attempted to charge tolls on the annual fair at Tombland. The rioters burned part of the Priory.

Cow Tower was built in 1278 for collecting tolls. It was rebuilt in 1399. Stone walls were built around Norwich from 1297 to 1334. The Bridewell was built around 1370. From 1583 to 1828 it was used as a prison.

During the Peasants Revolt in 1381, the rebels captured Norwich. They did not hold Norwich for long, however. The bishop mustered an army and the rebels retreated to North Walsham where they were easily defeated. Norwich school was founded in 1316. Also in 1316 Ethelbert Gate, Cathedral Close was built.

In 1404 Norwich was given a new charter and it gained a mayor. The Guildhall was built in 1407. Then in 1420, Sir Thomas Erpingham built Erpingham Gate in Cathedral Close. St Peter Mancroft was built in 1455 and in 1463 a spire was added to Norwich Cathedral. Strangers Hall was built in the mid-15th century. Meanwhile, Julian of Norwich lived in Norwich in the 14th and early 15th century.

NORWICH IN THE 16th CENTURY

In 1500 the population of Norwich was around 10,000 and it was one of the largest towns in England. In 1505 Norwich suffered a severe fire. Two more followed in 1507. (Fire was a constant hazard because most of the buildings were of wood with thatched roofs). The Guildhall was built in 1513. The friaries were closed by Henry VIII in 1539 but some of the hospitals were taken over by the corporation.

In 1549 came Ketts rebellion. Enraged by their treatment by landowners some of the farmers of Norfolk rose in rebellion. They took control of Norwich and camped on Mousehold Heath. The first attempt to crush the rebellion failed.

A small force led by the Marquis of Northampton entered Norwich and fought in the streets but was then forced to withdraw. The government then sent a much larger force under the Earl of Warwick. This time the rebels were driven out of Norwich. They withdrew to Mousehold Heath then to Dussindale. The earl’s men attacked and routed them. Afterward, about 300 rebels were hanged including Kett.

Then in 1579, there was an outbreak of plague, which may have killed 1/3 of the population of the town. However, Norwich soon recovered. In Tudor England, there were always plenty of poor people in the countryside willing to come to the town to look for work.

After 1565 many weavers came to Norwich fleeing religious persecution in what is now Holland and Belgium. They brought their canaries with them. Soon the native people of Norwich adopted rearing canaries as a hobby. By the 18th century Norwich was famous for its canaries and today Norwich football team is nicknamed the Canaries. The weavers may have boosted the population of the town to about 16,000 by the 1580s. In the early 16th century, Norwich seems to have suffered an economic decline but it began to prosper again in the late 16th century.

NORWICH IN THE 17th CENTURY

The population of Norwich rose rapidly in the 17th century and reached about 25,000 in 1700. This was despite outbreaks of plague. It struck twice, in 1625 and again in 1665 but each time the town recovered. Meanwhile, a children’s ‘hospital’ (really an orphanage) was founded in 1621.

During the civil war 1642-46 most of the people of Norwich supported parliament. There was no actual fighting at Norwich during the civil war. However, there was a riot in 1648. The mayor was a royalist and parliament ordered his dismissal. But the mayor was popular and his supporters rioted. They attacked the homes of well-known puritans and then entered the Committee House where gunpowder was stored. Somehow the gunpowder exploded killing some 40 people. Afterward, 8 of the rioters were hanged.

A ‘hospital’ or almshouse for old people was built in Norwich in 1688.

NORWICH IN THE 18th CENTURY

In the 18th century wool manufacture was still the main industry in Norwich. Wool was exported to North America. There were many imports into Norwich including tea, silk, and porcelain from the Far East. Tobacco from North America. Sugar, rum, and mahogany from the West Indies. Fish was brought by ship from Great Yarmouth and coal from Newcastle. Leatherworking was still an important industry in Georgian Norwich. Brewing flourished in this century. In the late 18th century some silk was woven in Norwich.

Meanwhile Bethel Hospital for the mentally ill was built in 1714.

For the well-off life grew more comfortable during the 18th century. The first newspaper in Norwich began publication in 1721. An Assembly House was built in Theatre Street in 1754 where people could play cards and attend balls. The first bank was founded in 1756.

In the years 1791-1801 the gates in Norwich town walls were demolished to ease the flow of traffic. Meanwhile, in 1780 Elizabeth Fry, the prison reformer, was born in Gurney Court in Magdalene Street and in 1797 Nelson gave the city of Norwich the sword owned by a Spanish admiral, which was captured after the battle of Cape St Vincent.

NORWICH IN THE 19th CENTURY

In 1801 Norwich had a population of 36,000. It was still one of the largest towns in Britain but it soon fell behind as towns in the North and the Midlands mushroomed. Nevertheless, Norwich did grow during the 19th century and by 1900 it had a population of over 100,000. In the early and mid 19th century skilled workers built houses at Heigham and around Vauxhall Street. The middle classes built houses along Thorpe Road.

However, like all 19th-century towns, Norwich was dirty, overcrowded, and unsanitary. There were epidemics of smallpox, typhoid, cholera, and diphtheria during the century. In 1819 there were 530 deaths from smallpox.

Nevertheless, there were many improvements to Norwich in the 19th century. In 1804 a dispensary was opened where the poor could obtain free medicines. In 1806 an act of parliament formed a body of men called the Improvement Commissioners who had powers to pave, clean, and light the streets. The first police force in Norwich was formed in 1836.

As early as the 18th century there was a piped water supply in Norwich – for those who could afford it but the water was impure. In the 1850s the council built a pure water supply. In the 1870s they built a network of sewers. After 1877 they began slum clearance.

Life in 19th century Norwich gradually improved. The first public library opened in 1857. Chapelfields was opened as a public park in 1852. The Roman Catholic Cathedral in Norwich was built in 1884. Mousehold Heath opened as a park in 1886. The Castle Museum opened in 1894. The Royal Arcade was built in 1899. Meanwhile in 1844 Norwich was connected to Yarmouth by train. From 1849 it was connected to London.

During the 19th century wool weaving and silk weaving in Norwich rapidly declined. However, leatherworking boomed. So did brewing. Norwich became famous for boot and shoemaking. In the late 19th century an engineering industry grew up in Norwich and flourished. There was also a mustard-making industry.

NORWICH IN THE 20th CENTURY

From 1900 to 1935 electric trams ran in Norwich but they were replaced by buses. The first cinema in Norwich opened in 1912. James Stuart Garden opened in 1922. Bridewell Museum opened in 1925. A war memorial was erected in 1927. Woodrow Pilling Park opened in 1929. Waterloo Park opened in 1933. The City Hall was built in 1938.

The council built houses on the outskirts of Norwich in the 1920s and 1930s. Many more were built after 1945. They were needed partly because 3,000 houses had been damaged or destroyed by the German bombing.

A new central library was built in 1962 but it burned down in 1994. Norwich University was founded in 1963. The Arts Centre opened in 1977. Anglia Square Shopping Centre opened in 1980. Castle Mall opened in 1993. Riverside Leisure Complex opened in 1999. In the late 20th century the main industries in Norwich were printing, electronics, engineering, and finance. Tourism also became an important industry.

كاتدرائية نورويتش

NORWICH IN THE 21st CENTURY

In the 21st century, Norwich is still a thriving city. In 2002 a building called The Forum was opened. It includes the Millennium Library. Then in 2005 Chapelfield Shopping Centre opened. In 2020 the population of Norwich was 148,000.


20th-Century

In the first decade of the 20 th century, the population of Salem, Mass., was more than one-fifth Quebecois and their children. In South Salem’s Little Canada, children attended French schools like Sainte-Chrétienne. They built French churches like Église Sainte-Anne and they started French businesses like St. Pierre’s Garage, Ouellette Construction and Soucy Insurance.

St. Ann’s Church complex, Woonsocket.

Franco-Americans were almost all Roman Catholic, and strict ones at that. They believed that abandoning the French language meant abandoning their religion, and they clung to their language and customs longer than many other immigrant communities. They called it لا survivance. Battles often erupted between French parishes and the Irish-dominated parishes over their desire to hire French-speaking priests.


History of Norwich

Norwich is an ancient city that lies at the heart of rural East Anglia. It was the Anglo Saxons who first made their homes beside the river Wensum, and it was from one of these settlements, which bore the name Northwic, that the city got its name. The settlement grew and grew and merged with others to become the largest walled town in medieval England. In 1066, at the time of the Norman Conquest, Norwich was one of the most important boroughs in the kingdom. Trade by river and sea was increasing and light industry had begun to develop. The market on Tombland was thriving with local produce, pottery, ironwork, wooden and leather goods, as well as furs from Scandinavia and Russia, woollen cloth from Flanders and herring from the North Sea.

Norwich Castle was built by the Norman Conquerors as a show of strength. A steep-sided artificial hill was constructed in 1067 which was 40 feet (13 metres) above ground level. Originally the castle was made of wood and was replaced 60 years later by a stone keep, which can still be seen today.

The keep was roughly 70 feet (20 metres) high, with walls about 100 feet (30 metres) long, and was virtually square in shape. It was built of local flint and mortar, and faced with stone.

In 1096 work started on the Cathedral. Churches and Saxon houses were cleared so that a canal could be dug from the River Wensum to the site of the Cathedral. This meant that stone from Caen in Normandy could be brought directly to the building site by water, thus making lighter work. By 1119 the transepts, presbytery and four bays of the nave had been built, but the Cathedral was not finally consecrated until 1278.

By Medieval times Norwich had within its walls 56 churches. Many of these were built as a reflection of wealth of local landowners. In 1194 Norwich became a city when Richard I granted a charter giving rights of self government. 1349 was when The Black Death hit Norwich and it is thought that as many as two-fifths of the population of roughly 6,000 people may have died. With a high proportion of clergy dying, four parish churches fell into disuse because of the lack of priests and parishioners. However, by 1377, Norwich’s population had risen back to 6,000. Many of the new residents were peasants who had left their unproductive homeland to seek work in the city’s growing textile trade. At the beginning of the 14th century, weaving was the most important trade in the city and, within a hundred years, Norwich was considered the main centre of worsted manufacture in the country. This industry continued for the next five hundred years until machinery was introduced during the Industrial Revolution thus making skilled craftsmen redundant.

The Peasants’ Revolt of 1381 meant life at the end of the 14th century was far from peaceful. Armies of rebels set fire to the houses of lawyers and other wealthy folk and it was the bishop, who, with his own army, eventually managed to restore order to the city.

During the early 16th century there were several fires which swept through Norwich, destroying whole streets of thatched and Tudor timbered houses. It is thought that 718 houses were burnt to the ground over a four day period in March 1507, and in June of the same year an additional 360 homes were lost. This was almost half of the city’s housing, which led to a decision that all new buildings should have tiled roofs.

In 1549 an army of 20,000 rebels, led by Wymondham farmer Robert Kett, took over control of the city causing a lot of destruction, they were protesting about an increase in rent and the enclosure of local common land for grazing by rich sheep farmers. They made their camp on Mousehold Heath and it took two royal armies six weeks to defeat them. Kett and forty eight other rebels were hanged at Norwich Castle.

In 1565 there was great concern about the decline in the worsted industry. The city authorities arranged for thirty households of religious refugees to come over from the Netherlands to teach the local craftsmen how to produce different types of cloth. Not only did the ‘Strangers’ (as they were known) bring over their knowledge of weaving, they also brought with them a love of gardens and canary breeding.

By the end of the 16th century the weaving trade was busy and cloth merchants and grocers were making their fortunes. The local gentry could now buy medicines, imported food and fine clothes without travelling to London. Norwich seemed to be prospering again however, according to the mayor, in 1570 about a fifth of the population were living on charity and the city was rife with tramps.

Norwich experienced its last epidemic of Bubonic Plague during 1665-6 this resulted in most of the wealthy citizens leaving Norwich. Unemployment became a serious problem, followed by a severe food shortage in 1666, which was only averted by huge catches of herring which were brought ashore at Great Yarmouth. Agricultural wages in East Anglia were very poor and country life became increasingly difficult this prompted people to move from the country into the city in search of work. The textile industry was recovering from a slump as new interest in fashion meant there were employment opportunities for many. Norwich was now exporting its cloth to Europe, North America, India and China.

By the early 1670’s Norwich had a population of around 21,000 and was probably the largest provincial town in England. Improvements to the main roads and the development of horse-drawn coaches meant that travelling between towns became easier in the 17th and 18th centuries. The gentry of Norfolk and Suffolk would come into Norwich to make purchases and to take part in social events such as card playing and dancing. During the 18th century Norwich’s leather industry steadily grew, making such items as buckets, harnesses, hosepipes, boots and shoes. Brewing also became increasingly important and Norfolk malting barley was considered the best in the country. By 1801 the city had six large breweries, supplying local needs, as well as sending beer to London for sale.

Improvements in local agriculture meant an increased production and a new cattle market grew up around the Castle. Norwich’s first bank was opened in 1756 and it was in 1775 that a local family, John and Henry Gurney, started a bank which still survives today as part of Barclays. It was in 1792 that Thomas Bignold, a wine merchant and banker, started the insurance business which was to become Norwich Union. The prosperity of the 18th century meant there was money to invest in building work. Subsequently the Assembly House was built in 1754, and the old Norfolk and Norwich hospital was constructed in 1771-2.

During the 19th century the population of Norwich increased from 37,256 in 1811 to 80,368 in 1871. The city began to expand beyond its walls and the living conditions were somewhat unhealthy with no supply of clean water there were epidemics of cholera and various other deadly diseases. This improved when a new waterworks was built which provided filtered water, and generally people’s awareness of public health increased.

Norwich originally had three railway stations, but only Thorpe Station, which was opened in 1844, remains today. The meadow land around Thorpe Station soon became crowded with houses and hotels for the railway workers, and factories were built beside the river to take advantage of water and rail transportation. Professional people began building their homes outside the city walls, as the city centre was becoming overcrowded. The area between Ber Street and King Street was particularly over-populated with slum housing. In 1892 work began on the church of St John the Baptist, which was later to become the Roman Catholic Cathedral.

It was in the 19th century that Jeremiah Colman built a new mustard mill at Carrow, A.J Caley began making chocolates at Chapelfield and John Jarrold opened his printing works at Whitefriars.

During the 20th century the city’s population increased from 121,490 in 1911 to an estimated 180,000 in 1980. Re-housing schemes and slum clearance began in the late 19th century and continued for many years, with council houses providing improved living conditions for thousands of people. In 1900 an extensive tram system meant that people could travel cheaply throughout the city, and it ran for thirty years. By the 1920’s the Guildhall, which had been the civic headquarters for over five hundred years, was now too small. The decision was made to build a new city hall, which was opened by George VI in October 1938.

Norwich was bombed more than forty times during the Second World War, and was selected for two of the Baedeker raids in which historic buildings were targeted in excess of 30,000 houses were damaged, 100 factories, as well as seven medieval churches and numerous shops, were destroyed. Rebuilding started in the 1950’s and the central library was built in 1963, with the University of East Anglia (UEA) taking its first students in that same year.

In the early 1990’s the site of the old cattle market was excavated to house the Castle Mall shopping centre, an innovative scheme, built on several levels, using the medieval street patterns and linking the east and west sides of the city centre.


History of Railroad Line Serving Webster, Massachusetts

Oct 02, 2018 #1 2018-10-02T13:18

I am trying to gather some historical information on a passenger railway that operated in the late 1960s. It ran periodically from New London, CT to Webster, Massachusetts, including several other stops along the route and terminated, I believe, in Worcester, Massachusetts. I am specifically interested learning:

- Years during which it operated
- Passenger stations along the line
- Reasons why the service terminated

Finding photos of the trains that ran on that line, or any pictures of the Webster, MA station during that era would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help!

Oct 03, 2018 #2 2018-10-04T00:25

I don't know if this issue answers all your questions, but it appears Shoreliner Volume 21 Issue 2 included an extensive article on Webster, plus companion articles:

  • "Webster, on the Norwich & Worcester Branch" -- The history of the rail lines serving Webster, MA. 24 pages with photos (some color including the front cover and centerspread) and maps.
  • "The Southern New England -- 'The Old Grand Trunk'" -- The story of the Grand Trunk Railway's planned line between it's subsidiary Central Vermont line in Palmer, MA, and waterfront facilities in Providence, RI. Includes construction photos in Webster and Southbridge. 6 pages with photos and maps.
  • "Trolley Stop: The Street Railways of Webster" -- The history of trolley service in and about Webster, MA. 4 pages with photos and map.

Oct 03, 2018 #3 2018-10-04T02:13

Thanks Bill!
Sounds like that's exactly what I need. I'll order it right away!

Oct 04, 2018 #4 2018-10-04T09:50

Oct 04, 2018 #5 2018-10-04T13:20

S7ajrwgWYGoG93LXUH3jIk672fQxFUA5mTe8CNTkzJtxg6Behx6mAeS6ueFOLcPvwFAn2HdQrGDLnIEWg__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJS72YROXJYGYDADA" />

Oct 04, 2018 #6 2018-10-04T13:52

Go to the NHRHTA home page http://www.nhrhta.org/ on the right is a column of links , scroll down and click on MAP OF THE NEW HAVEN RR/NHRHTA PUBLICATIONS BY LINE then on the new page click on the Map Link A larger map of the New Haven Railroad, from a 1929 train schedule, can also be viewed. This will bring up a map that allows you click a location that will list all NHRHTA publications and Shoreliners that have material on that location,in your case click on Webster..There is a long list of links you can look through on the page that the map link is on. There is also a link to the page that list all currently available back issues it is the publications sale page.
The Budd car service started around 1952 for a year or 2 the service was 3 round trips Worcester New London . The service was cut back to 2 round trips for the remainder of the time until Amtrak which did not chose to keep this service running.
I watched and heard these trains many time in the 1950s and 1960s as it operated through Oxford Mass many times as a young railfan. I also remember my parents taking the Budd Car to New York and back to Webster about 1960.
Ron High

If you find an issue you want is not available post a request on the forum you may find someone that can help you.


Stagecoach Inn

The Stagecoach Inn, a fitting name for one of Vermont’s old stagecoach stops.

At the start of the 19th century, ancient footpaths connected Burlington and Montpelier in Vermont. In 1805, the 36-mile Winooski Turnpike along the Winooski River was chartered to connect the two major towns.

The old Winooski Turnpike turned into U.S. Route 2, the main highway connecting the White Mountains to the Adirondacks. It cuts through Waterbury, the town where Ben and Jerry’s make their ice cream.

In 1826 either a Mr. Parmalee or a lawyer named Dan Carpenter had a structure built on the corner of the Winooski Turnpike and what is now Route 100. The building served as a tavern and inn for travelers and as a meeting place for locals.

By the mid-1800s, a farming family named the Henrys owned the inn. Their eccentric daughter Nettie married an Ohio rubber baron, Albert Spencer. Nettie smoked cigarettes, chewed tobacco and wore a celluloid eyeshade. She expanded and improved the old family house in Queen Anne Style.

Nettie Spencer died in 1947. The home was later run as a rooming house and fell into disrepair. A young couple from Boston bought the property in 1985 and rebuilt the house. Today it’s the Old Stagecoach Inn, a historic bed-and-breakfast in the center of downtown Waterbury.

For more information about the Stagecoach Inn click here.

This story about New England stagecoach stops was updated in 2020. If you enjoyed this story, you may also want to read about six Revolutionary taverns here.


شاهد الفيديو: كلام قوي عن انتكاس الفطرةالشيخ عبدالعزيز الطريفي